My Final Thoughts On Doom 3

All,

Well it's taken me 2.5 months but I've finally finished my walkthrough of
Doom 3 - http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/index.html. The only
modification I'll be making from now on are errata updates and I expect
there to be quite a few of those.

Having written a walkthrough of this size it became clear to me just how
much work id put into the game. The sheer volume of material both written
and spoken is overwhelming.

I'm going to retire from walkthrough writing for a while. The Doom 3 one has
taken its toll. I must admit that there were times when I was just going
through the motions and not enjoying it as much as I should have - being a
hobby and all that.

What follows are some afterthoughts on the game for those interested. They
aren't the truth, just my subjective views. I welcome any reasoned
topics are a bit thin on the ground here lately.

Despite what some have said regarding the Doom 3 storyline being a "B Grade
Movie", I found the complete opposite. The story is actually one of the
highlights of the game for me. It is very well put together, carefully
revealed and unveiled to the player and extremely detailed. Id hired experts
for the story and it shows.

The other high spot for me was the audio, it really built the mood and
immersed me in the game experience. I was often afraid to open the next door
or move further into an area that I knew was trapped - I attribute a lot of
this to the sound effects added onto the excellent video.

I have to agree with many that the game has a closed in, dark, claustophobic
feel that eventually gets irritating and tedious. Doom 3 was designed this
way from inception, but I feel that in restrospect that it was overdone. I
hope the next Doom 3 game pack goes a long way to addressing these
limitations. Let's have some bright, open spaces to fight in please. Use the
video and audio to immerse us and bring on the enemy.

The missions and objective concept needs to be refined some. Missions kept
changing through the game without warning, old missions coming back again
later. Subtle name changes of the missions made it confusing and irksome -
is it the same mission or a new one? The objectives were handled well though
and had clear starts and finishes.

The Storage Locker concept was interesting but now it's been done and I hope
id don't pursue it too much further. Basically storage lockers are the
reward for reading your emails and audio logs. In some cases they are the
only way forward through coded doors. I would prefer that extra items are
the reward for finding cleverly hidden locations or by landing in a
difficult to reach area. There are some very good secrets in Doom 3 and I
think they should expand upon this idea rather than lots of storage lockers
that require gamers to write down 3 digit codes on scraps of paper.

The dreaded one way trip. I have always found these irritating in the
extreme. In many cases it is poor level design to refuse a player access
into previous played areas. The exceptions are when the level layout changes
as a result of game events. I say limit the one way trips to a bare minimum.

I think there is room for cooperative play if the levels are designed
properly. This was one of the enjoyable aspects of playing Doom/Doom2 for me
and I miss it in Doom 3.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Morrow wrote:
> All,
>
> Well it's taken me 2.5 months but I've finally finished my walkthrough of
> Doom 3 - http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/index.html. The only
> modification I'll be making from now on are errata updates and I expect
> there to be quite a few of those.

First of all: great stuff! Amazing, how much detail you did put into it!

One thing you might want to improve are the HTML-anchors you use in your
pages. The "#" character is used in an URI to separate the fragment
identifier (the anchor name) from the resource identifier - it's not
itself part of the name. I. e.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/doom3/items.html#Cyberdemon
refers to the anchor named "Cyberdemon" (not "#Cyberdemon" !) in the page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/doom3/items.html
Standards compliant browsers like Mozilla or Firefox won't jump to the
part of the page you are trying to refer to, because they don't find an
anchor named "Cyberdemon", just one named "#Cyberdemon" (which is
something different).

> Having written a walkthrough of this size it became clear to me just how
> much work id put into the game. The sheer volume of material both written
> and spoken is overwhelming.
>
> I'm going to retire from walkthrough writing for a while. The Doom 3 one has
> taken its toll. I must admit that there were times when I was just going
> through the motions and not enjoying it as much as I should have - being a
> hobby and all that.

Thanks for the great work you did!

[...]

