Sign in with
Your question

Cooling my motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2004 11:19:27 PM

I think I'm just being paranoid. My new PC is only a few months old assembled with all new parts. The motherboard is a LAN Party based on the nForce 3 250 Gb chipset. The CPU is an Athlon 64 3000+ using the stock cooler. I am not overclocking.

Anyway, I run the latest version of Sisoft and under the cooling devices section of the Motherboard module the fan is reported to be spinning at anywhere from 1350 to 1500 rpm. The temperatures in the system are relatively cool, I believe the processor was at 45 Celsius at its hottest. Just now it reads CPU and mainboard temps 44 C, Power/aux temp is 29 C.

What sent me into a panic is the little message under performance tips about the fan spinning to slowly or failing. I can hear the fan spinning, and I've even opened the case to verify it worked. Should I be concerned that Sisoft thinks my fan is failing? There have been absolutely no stability issues. The BIOS (which is the latest) is set to shut the PC off if temps reach 70 degrees Celsius and this has never happened. The other thing that mmakes me wonder if the fans are failing is consecutive checks of the mainboard info yield slower and slower fan speeds.

I'm inclined to think everything is okay, but just need some reassurance. Oh, somebody hold me... or at the very least shed some light on this so I may sleep at night.

Thanks in advance,

Brandt

More about : cooling motherboard

December 30, 2004 12:10:21 AM

Maybe the cool and quiet feature kicks in to reduce sped of fan because the CPU was not working too hard. that may be why the fans are spinning so low.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2004 1:16:08 AM

SiSoft can't tell what speed your fan is supposed to be spinning, it only knows that it's spinning slower than most fans have in the past.

Back in the days when nearly every cooler used a 60mm fan, anything below 2000RPM would normally be considered "too slow". Now we have larger coolers with larger fans, but SiSoft hasn't been reprogramed with that data.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 30, 2004 2:30:42 AM

pat and Crashman thanks. I should have mentioned, pat, that Cool n Quiet is disabled. It sounds like there is likely nothing to worry about.
!