Intel 915G Board - Yes or NO ?

webrajesh

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
Guys,

Iam just planning to buy a PC which is going to be used for a Rendering Application (similar to Autocad, Bryce, 3DS)

I am really confused on which PC to buy.
I have decided for the following Config :

Intel P4 2.8 GHZ
Intel 915G chipset Board
512 MB DDR Ram
----------------------
But when I surf the forums, I found that Intel 915G does not have MAJOR difference in performace...is it true ?

If thats teh case whats the config U suggest ?

intel 875 ? or 865 ?

Rgds

Rajesh

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
It's true, the benchmarks don't show much, if any, performance difference between 865, 875, 915, and I think even 925 (not 925xe) boards.

So, the choice is:

Socket 478 (865/875) or 775 (915/925): 478 comes with AGP, 775 with PCI-Express (PCIe).

If you can get a P4C (northwood) core at your speed point, get 478 (and a quality 865 chipset) because the P4C is a little faster clock-for clock than the P4E Prescott. But if you want the upgrade potential of PCIe, you'll have to get 775. In both cases I think getting a board that supports DDR (not DDR2) is better - there's hardly any performance difference between them currently, and you still pay a premium for DDR2.

I would also not get the 'g' versions with integrated graphics. Integrated graphics uses system ram as your graphics card ram, and that uses some of the memory bandwidth accordingly. Since Intel CPUs are notoriously (or at least noted for being) memory bandwidth-starved (or hungry - depending on point of view), spending a few bucks less for no video, and then buying a separate graphics card is probably well worth the price.

Mike.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are 915 boards for Socket 478.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want PCI-Express, go with the 915 chipset. If you want AGP graphics, go with the 865 or 875 chipset. Either way, I'd suggest a Socket 478 Northwood core P4, because the Prescott gives you a lot of heat penalty for no performance gains.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cheepgeek

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
aside comment:
if you're planning on using this pc for rendering, you may want to consider more memory. most people who do lots of heavy graphics go with 1GB split into dual channel.
and then yes to everything the other guys said...

ASUS P5P800 - P4 530 3.0GHz
2x256MB PC3200 2-2-2-5 - WD 74GB Raptor
PNY FX5200 128MB/256bit

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Gaah, why can't they keep it simple? [lol] (rhetorical question)

Next you'll be telling me they make PCI-e boards with an AGP slot... :evil:

Mike.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are PCIe boards with fake AGP slots, using the PCI interface.