New system - looking for experts opinion

Maskius

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Hello all

First, a big thanks to the people who make up this superb forum - I have learned tons reading here the last few days.

I have tried to gather enough knowledge to put together a much needed new system for myself, would be nice if it could run some of the heavier new games without choking, so thats its purpose. Priorities are Stable - Fast - Quiet. In that order.

Ok, all the components are choosen from the experience of THG posters, reviews and so forth - I really just want to make sure I havent misunderstood anything or are making some mistake - so if you knowledgeable guys could point out whether this would work or perhaps point out some better ideas, it would really be appreciated.

Case: Antec P160 ATX Miditower
Case Fan: Antec-INC Antec-INC 120mm (case only comes w. 1 fan, has room for 2)
PSU: Antec-INC NeoPower 480 Watt P4 ATX Powersupply
MB: Asus nForce4 A8N-SLI/DELUXE
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm
CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU (if it will fit?)
RAM: Corsair TWINX1023200XL (2x512 CAS 2-2-2-5)
HD: 2 x WD Caviar 160GB sata150 7200 Rpm (for striping)
Graphics: Asus 6600GT PCIe/128mb
Floppy: Alps 1.44MB Floppy drev
CD/DVD: Plextor 16X DVD / 48X Cdrom IDE
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 / Bulk
Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard / Black / PS2

Good rig? Could do better? Bad?

All advice very welcome as this will most likely be my thing for the next few years due to cashflow (or lack thereoff *grin*).

Thanks all

Regards
Maskius

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
I like it. Is the case fancy enough for you considering this is a gaming machine. Don't you want it to be a bit flashy or is the wife going to get on your case?

Just wondering why you want two 160MB HDD's.. Sure it's going to be faster in SATA RAID but do you need the space and that speed? I would think you'd better off with a bigger graphics card?

The loving are the daring!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I take it that you're going to get the twin 6600GT's later and just start with one now. Probably what I would do too.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't buy anything Antec simply because Antec doesn't make anything, they just rebadge other peoples stuff and charge you for the privalege.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Maskius

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Flinx: You got it right. Wife would get on my case (literally - and that means one flat case...)

Seriously though, I just wanted a case that was easy to work with, good airflow and quiet - I read some reviews and this Antec scored pretty good - other suggestions very welcome (the Lian-Li is abit pricey though).

The sata raid is something I have been wanted to mess with for awhile and I do like the speed increase as I need this for work as well and that means big files (graphics).

Cybercraig: Aye, the 2. 6600 could come later when needed (and hopefully cheaper also).

Crash: Regarding Antec - I really dont know them, but I have limited choices for cases, namely Antec, Aopen, Chieftec, Codegen, Compucase, NorthQ, Q-tec, Raidmax and Thermaltake - and PSU choices are Antec, Q-Tec, Zalman (400w).

These other brands better?

And thanks guys for taking the time to comment here.

Regards
Mask

TRENDING THREADS