> Cheers,
> Tim

Regards
mks

"Tim Morrow" <tmorrow@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> [...]
> the reward for finding cleverly hidden locations or by landing in a
> difficult to reach area. There are some very good secrets in Doom 3 and I
> think they should expand upon this idea rather than lots of storage
> lockers
> that require gamers to write down 3 digit codes on scraps of paper.
>
> The dreaded one way trip. I have always found these irritating in the
> extreme. In many cases it is poor level design to refuse a player access
> into previous played areas. The exceptions are when the level layout
> changes
> as a result of game events. I say limit the one way trips to a bare
> minimum.
>
> I think there is room for cooperative play if the levels are designed
> properly. This was one of the enjoyable aspects of playing Doom/Doom2 for

Outstanding site! That must have been a lot of work 8o

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 02:11:34 +1000, Tim Morrow wrote:

> Well it's taken me 2.5 months but I've finally finished my walkthrough of
> Doom 3 - http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/index.html. The only
> modification I'll be making from now on are errata updates and I expect
> there to be quite a few of those.

Wow, that's an amazing piece of work. I've bookmarked it for future
reference (for AFTER I complete the game). Very nice and complete! Thank
you for putting in that much effort to do something like this, Tim!

Linux Registered User #327951

"Markus Schönhaber" <newsreply@schoenhaber.de> wrote in message
> Tim Morrow wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Well it's taken me 2.5 months but I've finally finished my walkthrough
of
> > Doom 3 - http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/index.html. The only
> > modification I'll be making from now on are errata updates and I expect
> > there to be quite a few of those.
> >
> First of all: great stuff! Amazing, how much detail you did put into it!
>
> One thing you might want to improve are the HTML-anchors you use in your
> pages. The "#" character is used in an URI to separate the fragment
> identifier (the anchor name) from the resource identifier - it's not
> itself part of the name. I. e.
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/doom3/items.html#Cyberdemon
> refers to the anchor named "Cyberdemon" (not "#Cyberdemon" !) in the page
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/doom3/items.html
> Standards compliant browsers like Mozilla or Firefox won't jump to the
> part of the page you are trying to refer to, because they don't find an
> anchor named "Cyberdemon", just one named "#Cyberdemon" (which is
> something different).
>
> > Having written a walkthrough of this size it became clear to me just how
> > much work id put into the game. The sheer volume of material both
written
> > and spoken is overwhelming.
> >
> > I'm going to retire from walkthrough writing for a while. The Doom 3 one
has
> > taken its toll. I must admit that there were times when I was just going
> > through the motions and not enjoying it as much as I should have - being
> > hobby and all that.
> >
> Thanks for the great work you did!

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. As you quickly realised my HTML
is not the greatest! I had a hunch something was wrong with my anchors
because when I used to spider my site with Xenu it kept coming up with
errors. IE kept finding the pages though so I just ignored it. I will fix
this problem soon.

Cheers,
Tim

> [...]
> they are the only way forward through coded doors. I would prefer
> that extra items are the reward for finding cleverly hidden locations
> or by landing in a difficult to reach area. There are some very good
> secrets in Doom 3 and I think they should expand upon this idea
> rather than lots of storage lockers that require gamers to write down
> 3 digit codes on scraps of paper.
>
> The dreaded one way trip. I have always found these irritating in the
> extreme. In many cases it is poor level design to refuse a player
> access into previous played areas. The exceptions are when the level
> layout changes as a result of game events. I say limit the one way
> trips to a bare minimum.
>
> I think there is room for cooperative play if the levels are designed
> properly. This was one of the enjoyable aspects of playing Doom/Doom2

Thanks for sharing all that Tim. Myself, I'm still playing through the
game the first time :) I know, I'm Grandpa and old and slow :) I like
it like that. I'm sure iD gave thought to the all pervasive
claustrophobic feel. And the only outside in the sunshine time is
topped with need for air cylinders. I'm sure iD considered
alternatives, but they stuck to the most realistic Mars Base theme they
could. Kinda give ya a grounding for all the unrealistic stuff
happening all around. Like demons and monsters, the little things :)
Yet for all that, I'm still enjoying doom3.
McG.

