Adding PCI-Express to an AGP Motherboard

pnemonic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Hello, thank you in advance for your replies,

What can I do to make compatible my AGP MotherBoard ASUS P4P800-SE (865 chipset) with PCI-Express? Is it possible?

Thank you, very much!

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
...but that's unpossible[/Ralph's voice (from the Simpsons}]

Yeah, there's not a way to do that.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The bad news is, you can't. The good news is, there are Socket 478 boards using the 915 chipset to support your current RAM and CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The best news is, there is no point going to PCI-exp at this point. You could buy a new mobo and video card that would give a lot worse graphics than just spending the same monet on a very good agp graphics card.

pat

Expert
I hope you didnt buy your mobo expecting it to be "future proof"? to run PCIe, you'll need a new mobo. But for now, that doesnt worth it. I'd stick with your current board for a while and let the PCIe technology become more current. People buy PCIe now to have their system future proof, but as I learned over the time, first generation are not always that future proof, as new feature and performance will be tweaked in the next generation of board.

I wait for better improvement in performance and better available hardware before making the switch

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!