Happy New Year all! Quick Question, upgrade advice

Drew888

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a PC in our office that needs to be a bit faster. It's an old PII 450.
I have workstations sharing files off of it in a server rm. but I suspect beefing it up a bit will improve file access. Anyway...
I am looking for a Motherboard that is solid as a rock that should fit fine in an older ATX case.
I was thinking along the lines of a P4 2.4c socket 478 because it's cheap and should do the trick nicely. I just cannot pick a motherboard.
This is a new business so I don't have the funds to just buy a system. I'd prefer to replace the motherboard w/ a CPU bundle, buy RAM, and that's it, if I can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

Msi model 865gvm2-LS is a micro atx board with video and 2 memory slots that should work well. It comes with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty, and msi offers direct rma service that takes about 2 weeks. Or abit offers the is7-10 for about $10 more with similar features and warranty. Both at newegg.com.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Another way to look at your situation is this (you didn't mention if you are running server os - will assume wrkstn os):
File sharing off a networked workstation is more network latency dependent and hard disk performance related than cpu intensive.
*Beefing up the network (Gig-E)
*Faster HD

If you want to do an economical upgrade, I saw quite a few p4 423 and 478 mb/cpu combos for around $100.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most systems like yours will accept a 1.4GHz Powerleap iP3/T upgrade kit. Which would mean you don't have to disassemble the computer, you just pull the CPU and pop in a new one.

If you really wanted a board upgrade, I'd want to know what brand of case you're using just to be sure it supports a standard rectangular replacement backplate.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I bet that P2 450 is plenty fast for your file serving needs. What would probably benefit you is getting a faster hard drive and more ram.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

Drew888

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks guys...it always feels good when someone actually responds to your post, and the almighty Crashman to boot :)

I'll take a look at the Msi and Abit boards...thanks.

It is a workstation OS, and on the suggestion of a friend it's w2k/sp4 while all pc's accessing it are all XP pro. Is there any benefit here or should I have upgraded the w2k OS to XP pro as well?
I am using a Linksys DSL/router and an AlphaShield. Is there a GigE version?

So it seems that I might be better off adding another 512mb of PC133 ram and maybe a Promise ATA100 card. the drive is a Hitachi 7200rpm 80gb.

Crashman you are right, I did just that to my Mom's pc last year and forgot about them. I added a 1.0Ghz to an old BX6 (the 1st pc I built) and it worked well.

I was just thinking that, for reliability reasons, that a newer board may last longer and if it's less than $240-260 then i'd go for it, but spending less is better if I am accomplishing almost the same thing.

On a side note, It's not right to post here, so I won't but I have another network related question. If you think you can help please look for my post in the networking section...thanks again!

Drew

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Well, going with what Soberlizard mentioned - it might be more reasonable to go get you a 24 port GIGE switch or 12 port (ie, however many you need) -- port that over to where all your internal users are working off of it -- then, port your lan access router into that switch. Then, the GIGE will only be good if all your other computers are working with GIGE network cards/onboards ... If they don't -- then guess might try beefing the computer up.

Searching on NewEgg -- there's some $70 5 port GIGEs and goes up from there...