badwolf1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004
I hope someone could answer a ??? for me...what are "HYPER-TRANSPORT" and "HYPER-THREADING"?, AND WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?.I know hyperthreading is great for multi-tasking, but what is the best difference\ trait of the S939 AMD'S??? I have always favored AMD stuff, and thanks to CRASHMAN, I am staying aboard their ship...

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Hypertransport is AMD's name for the connection between the CPU and the Nordbridge (chipset)-> CPU->rest of the system.

Hypertreading is Intels way to make one CPU look like two.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, like tweebel said, HyperTransport is nothing more or less than a fancy name for the front side bus AMD uses. Intel has their Quad Data Rate bus (800m transfers per second based on 200m clock cycles per second), AMD has HyperTransport rates of 4x and 5x the clock rate (800 and 1000). But AMD's bus is full-duplex, I don't think Intel's is.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Argh! You name is really similar to someone else on this forum.

You'll know who I mean...In time.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
That would be the first time, using this nick for a very long time now, haven't noticed anyone else using it or anything similar.

TRENDING THREADS