iPhone 4 has twice the RAM of iPad and 3GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfoo2324

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
The iPad looks so outdated now with its 1024 x 768 screen, 1/2 the RAM and no camera, not to mention a front facing one. Apple really dropped the ball on the engineering of the iPad, where two months later its totally outclassed by a PHONE! Too bad consumers can't recognize that and refuse to buy already outdated hardware. Instead, we're stuck with sheeple, with Steve Jobs tending the flock.

lo_vaquero

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Did apple screw up? They have supposedly sold 2 million iPads.

That's $1 billion minimum that they've managed to part from various fools of varying colors, fruits and adorations...

So what if it is now upscaled by a phone? Apple made a boatload of cash either way...

Tuguz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I've noticed that my friend's iPad slows down on some PDF documents. It was clear that this isn't really an ideal device from the start.

Sadly, most of my friends don't know that and they won't listen to your recommendations anyway.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Depends how you look at it. To me, having an iPad is better than no iPad. You can wait a year until the tablet market sorts itself out and buy the best machine going, or just enjoy the existing iPad for now. No, it doesn't do everything I want it to, but no device does.

I don't care if the iPhone has better specs than the iPad, the screen is too small to be useful for anything other than checking email when out and about.

jmchien

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I agree with zambutu... for people who have use for the iPad whether it's for fun or business they will buy (probably haven bought) the iPad and a better spec phone won't necessarily change that

512MB RAM is the norm for smart phones. Mine has 512MB with the droid incredible.

This news is like saying the iphone can multitask. Multitasking has been the norm for awhile.

[citation][nom]ern88[/nom]What is the norm ram for a smart phone these days?[/citation]

[citation][nom]lo_vaquero[/nom]Did apple screw up? They have supposedly sold 2 million iPads. That's $1 billion minimum that they've managed to part from various fools of varying colors, fruits and adorations...So what if it is now upscaled by a phone? Apple made a boatload of cash either way...[/citation]

Sure Apple can try to reinvent the condom and put a fruit logo on it doesn't mean it was successful technologically.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]lo_vaquero[/nom]Did apple screw up? They have supposedly sold 2 million iPads. That's $1 billion minimum that they've managed to part from various fools of varying colors, fruits and adorations...So what if it is now upscaled by a phone? Apple made a boatload of cash either way...[/citation]
I agree they made good money but when you undercut your products so quickly like this it'll drive customers away

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]ordcestus[/nom]I agree they made good money but when you undercut your products so quickly like this it'll drive customers away[/citation]

Easy, Apple will lure them back with iPad+ with identical set up as the new iPhone 4, just in time for Christmas shopping season. And then the next iPod Touch that's better than the iPad+...then the next iPhone that's better than the iPod...so on and so forth...

The sad thing is people keep falling for this incremental update trick.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]I'd say like 128-256.[/citation]

Actually most are shipping with 256MB as of today, many (Nexus one, Pre Plus, Evo 4G, to name a few) making the jump to 512MB. Only the lowest end smartphones still use 128.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
The more we learn about the iPhone 4, the more I find it stupid that the iPad wasn't beefed up more. Seriously, your tablet has half the RAM of your smartphone, when their launch dates were so close? Thats plain stupid.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]mattfoo2324[/nom]The iPad looks so outdated now with its 1024 x 768 screen, 1/2 the RAM and no camera, not to mention a front facing one. Apple really dropped the ball on the engineering of the iPad, where two months later its totally outclassed by a PHONE! Too bad consumers can't recognize that and refuse to buy already outdated hardware. Instead, we're stuck with sheeple, with Steve Jobs tending the flock.[/citation]
Huh I think the feat to overcome with the iPad was a marketing one not an engineering one. They're breaking into a new market and releasing a new device.
Why would you complicate that by increasing your production and materials cost right off the bat?
Why would you add more 2x more ram when your not even sure how the device is going to sell?

If the iPad launch failed, you just wasted a bunch of money by adding a bunch of ram, that it doesn't need.
If the iPad lanuch was successful you just wasted a bunch of money by adding a bunch of ram it doesn't need.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]512MB RAM is the norm for smart phones. Mine has 512MB with the droid incredible. This news is like saying the iphone can multitask. Multitasking has been the norm for awhile.[/citation]

That is a very broad statement, and really proved nothing. It's like saying "I can use battery acid to wash my dishes ..." just because you can doesn't mean you should, or that it is the best way to wash your dishes.

My point being that the iPhone4's system for multitasking has already been shown to be not only more intuitive by faster than any other smartphone out there currently.

Just because someone is first doesn't mean they are best.

[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]That is a very broad statement, and really proved nothing. It's like saying "I can use battery acid to wash my dishes ..." just because you can doesn't mean you should, or that it is the best way to wash your dishes.My point being that the iPhone4's system for multitasking has already been shown to be not only more intuitive by faster than any other smartphone out there currently. Just because someone is first doesn't mean they are best.[/citation]

what are you saying ? yes multitasking is the norm with almost any phone worth having.

I think what the poster you quoted was saying is
"IPHONE 4 is nothing new. All features it presents today are old news.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Actually most are shipping with 256MB as of today, many (Nexus one, Pre Plus, Evo 4G, to name a few) making the jump to 512MB. Only the lowest end smartphones still use 128.[/citation]

I guess that means my 64MB smartphone isn't so smart anymore? well on the box and manual it's listed as 128MB RAM and ROM but i guess that's the reason I-Mate only sells one phone now..

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]what are you saying ? yes multitasking is the norm with almost any phone worth having.I think what the poster you quoted was saying is "IPHONE 4 is nothing new. All features it presents today are old news.[/citation]

What I am saying is that just because there were other phones to "do it first" doesn't mean that they do it best.

I was comparing my friends EVO, an original Droid, and the new iPhone4 ... the iPhone4's method for multitasking is not only much more convenient and intuitive but it is faster. Yes, faster than the snapdragon.

The bottom line, and the point I was making, is that just because there are other phones that have the ability to multitask doesn't mean that they do it well. A fat kid can run, but that doesn't mean he will win the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.