Best Mobo for my Pentium ???

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
I am planning to buy a Pentium 4 3.0 gigs (max. for my budget) and need to know which mobo is the best match for it.
Thanks

RichPLS

Champion
I chose GigaByte 8KNXP Ultra-64 for my Prescott 3200. Solid and stable.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope... I'd stay with a Socket 478 for now and an 865 chipset.

The Abit IS7 is a good choice at a good price.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Simpleton

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
Thanks for your postings guys but somebody sugested me a totally diff. idea that throws a curve to this posting.

Sugestion is to buy the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ which is cheaper and better.
For that I found an ASUS motherboard that has an AGP slot
instead of PCI and I think will accept regular memory chips as long as they are DDR400 Pc 3200...and this is the mobo..please tell me if they are compatible:

ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL

Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 754 for AMD Athlon 64 Processors
Chipset: VIA K8T800 + VT8237
FSB: Hyper Transport
RAM: 3x DIMM for DDR400/333/266 Max 3GB
IDE: 3x ATA 133(1 from Promise 20378) up to 6 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI, 1x Wi-Fi
Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,8xUSB2.0(rear 4),1xLAN,2x1394(rear 1),SPDIF Out,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: AD1980 6-Channel audio CODEC
Onboard LAN: Marvell GbE
Onboard SATA/RAID: VT8237, 2xSATA, RAID 0/1; Promise R20378, 2x SATA, RAID 0/1/0+1
Onboard 1394: VIA VT6307, 2 Ports
Form Factor: ATX

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
As far as I am concerned...I decided to buy the Pentium 4 3000 because in TH reviews it beats in all benchies the Athlon

My problem is which is best mobo for it?

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Well, this is a risky subject...

Look at the mother of all CPU's part 2 (http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/index.html) and you will see that the Athlon 64 3000 easily outperforms any 3 GHz P4 in most benchmarks except for video/audio compression.. It'll probably be cheaper, the mainboard and memory might be cheaper.
If you want an advice which motherboard to use with your processor: What do you want to use your PC for? Do you intend to overclock? Are there any special features you need? Do you have anything in mind, how much money are you going to spend.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Abit IS7 is a great board, near the top for everything, great features, excellent price. And Abit is a solid company when it comes to RMA support.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
FOR CRASHMAN:

Thanks for your help Crashman. I noticed you help everybody here...very nice and generous from you.

I have a question about the ABIT you mentioned...It will probably be my choice ever since TH reviews are in tune with your sugestion...but...I noticed the mobo in question
was made over a year ago and I wonder if they have a new model that replaces that one. Thanks.

pat

Expert
I'll show you another benchmark

p4 3.0e at newegg 188$
amd64 754 3000+ 149$
" 939 3000+ 175$

Those are the number that I like...

The p4 cost 126% more than the 754 3000+ but will perform about the same or 5-10% better or lesser, depending of the apps. hummm. that 40 buck I could spend on a more powerful video card, which will really matter...Or a faster HDD...or a bigger one too, or more RAM, or faster RAM, or ... See, you can have the number telling you what you want...

Computers in the 3000 area are not the top of the line anymore, but rather the lower middle end. Which mean that you are on some budget. Then in this case, spend wisely. And remember that the fastest CPU doesnt mean the fastest computer at the end.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's funny: The newer boards aren't better, just cheaper to produce. And they cost more, because they're newer.

The 865/875 chipset series was released over 1.5 years ago. There's no room for improvement: there haven't been any technological breakthroughs since. The 915/925 chipsets were released since, supporting PCI-Express, but still no improvements. The old ICH5R southbridge was replaced with the ICH6R, but the only thing of note there is that they went from 4 PATA/2 SATA drives to 2 PATA/4 SATA drives.

Some boards have been updated to Firewire 800 from Firewire 400, but Firewire 800 isn't even new, and it's not properly supported by Windows XP (defaulting to lower speeds). So Firewire 400 is fine.

The IS7 has 5 analog audio ports, rather than 3, so you can have 5.1 sound off the analog ports while keeping your Microphone and Input connectors usable. Most other boards give you 3 analog ports, forcing you to electronically switch your microphone and input ports to output ports if you want 5.1 analog sound. The IS7 also has digital coaxial sound input and output, rather than just output as most other boards. The IS7 is also laid out with the AGP slot in the top position with the 5 PCI slots in the lower positions, leaving an empty space between AGP and PCI-1 for additional cooling or double-width card coolers without sacrificing a PCI slot as you'd have to with most other boards.

The IS7 is the cheapest high end board to offer ICH5R RAID and Firewire.

Abit is pushing the newer AI7 as a replacement for the IS7, but it doesn't have all the features of the IS7, it would appear to be cheaper to produce, and it cost more because it's newer. The IS7 is the better board in many respects. It won one of Anandtech's "Best Board" awards a year and a half ago.

Many of my associates use the IS7. Unfortunately, I bought the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe because it was recommended by a certain RAM company, and I was doing a RAM review. After a month the CPU voltage fluctuations were so great I gave up using the board (I could no longer overclock with it). I looked up much user info on the P4C800-E, and found the entire line of similar boards (P4P800/P4C800, all versions) were comming up with the same problem. I reported that in a board review at Sysopt.

Having found the P4C800-E Deluxe to have a defect (Even Tom's had to fix their board, but they kept it on the down-low), I'd also received a Soyo P4I875P Dragon 2 Version 1.0 Black label, free for review. Since it was free and didn't have the problems of the P4C800-E, it's the board I'm using now. However, if I had to buy another board, I'd go with the IS7.

I've put somewhere between 50 and 100 users on the IS7, and I've heard very few complaints, and those complaints were centered around interference issues with the onboard audio. Most were resolved.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, you're off: The 3.0E is a crappy processor. He'd want the 3.0C. But that helps YOU because it cost more:

P4 3.0C OEM $198
A64 3000+ S939 OEM $152

OK, now the P4 doesn't cost 130% more, it cost 30% more. That is, the A64 cost 100% of $152, the P4 cost 130% of $152, and 130-100=30. 30% more.

Now, if you look at SIMILARLY PRICED processors, you see the 3.0C for $198 and the A64 3200+ S939 for $205. A $7 difference gets him the NEXT MODEL UP from AMD.

Obviously if the guy were considering processors of similar price, rather than similar model number, he'd find he gets better performance for his $200 with AMD.

Oh, and the S754 CPU's are cheaper still. Considering he's looking at a dead end platform with the P4, the dead-end AMD S754 platform might be choosen, giving even more advantage to AMD: The S754 A64 3200+ comes retail boxed with a 3-year factory warranty and cooler for $193.

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Crashman...I have a brand new case (Chenbro Spider) which is a
Pentium 4 and AMD Athlon XP ready case and I also have a power supply FSP Fortrom 350 Watts ATX PS2 ready...will they be compatible with a mobo for the A64 ?

RichPLS

Champion
YES

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

pat

Expert
"OK, now the P4 doesn't cost 130% more, it cost 30% more. That is, the A64 cost 100% of $152, the P4 cost 130% of $152, and 130-100=30. 30% more."

yeah..I just took the number from my calculator without too much thinking ...forgot the substraction... my mistake!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A model number "FSP350-(whatever)" should be good enough, yes. But if you're using a super power hungry video card like the 6800GT, you might want more.