Athlon XP 2000+ with FIC AZ11E

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
OK once I upgrade my K7S5A motherboard and get DDR RAM for the motherboard I intend to offload the SDRAM into my sisters FIC AZ11E motherboard, and replace the aging Duron 800 with my AMD Athlon 2000+ - however the motherboard only supports the now extinct Athlons and Durons.

Does anyone know where I can get a BIOS which will enable me to use AMD Athlon 2000+ XP with the FIC AZ11E motherboard? Also does anyone know the basic steps of flashing the BIOS and the risks involved.

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
The way I see it you will never get that CPU to work on that mainboard, but of course, I might be wrong. But I really think I'm not.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AZ11E uses KT133, not KT133A, correct? That chipset won't support a 133MHz FSB. It looks like you're stuck.

Of course if the 2000+ is unlocked you could try manually setting it to 16x100 or something.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the problem would be finding an SDR board that supported the XP's. Many KT133A boards could support at least the first core version of the XP. Later CPU's had their own problems (BIOS, voltage, etc).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Hmmmmmmmm I take it dat gettin an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ to work with and FIC AZ11E will be next to impossible.

I have another solution, I may have already posted this in this forum before, I guess it was not a popular topic. What about overclocking the AMD Duron 800 to at least 1.2ghz or higher. I have a spare cooler which was originally used on an AMD Atlon XP 2000+ so will this be sufficient to cool an overclocked Duron 800 to about 1.2ghz? I remember seeing an article in a really old Personal Computer World magazine that stated that it was possible to overclock these processors by using an HB pencil and drawing over some parts of the processor. Then once these parts have been drawn over I can then overclock the processor.

How do I go about overclocking my unlocked Duron 800, can I set some jumpers on my motherboard and change some settings in the BIOS? If so how do I go about doing this and will there be any extra requirements in order for the final result to be successful and stable.

Thanks for your help so far

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP