SMS, EMS vs. POP3 & IMAP phone clients

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 19, 2004 3:04:33 PM

I got a free Nokia 3589i phone when we switched to Verizon. I do a
fair amount of field work and don't always pack my laptop. My employer
also uses Verizon. It's a small business and I'm the token technical
guy, so I'd like to use exploit the technology as much as possible.

1. According to literature, the 3589i is EMS-capable, but VZW seems to
support only SMS. At least, I can only send an SMS text message via
vtext.com. Am I missing something? It would be handy to send and
receive longer messages.

2. What is your practical experience with mail and messaging clients
like Soda Pop Mail? I realize that I can't do anything with file
attachments, but what kind of additional capability is possible? Is an
email client simply eye-candy, or can it add something useful to a
business?

Thanks for all info and opinions.

Cheers!
Dave
--
Spam = Theft
Any Questions?

August 19, 2004 7:00:45 PM

Dave wrote:
> 2. What is your practical experience with mail and messaging clients
> like Soda Pop Mail? I realize that I can't do anything with file
> attachments, but what kind of additional capability is possible? Is an
> email client simply eye-candy, or can it add something useful to a
> business?

I detest all those GIN type programs. The latency is especially bad.
You also use air time, and it can take quite a while to figure out that
you have nothing to attend to (which is the normal case).

In my experience it is better to run your own mail filters etc that
then summarise important information and send it to your phone as sms
messages. You can give people priority keywords, switch the alerts
off when on holiday (or send them to someone else), send them to
multiple people, spread long ones across multiple messages etc.

Roger
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 3:23:22 AM

In article <9ikfv1-23b.ln1@home.rogerbinns.com>, rogerb@rogerbinns.com
says...
> Dave wrote:
> > 2. What is your practical experience with mail and messaging clients
> > like Soda Pop Mail? I realize that I can't do anything with file
> > attachments, but what kind of additional capability is possible? Is an
> > email client simply eye-candy, or can it add something useful to a
> > business?
>
> I detest all those GIN type programs. The latency is especially bad.
> You also use air time, and it can take quite a while to figure out that
> you have nothing to attend to (which is the normal case).
>
> In my experience it is better to run your own mail filters etc that
> then summarise important information and send it to your phone as sms
> messages. You can give people priority keywords, switch the alerts
> off when on holiday (or send them to someone else), send them to
> multiple people, spread long ones across multiple messages etc.
>
> Roger

Roger,

What program or service are you using to do the filtering, spanning of
long emails etc.?

Thanks.
--

Drum-
Anonymous

Drumstick wrote:
> What program or service are you using to do the filtering, spanning of
> long emails etc.?

I run my own mail server for my domain on a Linux box so the short answer
is "whatever I want". Personally I use qmail as the mta and maildrop
as the mail delivery agent. A more common configuration is postfix and
procmail. And since I am a programmer I make code do whatever I want.
Most of my scripts are in Python.

Roger
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 3:22:47 PM

In article <0efgv1-e9p.ln1@home.rogerbinns.com>, rogerb@rogerbinns.com
says...
> Drumstick wrote:
> > What program or service are you using to do the filtering, spanning of
> > long emails etc.?
>
> I run my own mail server for my domain on a Linux box so the short answer
> is "whatever I want". Personally I use qmail as the mta and maildrop
> as the mail delivery agent. A more common configuration is postfix and
> procmail. And since I am a programmer I make code do whatever I want.
> Most of my scripts are in Python.
>
> Roger

Understood.
Thanks.