Your question

Game Cube vs Xbox

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
Anonymous
August 25, 2001 7:57:20 AM

Seiously now i mean both look like good systems
yes

but honestly now.

Myself i would stick with Nintendo, they know what they are doing and have been bringing us good stuff for years..

Microsoft i mean, when u think of Windows,, it sure as hell aint perfect and when i think of the Xbox being like a pc all i think is being in a long game and having a blue screen come up.

O no ... windows xbox crashed again.... like thats what i think.

Seriously now. sure Microsoft has it's billions but all of there products suck, yes we use them and dont complain much cause there is nothing else out there but for a console~~??

think about it

i say stick with u know what works
all i know is windows o/s and microsoft bugs we haven't seen the last of

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tbirdinside on 08/25/01 03:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : game cube xbox

August 25, 2001 8:17:38 AM

Quote:
Myself i would stick with Nintendo, they know what they are doing and have been bringing us good stuff for years..

Microsoft i mean, when u think of Windows,, it sure as hell aint perfect and when i think of the Xbox being like a pc all i think is being in a long game and having a blue screen come up.

If you extrapolate this way, you can also consider that the cube would have mindless childish games and the X-Box content rich and complex games :wink: .

More seriously, the issue is why buy a X-Box if you already have a PC? Maybe it is better to buy a more different platform such as the Cube.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise
Related resources
Anonymous
August 25, 2001 9:56:47 AM

True

and who want's another box with a Intel Inside anyways =P

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
August 26, 2001 2:38:32 AM

I have deposits on both X-Box and Game-Cube for my son (10 years old). He prefers to have the GameCube, and feels the X-Box will be too much like his PC. I may cancel the X-Box order.

Your mistrust of the X-Box operating system is a valid one, one that did not occur to me at all. I naturally assumed that the X-Box would be perfect and bug free, but has any Microsoft OS been so? Good point Tbird.

Our Nintendo 64 has never locked up or needed "rebooting". However, you must power down and restart each time you change cartridges. Same for Playstation and Dreamcast. If we rebooted each time we started a new game on the PC, would we see as many problems? I doubt it.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
Anonymous
August 26, 2001 3:40:11 AM

In my opinion Gamecube will suck like most nintendo systems as of recently unless they get their act together and start producing some decent games, sure nintendo and snes were great when i was 7-12 but now that im 19 i prefer a more mature game to play not pokemon 14 the adventure continues, unfortunatly it seems nintendo has geared their market to this hopefully the gamecube will change that, cuz i wanna still play mario and zelda heh, but the xbox looks amazing, its powered by a geforce3 if im not mistaken or so i heard a while back, plus the games that it produces are geared toward 17-25 year olds I remember hearing , and some of the titles out so far look pretty damn cool, as it being a console pc basically I do agree with that but I highly doubt it will have crashes and freezes like Windows 98 does, upgrade to 2k or XP anyways they are stable as hell, so all in all Xbox will own the market, just wait and see..

Oh yah PS2 Sucks big time My dreamcast outdoes PS2 for a lot less money, ps2 is a waste of money these days..it stays afloat by sony's mass market and money power..other then that its junk.
August 26, 2001 6:25:56 AM

dont worry about freezing cause its gonna be a modified version of win2kpro(which i think is a great os and i have yet to ever crash)and if u need proof dreamcast uses a windows ce and i have never heard or seen it crash
August 26, 2001 6:43:01 AM

Oh yah PS2 Sucks big time My dreamcast outdoes PS2 for a lot less money, ps2 is a waste of money these days..it stays afloat by sony's mass market and money power..other then that its junk.

In some way but Grand turismo 3 is only avaible on Ps2.
Dodge Viper team oreca 1015 HP.Nissan Skyline Penzoil 1021 HP.
Anonymous
August 26, 2001 9:38:05 AM

well 2k might not have blue screens but those error logs are way cool

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
October 30, 2001 6:11:30 AM

