Questions about repeating neighbor's wireless network in m..

My neighbor has a cable modem, Linksys router, and Linksys WAP11 AP.
With his permission, I can access his network with my PCs. However,
the signal strength is rather low. I have a Linksys WAP11 and a
D-Link DWL-900AP+ that I would like to use to repeat his signal. I
was thinking that I could put my WAP11 into client mode and hook up a
directional antenna pointed at his house. I could wire my WAP11
client to my DWL-900AP+ set to AP mode on a different channel. Then
my PCs would connect to my network instead of his. I would like my
PCs to be able to access the internet through my AP, my client, his
AP, his router, and his cable modem.

First, is all this possible?

Second, should I set my WAP11 and 900AP to a hard-coded IP address or
have them get their IP address automatically? I'm guessing that if I
do have to hard-code the addresses, they have to be on my nieghbor's
subnet.

Third, the 900AP had a DHPC server. Should I turn that on? Or should
my PCs use my neighbor's DHCP server?

Thanks for any help.
John
1 answer Last reply
More about questions repeating neighbor wireless network

    Yeah it SHOULD work, do a search on google to see if anyone has done
    anything similiar. From my experience with a bit of tweaking a wireless
    network card can be made to bridge a wireless + wired network under Windows
    XP. That's sought of the setup you'll be having, except mine was more
    complicated because mine was a layer 3 bridge. Using your WAP11 as a bridge
    should work in the same way as I had mine, except yours will be using an
    access point which bridges layer 2. If all goes well your computers will be
    able to directly access your neighbours internet using any computer on
    either network.

    It shouldn't really matter if you use automatic or static ip's. I prefer to
    make everything static myself.

    Memphis

    "John Sevinsky" <jsevinsk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My neighbor has a cable modem, Linksys router, and Linksys WAP11 AP.
    > With his permission, I can access his network with my PCs. However,
    > the signal strength is rather low. I have a Linksys WAP11 and a
    > D-Link DWL-900AP+ that I would like to use to repeat his signal. I
    > was thinking that I could put my WAP11 into client mode and hook up a
    > directional antenna pointed at his house. I could wire my WAP11
    > client to my DWL-900AP+ set to AP mode on a different channel. Then
    > my PCs would connect to my network instead of his. I would like my
    > PCs to be able to access the internet through my AP, my client, his
    > AP, his router, and his cable modem.
    >
    > First, is all this possible?
    >
    > Second, should I set my WAP11 and 900AP to a hard-coded IP address or
    > have them get their IP address automatically? I'm guessing that if I
    > do have to hard-code the addresses, they have to be on my nieghbor's
    > subnet.
    >
    > Third, the 900AP had a DHPC server. Should I turn that on? Or should
    > my PCs use my neighbor's DHCP server?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > John

Wireless Network Linksys Wireless Networking