Motherboard stand-offs

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
I am about to assemble my new system and I have a nagging question. I bought an ASUS K8N-E Mobo and it says that it should be fastened to the stand-offs by all 9 holes. Herein lies the problem. I looked at the mobo and indeed there are 9 holes to fasten it to the chassis but the case I bought only has 6 stand-offs attached to it. I'm not even certain that all 6 of those even line up with the mobo.

Here is my question. What is the best way to add more stand-offs to the chassis? Do new holes have to be drilled and then do they need to be threaded with a tap set?

There's going to be a fair amount of weight on this mobo so i don't want there to be an inordinate amount of flexing or vibration going on. Is it customary to follow the mobo manufacturer's guidelines when attaching it? (I assume so)

Ok so that was more than 1 question. LOL If anyone can answer these it would be awesome! ;)

AMD 64 3700+,ASUS K8N-E Deluxe-250gb,1.5 gb PC3200,Gigabyte GeForce 6800gt 256mb,Audigy 2 ZS , 2-36.7gb 10,000 rpm Raptors/Raid 0, Thermaltake butterfly 480 watt PSU , + asst. other amenities.....
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lazerous on 01/05/05 11:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Standard cases have removable standoffs, threaded holes for standoffs, and a bag of hardware that includes extra standoffs. You don't have to drill holes to mount standoffs, the holes are supposed to already be there.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
Yup that's what i thought to but this case doesn't have the hole in all the right places. It has 5 standoffs on there now and an additional 4 holes but nowhere near where they need to be. Will using only the 5 exsisting stand-offs be unstable?

AMD 64 3700+,ASUS K8N-E Deluxe-250gb,1.5 gb PC3200,Gigabyte GeForce 6800gt 256mb,Audigy 2 ZS , 2-36.7gb 10,000 rpm Raptors/Raid 0, Thermaltake butterfly 480 watt PSU , + asst. other amenities.....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I doubt it would be unstable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Some cases use a clip-on style of standoff, as well as the screw-in type. See if there are any of them in the parts bag, that came with the case. Some times you just have to use a plastic standoff spacer. Old boards used to use only 1 or 2 screw-in standoffs, then a few slide=in plastic standoffs. I have mounted boards with as few as 4 stand-offs, but dont recommend it. What kind of case is it?

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get some of the plastic pin-style stand-off supports. Pop them in the extra holes and they will support your motherboard when you push cables, cards and memory into it. If you don't have enough support you can damage some boards by flexing them too much. Those 9 stand-off holes are there for a reason.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
The case is a Silverstone Temjin, model #TJ04.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/tw/products-tj04.htm

The Mobo is an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe. I am putting some hefty weight to this sucka in that there is a Zalman CNPS7700-cu going on the CPU.(918g) After looking further I did find 2 of the clip style standoffs you mentioned endyen. I also looked closer at the case and there is wierd shaped cutouts that i assume these clips go into. They only sent two of those though and I will need to find 2 more just like it now to complete the whole 9 holes. If i can't find any at our local puter parts store i guess i can call Silverstone and ask them to send me a few more. < Taiwan :( >

Thank you all for your input. greatly appreciated. ;)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lazerous on 01/06/05 11:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
Problem solved. I went into a local Computer parts retailer the other day called Micro Center.

<A HREF="http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html" target="_new">http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html</A>

They had the same case I have in stock except the silver version. I asked the manager very politely if i could purchase the small hardware bag from the disply model and he handed it to me and told to just take it. The bag was very small and I could have easily just palmed it but I couldn't do that. I guess it pays to be honest hu? rofl.....

Anyways I got the extra custom stand-offs I need now and they are set. :)

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>