Sign in with
Your question

Multiple IP addresses on one computer

Last response: in Windows 7
September 10, 2010 8:44:48 PM

Hello, I need to know how my computer has 2 IP addresses. I did not set this configuration and now I get kicked off the internet whenever the other address logs on. This feels like a major security issue. What should I do? Help!
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2010 5:23:08 AM

If this is a wireless connection I would be shutting it down and making it secure before using it, could be someone using your connection.
m
l
September 19, 2010 8:16:40 AM

Thank you for your reply. Not to be so naive, but how do you shut it down and make sure it is secure before using it?
Jonmor68 said:
If this is a wireless connection I would be shutting it down and making it secure before using it, could be someone using your connection.

m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2010 8:22:23 AM

Also, how does someone go about tapping into the connection on my computer? How do I block it? What other tech questions are involved?
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 19, 2010 8:26:39 AM

metalhed said:
Thank you for your reply. Not to be so naive, but how do you shut it down and make sure it is secure before using it?

By logging into the router you are connected to and turning off the wireless until you modify the security settings (use WPA2 and AES unless you have a device connecting to the router that requires something less secure like WEP) and add a password to authenticate to the wireless.

The IP you use to log into the router depends on the manufacturer. Linksys/Cisco typically uses 192.168.1.1, whereas D-Link typically uses 192.168.0.1. Let us know the manufacturer and model number of the router and we can further guide you on how to secure it properly.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2010 12:37:53 AM

metalhed said:
Also, how does someone go about tapping into the connection on my computer? How do I block it? What other tech questions are involved?

It is maddeningly simple if you use WEP. There are tons of software out there that can hack WEP, mainly the Backtrack distro. Even WPA can be hacked. Currently, I don't recommend using anything less than WPA2 with AES and a good password and DO have MAC address restrictions. If there is a device that don't support WPA2 with AES, I would seriously question using such a device. If you must use WEP, then at least enable MAC address filtering, that should keep most people out (that is, basically the script kiddies, not a semi-pro)

The default IP address for logging in to most of the routers is 192.168.1.1 (type this in to your browser). The default log in is usually admin with admin as the password or no password.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 21, 2010 1:27:31 AM

Shadow703793 said:
It is maddeningly simple if you use WEP. There are tons of software out there that can hack WEP, mainly the Backtrack distro. Even WPA can be hacked.

WPA can't really be "hacked". The best you can do is inject a handful of packets into the network (note that you never actually gain access to said network via this method) before the access point re-keys' all of the clients on the network. And for all of the work involved in getting those handful of packets into the network, you would have to go through the process all over again as soon as the clients are re-keyed (set the Group Key Update Interval, or Group Key Renewal value to 600 or less - where the value entered is equal to the number of seconds before a new group key is issued). Last I heard, the shortest time shown to complete this so-called hack was 11 minutes.

Shadow703793 said:
Currently, I don't recommend using anything less than WPA2 with AES and a good password and DO have MAC address restrictions.

If WPA2 and AES are used, MAC filtering isn't going to really help anything other than with easing a paranoid conscience. I do however agree that it should most DEFINITELY be used when a user has no choice but to encrypt a network with WEP (should they have a device that does not support stronger security).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 3:39:56 PM

Quote:
WPA can't really be "hacked". The best you can do is inject a handful of packets into the network (note that you never actually gain access to said network via this method) before the access point re-keys' all of the clients on the network. And for all of the work involved in getting those handful of packets into the network, you would have to go through the process all over again as soon as the clients are re-keyed (set the Group Key Update Interval, or Group Key Renewal value to 600 or less - where the value entered is equal to the number of seconds before a new group key is issued). Last I heard, the shortest time shown to complete this so-called hack was 11 minutes.

There are software that have GPU acceleration that can brute force WPA secured networks. Sure, it takes time, but most people have stupid passwords where a directory based attack will most likely work.

And yes, I do agree that MAC filtering with WPA2 + AES is being a bit paranoid but you can never be too secure. And yes, MAC filtering is a MUST on WEP.
m
l
a c 370 $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 6:50:24 PM

metalhed said:
Hello, I need to know how my computer has 2 IP addresses. I did not set this configuration and now I get kicked off the internet whenever the other address logs on. This feels like a major security issue. What should I do? Help!

Where are you seeing 2 IP addresses, and what do you mean then the other address logs on? You got some replies about security which will help you but I'm a bit confused as to what is actually happening with your system.
m
l
February 25, 2013 10:26:23 AM

metalhed said:

The IP address for your computer is related to how you connect to the internet (probably through an ISP) and if you have a static (never changes) or dynamic (can change) IP address.

Also, if you access the account from any other location, or from a phone or other mobile device it would show up as a different IP address.
m
l
!