USR54116 problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 22, 2004 11:43:30 AM

Hi, I am trying to set up a network using a USR 8054 Router and a USR 5416
wireless NIC, Every thing went well the my wireless NIC stopped (went Red) I
get an error message saying "wireless network connection 2 wireless
connection unavailable"

My system is a PIII 1GHZ
WinXP sp1
386 MB memory

I have tried reinstalling the NIC using the lastest version of the installer
(1c-5.0j)
I have used ip config to release and renew ( get the same error message)

I have verified the TCP/IP settings

Any Help would be appreciated

More about : usr54116 problems

October 23, 2004 3:00:02 PM

Hi, problem Solved. My Router had to be reset, the USR proceedure DOES
NOT WORK searching the web produced the following:

Many thanks to PETER

Date: 31 Oct 2003 09:04:15
From: Pete
Subject: USR8054 working

I have noted that a few people have asked about getting this wireless
AP & router working. I have managed to archive this. And their were
two
problems I found.

1. The setup wizard
2. How to reset the router to factory defaults.

First I should explain that I spent a whole week trying to get one to
work and it kept locking up on the wireless front. After a few calls
USR it was decided that the unit needed replacing. One thing they were
keen on checking was that the PSU was putting out the required 5v, so
presume they have had some problems with PSUs.

So I got the new 8054 and after configuring it, it had the same
problem!

A few hours of fiddling and trying to get it to reset and I managed to
get it working and it has been doing so for three days solid without a
reset.

The secret I discovered (and I have not messed with it to check) is to
ignore the setup wizard, don't even select the option for it not to
appear again.

So now for resetting the router. The description given does not always
work and it usually takes me several attempts.

1. Using a paperclip (or similar) press the reset button in and hold
in
for over 5 seconds.
2. Pull out the power cable while still holding the reset button in.

(USR say keep the button pressed but I find that this does not work
and
puts the router into a mode to accept a firmware upgrade - seen by the
status lights being seen and flashing)

3. Release the reset button.
4. Plug the power back in.
5. Almost straight away (maybe 1 second delay) press the reset button
and hold it for over 5 seconds.
6. Release the button and the router may be reset.

My USR8054 is now working as follows..
-Address caged to match my home network
-Router functions disabled as I already have a Linksys cable-router
-DCHP function disabled due to Linksys doing the DCHP
-Wireless set to AP only
-WEP enabled

The throughput (according to PC card s/w) is showing over 20Mbps for
file transfers (like up to 25Mbps).

Peter

!