A7V8X Onboard LAN and PCI NIC Can Not Start

CCMCornell

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2003
My sister has just done a fresh reinstall of Windows XP on her computer which has an Athlon XP 2000 on an Asus A7V8X. Before the reinstall, her onboard Broadcom NIC was working fine.

With the fresh reinstall, the onboard NIC does not work properly. In Network Connections, there is no LAN connection listed. Under Device Manager, the Broadcom device is listed, but, under Properties, it says that the device can not be started (with a Code 10).

The Windows troubleshooter's solution of uninstalling the device in Device Manager and reinstalling it through Add New Hardware ends in the same result.

My sister has tried installing the drivers with the A7V8X CD that she saved. The VIA 4-in-One driver set installed fine. But Windows says that the driver on the CD for the Broadcom adapter is not an update to the already installed driver. She tried forcing Windows into installing the driver on the CD, but we get the same problem - the device can not be started.

She then purchased a D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI 10/100 NIC. After installing the card, we get the same problem - the device can not be started!

While searching for solutions online, I've found similar problems with the onboard NIC on this mobo, but no solutions. Please help!