Cy / Dan,

Thanks guys. I'm glad you got something out of the site. Enjoy your Doom3!
I'm trying out a couple of mod's over the next week or so and then I might
do a Veteran run through. I tried Nightmare and bit the dust early in Mars
City 2 - the Z-Sector Guards are too tough for me.

Cheers,
Tim

The levers of mind-change. "Tim Morrow" <tmorrow@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>Cy / Dan,
>
>Thanks guys. I'm glad you got something out of the site. Enjoy your Doom3!
>I'm trying out a couple of mod's over the next week or so and then I might
>do a Veteran run through. I tried Nightmare and bit the dust early in Mars
>City 2 - the Z-Sector Guards are too tough for me.

I think Z-Sec stands for Zombie Security. There's no Z Sector anywhere in
the game.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:03:26 -0400, Heck wrote:

> I think Z-Sec stands for Zombie Security. There's no Z Sector anywhere in
> the game.

Wrong, there's a Z-sector place somewhere (I've forgotten where).

nicolas patrois : pts noir asocial
--
SPROTCH !

P : Non, y a rien de plus immonde que de chier sur la moquette...
M : Pas d'accord... A pire... Chier sous la moquette...
H : ?!!

The levers of mind-change. nicolas
<nicolas.nospam.patrois@online.fr.invalid> wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:03:26 -0400, Heck wrote:
>
>> I think Z-Sec stands for Zombie Security. There's no Z Sector anywhere in
>> the game.
>
>Wrong, there's a Z-sector place somewhere (I've forgotten where).
Was there? I didn't see any such thing in Mars City, Mars City Underground
(where they first appear) or Mars City 2 and I finished those levels.
Well, if you remember, post it.

"Tim Morrow" <tmorrow@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>All,
>
>Well it's taken me 2.5 months but I've finally finished my walkthrough of
>Doom 3 - http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/index.html.

Perfect timing. I just finished playing Doom3 for the first time and
started playing it again with a walkthrough just to see if I missed
anything the first time around. I switched to your walkthrough at the
first Delta Labs level and finished with it.

All in all, you did an amazing job. I especially like the way you pointed
out little map layout details that I easily miss because I can get
disoriented in some of these maps (such as not realizing that I'm looking
from a balcony into a room I visited earlier).

I also like your commentaries on the surroundings ("Eek! What massacre
took place here?"). You pointed out details that the level designers put
in to help tell the "story" (yet not trying to be too insightful - one
must be careful not to over-interpret Doom). Your tongue-in-cheek prose
made me chuckle a few times. I'll also give you a nod for pointing out
the zombie that farts. Missed that one too the first time 'round.

My only complaint was its level of detail. Which leads to this...

>I'm going to retire from walkthrough writing for a while. The Doom 3 one has
>taken its toll.

Indeed. This raises the question of just how comprehensive a walkthrough
ought to be - especially if it's causing burn-out in the writer. For my
purposes, I don't need a complete list of items to be found in every
location. Most of the time, this would suffice:

Search the room for goodies, especially behind the crates.

Even then, that pretty much goes without saying. (Obviously, important
items and easy-to-miss placement should be specifically indicated. Your
walkthrough pointed out a couple of stashes that I missed the first time
around.)

Also, the transcripts of spoken parts seemed more trouble than they're
worth, as were the statistical summaries at the end of each level. No
doubt there is varying opinion on these matters, but I know that I skipped
over them and moved on to the next section.

But that's all academic at this point. You put in a lot of hard work and
Doom3 players will appreciate your efforts for years to come.

On a more practical matter, I did catch an error in "Caverns - Area 2"
"Room of the Stars". You say:

"On the left side of the room is the 3rd Power Generator.
Turning it on seems to do nothing."

