[SOLVED] How to copy Mac OS X Installation DVD to a HDD in WIndows 7???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I am trying to make a bootable Mac OS X installation HDD, but all I can find is ways to do it in OS X.... What I am trying to do is that I am trying to install OS X on a new SSD I got for my macbook, but the combo drive is broken, and my external DVD drive doesn't work because when I try to boot from there, it gets stuck on a screen like this:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1249C644D8BAB669&id=1249C644D8BAB669%21147&sc=documents

So simply, I am trying to burn the installation DVD to a firewire HDD on a windows 7 computer, and I need a solution for that.

Thanks in advance!

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

I let the drive run for about 1 hour, and still nothing. I have both (2) USB connections conencted. It sounds like it's reading properly. Did you even read the part where I said:
"So basically, I am trying to burn the OS X installation DVD to a firewire HDD, and I need a solution for that"? Because I do know that my model of the macbook doesn't support USB boot.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I did read your post. When troubleshooting, one looks at the easiest stuff first. Often, a problem is very basic and can be solved with little or no effort. If your external optical device is working properly, then your media may be the problem. Are you using a burned copy of OS X or a commercial disk?

halcyon

Splendid

...and it has to be a Core 2 Duo or better...no Core Duo or Core Solos allowed for Lion.

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Well, it IS a intel mac with the T8100(?) CPU. Does that mean it supports USB boot? Btw, I said Leopard (10.5), not Lion (10.7). Also, the DVD is the one that came with my macbook that says "Mac OS X Install Disc 1" and on the OS X version it says "10.5.4". I also noticed that on the outside part of the DVD there's a few 'dirty' spots, but it looks like the DVD drive laser can read through it. Should I try to clean it? I also tried remote installing it with the 'little' utility thingy, but no luck.

halcyon

Splendid

T8100 = 2.1Ghz Core 2 Duo...just fyi.

I'm blind...couldn't see where you said 10.5 in your previous posts.

Check this

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your reference to 10.5 is no where in the thread expect where you state it further in the mix. Not an issue.

What disk burning software are you using on your Win 7 box? I would suggest you try to burn (copy) your OS X media to a new disk (at the slowest possible speed) to see if the second copy is readable by your external drive.

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Actually, I can't find the Leopard ISO on the DVD with windows 7... I think that I will have to figure out how to do that first...:??: The only things I see are these:
2uidye9.png

None of the folders contain ANY .dmg or .iso files. Also, the disk burning software is Power2Go 6.

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Holy s*** that was fast. Which DVD is the original disk? The files shown on the picture are the files I see on the 1st Install DVD. Is the ISO located on the 2nd DVD or are the files just hidden? I'll see if I can copy the original DVD.

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

How do I copy the disk? I tried several clone utilities and none of them recognized the DVD drive because the drive is USB connected... So how do I clone the DVD drive?

BlueAndGray

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Actually, I need something that is free. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS