Sign in with
Your question

notebook processor

Last response: in Mobile Computing
Anonymous
September 6, 2001 1:19:46 AM

I would like to upgrade the processor on my Compaq Presario 1270 notebook. Is that possible?? Could you accomplish that with a regular processor like you'd buy for a desktop? It has an AMD 350 MHz and I'd like to take it to ~500 if I could.

More about : notebook processor

September 6, 2001 2:41:28 AM

the K6 line seems to be easily upgradeable, but I can't swear to it on that model laptop.
try and find out if its a BGA or socket processor

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
Anonymous
September 7, 2001 2:38:17 AM

I gather that BGA is a processor type, but is it a type that is associated with notebooks? Are they more compact than what you'd put in a desktop?
I've popped the case and it is a socket processor.
Related resources
September 7, 2001 6:20:51 AM

BGA is ball grid array, simplified, the processor is soldered onto the motherboard, nonremoveable, not upgradeable. They are in laptops and PDAs and such.
Most K6 processors are socketed, thats what I thought you had, but I wasn't sure if BGA was an option or not.
You should be able to pop in a K6 2 450 easy, I'm not sure how much higher they go, maybe as high as a 550. You may even be lucky and be able to use a K6x+ series, only up to 550mhz, but integrated L2 cache really helps it.
you need to find out what voltage your laptop is capable of providing for your processor, odds are you will be able to use a K6 2 550, I can't say whether it'll handle a + series or not, voltages are different and so are the BIOS.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
Anonymous
September 7, 2001 12:04:54 PM

Makes sense.
Thanks a bunch.
Allen
!