Ah! Follow the cord. It turns on the health station lying on the floor
in the previous (Levitation) room.

sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
^ my email |

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:09:23 -0400, Heck wrote:

> Was there? I didn't see any such thing in Mars City, Mars City Underground
> (where they first appear) or Mars City 2 and I finished those levels.
> Well, if you remember, post it.

I'm in delta but I don't remember where... sorry.

nicolas patrois : pts noir asocial
--
SPROTCH !

P : Non, y a rien de plus immonde que de chier sur la moquette...
M : Pas d'accord... A pire... Chier sous la moquette...
H : ?!!

> Thanks for sharing all that Tim. Myself, I'm still playing through the
> game the first time :) I know, I'm Grandpa and old and slow :) I like
> it like that. I'm sure iD gave thought to the all pervasive
> claustrophobic feel. And the only outside in the sunshine time is
> topped with need for air cylinders. I'm sure iD considered
> alternatives, but they stuck to the most realistic Mars Base theme they
> could. Kinda give ya a grounding for all the unrealistic stuff
> happening all around. Like demons and monsters, the little things :)
> Yet for all that, I'm still enjoying doom3.
> McG.

Thanks McGrandpa,

Doom3 was very enjoyable for me too. I enjoyed the first couple of levels
quite a bit - a lot of detail went into those levels. Then the ending levels
were excellent too, Hell and the Caverns levels are among my favourite's, it
was great to get away from the metal corridor look, even for a short while
:)

I like to play at a nice slow pace to drink in as much as possible. I know
some people like to race through it and finish the game in a day or two. For
me it's more of a journey than a destination.

What level are you up to?

Cheers,
Tim

>> Thanks for sharing all that Tim. Myself, I'm still playing through
>> the game the first time :) I know, I'm Grandpa and old and slow :)
>> I like it like that. I'm sure iD gave thought to the all pervasive
>> claustrophobic feel. And the only outside in the sunshine time is
>> topped with need for air cylinders. I'm sure iD considered
>> alternatives, but they stuck to the most realistic Mars Base theme
>> they could. Kinda give ya a grounding for all the unrealistic stuff
>> happening all around. Like demons and monsters, the little things :)
>> Yet for all that, I'm still enjoying doom3.
>> McG.
>
> Thanks McGrandpa,
>
> Doom3 was very enjoyable for me too. I enjoyed the first couple of
> levels quite a bit - a lot of detail went into those levels. Then the
> ending levels were excellent too, Hell and the Caverns levels are
> among my favourite's, it was great to get away from the metal
> corridor look, even for a short while :)
>
> I like to play at a nice slow pace to drink in as much as possible. I
> know some people like to race through it and finish the game in a day
> or two. For me it's more of a journey than a destination.
>
> What level are you up to?
>
> Cheers,
> Tim

I am about to ride the monorail :) On the way to Delta Labs! Well, the
change of scenery should certainly be refreshing :)
McG.

"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Tim Morrow" <tmorrow@iinet.net.au> wrote:

Scott,

Thanks for the critique. My responses among your's below

> Perfect timing. I just finished playing Doom3 for the first time and
> started playing it again with a walkthrough just to see if I missed
> anything the first time around. I switched to your walkthrough at the
> first Delta Labs level and finished with it.
>
> All in all, you did an amazing job. I especially like the way you pointed
> out little map layout details that I easily miss because I can get
> disoriented in some of these maps (such as not realizing that I'm looking
> from a balcony into a room I visited earlier).
>
> I also like your commentaries on the surroundings ("Eek! What massacre
> took place here?"). You pointed out details that the level designers put
> in to help tell the "story" (yet not trying to be too insightful - one
> must be careful not to over-interpret Doom). Your tongue-in-cheek prose
> made me chuckle a few times. I'll also give you a nod for pointing out
> the zombie that farts. Missed that one too the first time 'round.

I did take some pains to get the overall perspective of the level,
especially doors that may or may not wrap back around to where you were
earlier in the level. I'm glad you liked it.

