Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply to Motherboard connections right?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 8, 2005 9:53:02 PM

I just finished building my first computer. Pushed the buton to power up expecting to see the BIOS screen (no OS installed yet) and have NO VIDEO signal...however computer powers up.

I am not sure I did the right connections to the motherboard.
One of my problems is that I have a few connectors coming from the PSU that I have "leftover" and maybe I am supoused to use them.

I have a PS2 connector for six pin connection that dunno where it goes(is idle right now).
I have a black (very flat and thin)connector also coming from the PSU that I have no idea where it goes.
I have two small connectors from the PSU (for 4 pin connections) that are idle.

Motherboard manual does not provide instructions for those connectors.

Motherboard Manual indicates that there are two LED light STATUS INDICATORS on the Motherboard. When I power up only one comes on (red light).

Do I have to use the connectors mentioned?
Do both LED lights must be on?

My system

MOBO ABIT NF7 S v2
CPU AMD ATHLON 3000+bARTON
MEM 512 MEGS CORSAIR DDR400 PC 3200
VIDEOCARD ATIRADEON 9800PRO 128MEGS 256 BITS
HD WD 120 GIGS
CASE CHENBRO SPYDER
PSU FORTRON FSP350 WATS "AURORA"
OPTICAL DRIVES: ONE DVD/RW AND ONE DVD/PLAYER
NO FLOPPY
VERY SIMPLE SYSTEM. THAT'S IT.
January 8, 2005 11:18:12 PM

The only two motherboard power connections are the regular 20 pin wafer connector and the small square 4 pin connector.

The two LED's indicate when there is power on the motherboard and when the computer is turned on. If you only have one on when you try to boot, you've got a problem... LED 1 should go on when you plug in the power supply and LED 2 goes on when you power up. Which LED do you have working?

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!
January 8, 2005 11:31:58 PM

The LEDS I am referring to are on the motherboard itself...but after disconnecting all cables and connecting them again...b oth LED lights are on...

The main problem remains. Monitor does not show initial BIOS mesage prompting me to press DEL to initiate BIOS set up.

What happens is that the keyboard lights (all three green leds) flash constantly when actualy they are supoused to flash only once...

Optical drives are working.

Can not tell if HD is working but I sense vibration when I touch it.

Building for first time is frustrating.
Related resources
January 8, 2005 11:42:10 PM

Ummmm... kinda hard to tell then....

Probably the best thing to do is go through and recheck everything. Make sure you reseat the video card and memory. Have you gone through Crashman's motherboard FAQ at the start of this section? That'll help give you ideas on what to double check...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!
January 9, 2005 5:47:17 AM

Make sure the 4-pin CPU power plug is plugged in next to the CPU/heatsink. Also, it's a good idea to default the BIOS chip and start over. If you read the manual you'll see that ABIT recommends this. Make sute the CPU heatsink fan is plugged into the correct socket. Check IDE and SATA cables. If SATA is used I think you have to use Buss 0 for single drive. The small black PS plug is SATA drive power. The red LED is trickle power to the board and the orange LED is power on. See what you can find from here.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
!