Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Questions about repeating neighbor's wireless network in m..

Tags:
  • Wireless Network
  • Linksys
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:22:13 PM

My neighbor has a cable modem, Linksys router, and Linksys WAP11 AP.
With his permission, I can access his network with my PCs. However,
the signal strength is rather low. I have a Linksys WAP11 and a
D-Link DWL-900AP+ that I would like to use to repeat his signal. I
was thinking that I could put my WAP11 into client mode and hook up a
directional antenna pointed at his house. I could wire my WAP11
client to my DWL-900AP+ set to AP mode on a different channel. Then
my PCs would connect to my network instead of his. I would like my
PCs to be able to access the internet through my AP, my client, his
AP, his router, and his cable modem.

First, is all this possible?

Second, should I set my WAP11 and 900AP to a hard-coded IP address or
have them get their IP address automatically? I'm guessing that if I
do have to hard-code the addresses, they have to be on my nieghbor's
subnet.

Third, the 900AP had a DHPC server. Should I turn that on? Or should
my PCs use my neighbor's DHCP server?

Thanks for any help.
John

More about : questions repeating neighbor wireless network

October 24, 2004 2:47:59 AM

Yeah it SHOULD work, do a search on google to see if anyone has done
anything similiar. From my experience with a bit of tweaking a wireless
network card can be made to bridge a wireless + wired network under Windows
XP. That's sought of the setup you'll be having, except mine was more
complicated because mine was a layer 3 bridge. Using your WAP11 as a bridge
should work in the same way as I had mine, except yours will be using an
access point which bridges layer 2. If all goes well your computers will be
able to directly access your neighbours internet using any computer on
either network.

It shouldn't really matter if you use automatic or static ip's. I prefer to
make everything static myself.

Memphis