> My only complaint was its level of detail. Which leads to this...
>
> >I'm going to retire from walkthrough writing for a while. The Doom 3 one
has
> >taken its toll.
>
> Indeed. This raises the question of just how comprehensive a walkthrough
> ought to be - especially if it's causing burn-out in the writer. For my
> purposes, I don't need a complete list of items to be found in every
> location. Most of the time, this would suffice:
>
> Search the room for goodies, especially behind the crates.
>
> Even then, that pretty much goes without saying. (Obviously, important
> items and easy-to-miss placement should be specifically indicated. Your
> walkthrough pointed out a couple of stashes that I missed the first time
> around.)

> Also, the transcripts of spoken parts seemed more trouble than they're
> worth, as were the statistical summaries at the end of each level. No
> doubt there is varying opinion on these matters, but I know that I skipped
> over them and moved on to the next section.
>
> But that's all academic at this point. You put in a lot of hard work and
> Doom3 players will appreciate your efforts for years to come.

A fair point and one that has come back to me several times. The first
walkthrough I wrote was for Tomb Raider 3. The lists of item pickups was
more modest, but more relevant to the game. In that game stashes were often
hidden pretty well. In that game you had to be more careful with the use of
more powerful weapons and how much damage you could accept before reloading.
Also the item totals could be used to tally up how thorough the walkthrough
was against other sites - it was a quick and dirty checksum.

With doom3 if you fail to collect a few shells or clips or health it really
doesn't make much difference.because there is so much available. The need
for accurate item count is not so important. Also except for a few places,
the items were in fairly visible locations that most people would see
without looking too far. I started tracking item counts in Mars City 2 where
there were several cleverly concealed items. I found that this level was the
exception rather than the rule.

You are right about the transcripts as well. At one point I thought they
might be highly relevant to the game. It's another case of "it seemed like a
good idea at the time".

If/when I write another walkthrough, it will definitely be less detailed.

> On a more practical matter, I did catch an error in "Caverns - Area 2"
> "Room of the Stars". You say:
>
> "On the left side of the room is the 3rd Power Generator.
> Turning it on seems to do nothing."
>
> Ah! Follow the cord. It turns on the health station lying on the floor
> in the previous (Levitation) room.

Outstanding find! I saw that overturned health station in the previous room
and forgot all about it. I'll update the walkthrough.

Cheers
Tim

"Tim Morrow" <tmorrow@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>I did take some pains to get the overall perspective of the level,
>especially doors that may or may not wrap back around to where you were
>earlier in the level. I'm glad you liked it.

It was something I noticed because of the other walkthrough I was using
early in the game. The other walkthrough was a decent job, but it
"directed" the player through each map in a straightforward way whereas
you provided additional context of where the player was with respect to
the overall map.

I'm about to start my third time through. No doubt I'll know every nook
and cranny before I tire of playing (as I had with the original Doom and
Halflife franchises). However, the Doom3 maps are the most disorienting
I've encountered in the genre (let's leave Descent out of this for the
time being). Your walkthrough benefits a great deal from the wider
perspective. Even throw-away comments such as "this is the other side of
the door you couldn't get through earlier" helps keep the player's compass
in order.

>>[no need to list every item]
>A fair point and one that has come back to me several times. The first
>walkthrough I wrote was for Tomb Raider 3. The lists of item pickups was
>more modest, but more relevant to the game. In that game stashes were often
>hidden pretty well. In that game you had to be more careful with the use of
>more powerful weapons and how much damage you could accept before reloading.
>Also the item totals could be used to tally up how thorough the walkthrough
>was against other sites - it was a quick and dirty checksum.

Not only that, I just remembered that the original Doom gave you a
percentage tally of items/secrets at the end of each level. (There was
always that one annoying level where you couldn't get 100% of something.)
For that, I can see itemizing everything in the walkthrough.

sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
^ my email |

TRENDING THREADS