newbie question re printer

mark

I have 3 pcs that share net access - 2 wirelessly. In order for them all to
share the printer that is connected to the main pc, what other equipment do
i need?

Is it just a wireless print server or do I need other bits?

Cheers

my wired desktop/server runs all the time and has an old fashion printer
hooked up to its printer port - everything here is networked with file and
print sharing . Wifi the laptop I just simply added a new printer to its
printer folder
LPT1: \\DESKSERV\HP710C
and it asked for the CD. Simple enough.

of course if you dont want to leave a computer running full time you'd want
a print server, either ethernet or wifi to fit

"mark" <mdavies7@plus.com> wrote in message
> I have 3 pcs that share net access - 2 wirelessly. In order for them all
> share the printer that is connected to the main pc, what other equipment
do
> i need?
>
> Is it just a wireless print server or do I need other bits?
>
> Cheers

"mark" <mdavies7@plus.com> wrote in message
> I have 3 pcs that share net access - 2 wirelessly. In order for them all
> share the printer that is connected to the main pc, what other equipment
do
> i need?
>
> Is it just a wireless print server or do I need other bits?
>
> Cheers

Make sure you have the printer drivers installed on the two wireless PC's
before you add the network printer (one that's connected to hardwired PC) to
each of the wireless PC's.

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:19:32 -0400, in alt.internet.wireless , "Bob
Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote:

>"mark" <mdavies7@plus.com> wrote in message
>> I have 3 pcs that share net access - 2 wirelessly. In order for them all to
>> share the printer that is connected to the main pc, what other equipment do
>> i need?
>>
>> Is it just a wireless print server or do I need other bits?
>>
>Make sure you have the printer drivers installed on the two wireless PC's
>before you add the network printer (one that's connected to hardwired PC) to
>each of the wireless PC's.

Also make sure your printer supports printing via a printserver. This is
NOT a given. Its likely that plain-vanilla parallel-port printers will be
fine. Most all-in-one printers don't eg the Kyocera X5150 series. Some USB
ones don't, especially the ones that have fancy management utilities that
reside on the PC to monitor ink levels and so forth.

I warn you it will be pretty tricky to find out which ones work.
F'rinstance there's no mention on the web (or wasn't when I bought it) that
the above Kyocera was incompatible with printservers. Gah.

--
Mark McIntyre

TRENDING THREADS