Personaly Im for the Xbox. On hardware specs it recks the the Cube and PS2. Its almost a full generation ahead of both (Im not going to list everything here, check'm out yourself). I think its ridiculous to think that the Xbox will crash like a PC. Your talking about a super stipped down Operatating System and no new programs ever to be installed. When was the last time a PC crashed right after a fresh format and install?
However, all this doesn't mean the BOX will be the best system. No matter how good the hardware, it all comes down to the games and a wide range of customers (so u can trade games w/ friends and stores, tnx Funco LAnd). If Microsoft cant get the good games on the system, it will stick. What they need is a propritory game (i.e. Final Fantasy for PS2). So far they seem to be doing pretty good wit Halo and Dead of ALive 3. They got a contract with SEGA for like 20 games in the next two years, a few with Catacom and some kinda contract with most of the other big game makers. If all these come to fruit the Xbox should be able to bury (well maybe not BURY) the PS2. Like I said, it all comes down to games games games.
As for the Cube.... I doent even consider it because its really weak hardware wise and is geared towards the 13yrs and younger age group. Little kids don't care about pixels and megaherts, they want Yoshi. So unless you realy have the hots the Princess, the clear choice is the Xbox or PS2. As of now, its too early to tell which will be best, but thge Xbox surely have much more potential.
Anonymous
December 4, 2001 9:11:43 PM

To those that thinks the gamecube is a kiddie Machine:

Star Wars Rogue Leader
Madden
Super Smash Bros Melee (debateably kiddy, but one of the best darn fighting games I have ever played, and most people will agree with that no matter what there age).
Biohazard Remake & New Game (Resident Evil to most people)
SSX Tricky
Soul Calibre II
Probably Sequel to Conkers BFD (decidedly non-kiddie)
Probably Perfect Dark Sequel

To me (in my mid twenties) these games all appeal to me. That is why I picked up the gamecube. It's all about the games baby!
Anonymous
December 4, 2001 10:25:04 PM

you forgot Metroids, soul calibure II, Ethernal Darkness,
And I could say more...

There will have great adult game on the GameCube....

May be not from Nintendo... But there will anyway.
December 4, 2001 10:37:37 PM

Quote:
Soul Calibre II

It was there.

I agree, GameCube has adult games as well. The target markets are different though. Xbox will have a higher % of non-kiddy games.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Anonymous
December 5, 2001 10:05:16 AM

What gets me is that Nintendo made a gutsy move by being honest, and most media outlets, including Tom's, aren't noticing. I am of course talking about the polygons/sec difference in the boxes.

MS and Sony give you the theoretical maximums of their chips, while Nintendo gives you real-world output with all of the eye candy turned on. Basically, MS and Sony tell programmers "this is what you can have in your wildest dreams" and Nintendo tells them "This is the minimum you'll get no matter what you throw at it." Yet the low Nintendo number is always quoted without telling people the truth.

A couple other things with the article: ATI didn't develop the Flipper chip. It was developed by ArtX, a company founded by former SGI employees. ATI later bought this company.

GameCube also does HDTV, and for some reason, many of the abilities were marked N/A.
Anonymous
December 5, 2001 6:36:42 PM

Man, there were lots of stuff not marked down for the GC. Also to note, Factor 5 has developing groups for both Xbox, and Gamecube. There is a scene in Rogue Squadron II where you have more than 60 Tie Fighters and Bomber, along with about 10 or more High Polygon Capital Ships. My GC handles this scene at a rock solid 60 fps. The developers made a version to test on Rogue Squadron II, and only got it up to 24 fps. The Manager at Factor 5 says he'll eat a broomstick if they could manage a 60fps framerate for that scene (this level is called the "Battle of Endor." Now, that shows power on the GC side as well. Xbox is a powerful machine, with different advantages. GC has strong hardware as well. Also, GC is Broadband Capable, if you didn't notice, on the bottom of all GC is a port for a proprietary Modem for broadband or 56K, depending on what connection you have available. Its Simultaneous Texfill rates are double that of Xbox, instead of 4, its 8 for GC. It's processor clock speed should actually be around 480 Mhz, and its an IBM Power PC Chip, made out of copper instead of aluminum. Even many developers say that the 12Million Polygon per second real world fill rate say that its too modest of a number, and that its capable of more.The 3D audio supported is Dolby Prologic II, which is 5 distinct channels of sound.
It also had HDTV support, and thats to add to the GC spec sheet which they left out in this review. GC will try to appeal to its older audiences, with all its new games coming out, there's also a few really gory ones that you may be hearing about coming out soon.
Anonymous
December 6, 2001 12:07:30 AM

Well it's obvious Tom didn't put alot of effort into reaserching the gamecube in his console wars article... Many of the specs he marked N/A are in fact available for the GC. Maybe Tom shoulda spent less time reaserching the "History of Gaming" and found out what is really under the lid of these systems... He wrote more on systems that are a decade old then what we all really want to know about, XBOX, GameCube, and PS2.. What a useless article.. Anyway just my 2 cents.

-KA
December 6, 2001 4:25:48 PM

Quote:
Well it's obvious Tom didn't put alot of effort into reaserching the gamecube in his console wars article...

