Are my PCI slots dead?

mrtaylorfrank

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005
Summary: After working on the computer, PCI slots failed to work properly, ignored the problem for a few months, now I need help fixing them; more information below.

Computer:MSI K7N2 Delta-L
AthlonXP 3200+
Corsair 512mb@DDR400
Radeon 9800 Pro 256

So, I bought this motherboard nearly six months ago and ran into a problem a few weeks in when trying to use a firewire card, the computer would detect the card, but it wouldn't let me use it. The computer, for instance, upon bootup, will recognize that there is new hardware, but even when the drivers are installed, or when I have the right drivers, it constantly shows up as unable to make the drivers work for the given device. Now, I finally just gave up and said "[-peep-] it" to this problem because it wasn't worth it because I had everything I needed onboard(sound, usb, network) so I ignored the problem, even though it was quite hindering.

All that changed when I moved into my new appt and had to setup a wireless network for myself and my room mate. The question I have is: does it sound like I can fix this or is it hardware damaged? Is it a jumper? Is it something that I'm overlooking in the BIOS or even Windows(Take in mind I've formatted a few times since this problem began and it hasn't changed anything)? The other problem that I am facing is that I notice on the MSI site that they don't seem to have anything relating to the K7N2 Delta-L model, but that is indeed the motherboard that I am using so any help anyone could provide would be AWESOME! I am begging for help, in fact, anything that anyone can suggest will be taken seriously, and I ask that no one flames and that if you do provide suggestions, to do so in great depth as I can be blonde at times Thanks in advanced!

Feel free to request more information, just post or PM me, I will be watching the post quite a bit.

pat

Expert
Which OS are u running? Did u install the nforce drivers?

That's all I can tell you for now ...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I'm wondering if it might be the Firewire card.....You said you tried to get it working, but never mentioned if you tested a different PCI card. To confirm it is the PCI slots you should try a sound card or a modem, or even a PCI video card, if you can get your hands on one. Truthfully, a PCI video card would be best, because you could find out if your PCI slots are working without the hindrance of Windows drivers (If you boot the system and can see the memory counting up, your PCI slot works).
Hope this helps!

mrtaylorfrank

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005
I have tried using other cards. My SB Audigy, SB Live!, the firewire card, the wireless card I am trying to work out now and a TV Capture card. None of them worked, and when the problem began, the Soundcard was already in and it stopped working as well, but worked fine in three other machines.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
You should answer Pat's question... I think he is on the right track. I have dealt with this exact same problem on my brothers computer, and he just didn't have the nForce drivers installed. Let us know if you have done this.

endyen

Splendid
Is the firewire card still in? Have you tried other pci cards, since, without the firewire card? Do all the pci cards go in all the way, and rest nicely on the backplate?
Try one only (no other pci card) of the cards that worked before, and tell us if it worked.

mrtaylorfrank

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005
The only card I am attempting to use is the WiFi card, because for the time being I have no use for the others, but I have tried them since attempting the WiFi card and they also do not work, whether there is 1, 2 or 3 different cards in at once, none of them work.

TRENDING THREADS