A good system for video editing

schafer1986

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I want to build a nice system for editing video, home movies, birthday parties, ballet recitals, Lord of the Rings epics etc...Is there something out there I should be looking for as far as mobo, memory, speed, etc and software wise?
Thanks
Guy

Living on the Rock!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Build a good system, all modern systems have the power for that type of usage. I'd suggest a good TV card with hardware MPEG compression like the Hauppauge WinPVR 250, as for the rest of the system, read some reviews!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
Get RAID0, lots of storage place and at least 1 gigs of RAM.

How much are you ready to spend?

I would go AMD 64 for CPU and nforce3 with RAID for mobo. You can built something cheaper than Intel for about the same performance and that will give youmore money left for what matther most, HDD and memory.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
One thing I forgot to mention: Video editing loves RAM, I'd get a gigabyte of it (simply because any more would probably not be worth the added expense).

If you're considering an Athlon 64, you should have 2 single-sided DIMMs of RAM. You could ask in the Memory forum which products are offered in single-sided 512MB DIMMs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>