need help getting second activation code from ms

Duh

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
i have a second pc at home i would like to install windows xp home on. i have a valid cd with activation code. how to i go about getting second code from ms so i can install on second home pc? thanks.

Never sharpen a boomerang.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Yep, it's real easy. You call Microsoft, provide them with a valid credit card number and they lighten your bank account for (I believe) about 95% the MSRP of a retail copy of Windows XP.

Now, that might not suit you, so I'd be out looking for (maybe) an OEM copy of XP. You may have to buy something of hardware, like a floppy drive or something, but it might save you a bunch over the price that Microsoft is going to want to charge you. I think you can head over to Newegg.com for that kind of deal.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

Duh

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
that much huh? yeah i'll just buy a oem version at new egg. i bought oem windows xp for this system for about $89.00 or something like that.

Never sharpen a boomerang.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Get XP Pro. You can install XP Pro an unlimited amount of times. With XP Home you can only install it 3 times, and then you have to call MS, and get a new activation code.

RichPLS

Champion
XP Pro has same limitation...I had to call MS when I rebuilt my rig, to get it activated again...Was pretty painless actually

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
If its on same computer, with not more than 3 or so hardware changes, either Home or Pro will install unlimited numbers of times. If it detects major changes, then you have to call MS

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Well, I originally bought XP Pro for another machine I had. It was a Duron 900, 384 MB RAM, and 20 GB hard drive. Then I built a new comp with Athlon XP 2400+, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB drive, totally new from the ground up. Installed XP on there like 2 times. Then with the same system, I added 2x74 GB Raptors in RAID 0, and since have installed XP Pro twice on that setup. Installation total of 5 times. I dunno. Hopefully I will never have to call MS. We sometimes have to call at work to activate XP on the computers, and its a real pain, waiting on the phone forever.

RichPLS

Champion
The corporate versions never need to be activated.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Well, the computers we have do. One of the computers had to be activated over the phone, because it was not activated within 30 days. The student had work on that computer that was due the next day, and I was unable to call it in that day. Since it wouldn't let you in Windows, I just booted in safe mode, and was able to get the student's files off the comp. Our's have to be registered. Why do they have to make things difficult?

RichPLS

Champion
Because they are the M$ regime and very skilled in gestapo tactics and want your first born for the use of their bloatware.