Help! problem with Half-Life 2

Heynow76

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I recently built a brand new computer and I've been having continual issues with A LOT of my games... especially Half-life 2. I was able to load up the game to the main menu the first time no-prob. Then I set all the setting to their highest in the game and I put the resolution on 1920x1080. everything seemed fine until I pressed "OK" to get out of the options. The game just froze and the sounds looped so Task Manager closed it. Now everytime I try to load up the game it gets passed the valve guy but as soon as it gets to the blurry screen it just freezes and goes to a black screen with looping sounds, and task manager says not responding. Plz help me! I just wanna play Half-Life again :(

Computer Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Antec 1200 Case
BFG 1000W PSU
Asus M4A79XTD EVO AM3 Mobo
1TB WD Caviar Black Hard Drive
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU w/ Thermaltake SpinQ heatsink
Crossfire 2 x XFX ATI HD5770 GPU's
8GB G. Skill RipJaw DDR3 1600mhz

fisch

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
You set the graphics to something your computer has a problem with. Right click on the game in steam and add to startup properties -windowed. Or just google how to start it windowed from a shortcut if you don't use steam. Pretty much the same thing you just write -windowed on the execute line of the shortcut. I bet you it will start this time, if that doesn't work there are also startup options to change the resolution that may get you to main screen where you can back down your video settings. You meet the requirements easily with that build obviously, it is just some incompatibility. Update those video drivers!