Tom didn't do any research, it was written by David Hodgson, Dr. Jeff Rabin and Katerine Down.

Quote:
Maybe Tom shoulda spent less time reaserching the "History of Gaming" and found out what is really under the lid of these systems...

It seemed to me (and I could be wrong), that the point of the article was more for the history than the current.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Anonymous
December 7, 2001 10:05:18 AM

The important thing is not the hardware but the game. If you want Halo, you buy an Xbox. If you want Metal gear or Final Fantasy you buy an PS2, and if you Metroids or Resident Evil you buy the GameCube. All the three will have good graphic when they will be at there top.

The exemple: the Nintendo 64 is a better machine in number than the PSone. But for many people the game on nintendo did not fil there taste. So they buy a PSone.

And if you like the game on the three, you buy the three. It will cost less than a mindblowing game pc anyway...
December 7, 2001 6:04:07 PM

I won't be buying one of the systems soon because I'm a PC guy but I think my favor is for the Gamecube. That game designer nintendo has, Miyamoto or whatever simply is one of the best.
My last console was a N64, I didn't play it that much for some reason, I play games but PC just seems to interest me alot more. I like the innovation nintendo offers, they had 4 players built in first, the first rumble pad, the first to really come out with a new style controller with the analog stick, the memory packs you plug into the controller. The company is odviously the real mccoy when it comes to the game industry. I think anyone who denys that just wants to make the company look bad or want to put it down cuz they bought something else.
I almost preferred the PS1 over N64 but I was disgusted with lack of innovation on sonys part, mainly the 4 player built in. I can't stand to see a console these days without that.
What a waste, why would I buy a two player console (ya theres adapters but every system that offered those, the majority of games never really took advantage of it) when I can easily enough play 2 player on the same PC or play 32 player online.

I love drinking beers (yes Tom and our German friends, cheap weak American beer, busch light to be exact), and playing some 4 player NFL blitz with buddys on my N64.

Mario Party and Super Smash Bros were fresh titles you don't see sony developing, Mario Kart (even the SNES one) was a fresh idea and most followed nintendos lead.. they have been following for a long time now.

I think theirs enough fans of Zelda (as opposed to FF which started on the NES so I don't know why its not offered on nintendo consoles) to draw people away from the FF games offered on PS2.

No one even said anythign about the gameboy series of handhelds, theres for backwards compadibility with about a 100,000 games!

Anyways I hope theres others out there that realize how crucial nintendo has been in pushing innovation, for me the PC is the true juggernaut but for consoles I gotta go nintendo.

Damn you guys, bringing up all their stuff makes me want to go buy a GC..
One question, could someone explain the metroid love thing to me? I never got that, I mean the game hasnt really been around since NES and there was a crappy one for N64 (i think).

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?
Anonymous
January 24, 2002 11:02:19 PM

In order to answer that question you need to ask your self what kind of games you like. Nintendo knows what they are doing - they know fun games - the problem is their games are usually very "cute" and look childish. If you play them you realize that Nintendos games are actually very involved. Most people can not get past the the fact they look cute.

Microsoft is going to do everything in their power to control the market. That basically means they will spend as much as it takes to win. Their system is actually very inefficient and their controller couldn't get any worse, but if anyone had the money to buy the best pogramers its Microsoft. Look as Halo. It really is a fun game.

Basically Nintendo will probally make more fun games and try to attract "older gamers" (those over 12 years old) ,with game like Resident Evil, while keeping making sure not to disappoint the kids, with games like Pikmin.

Microsoft will spend as mush as they can to ensure they have a few outstanding games. Then they will spend spend soend on advertizing so everyone knows they have great games.
February 5, 2002 4:36:09 PM

Your absolutely correct... I too am a PC gamer, and consider the PC to the the premium platform for gaming in general...

But recently I have bought a GameCube simply because Nintendo fills a different niche market of video games - to put it bluntly, the good drinking games ;)  These games usually share certain characteristics: they are fun, reletively simple, decent graphics, but, in a weird way, often end up offering more in-depth gameplay than a first glance would indicate.

I find games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros to be infinitely more enjoyable than more "adult" targeted games on other consoles... You are also correct in that Nintendo is always the innovator as far as games go... Any 5 minute look at GC's up-and-coming title list would make that clear.

As for going out to get a GC right now - I would say go for it if you need to play Super Smash Bros Melee now... Otherwise, there isnt any real hurry since most of Nintendo's power-titles have yet to arrive. Give it a year and I think GC will be the easy choice as far as consoles go.

whats a signature?
!