Linksys WRT54GS Intermittent Drops

Folks,

My problem is simple to explain. Every 30 minutes or my only
wireless-connected computer drops connection and then re-establishes
connection.

Now for my hardware:

Cable Modem: Toshiba

Router: Linksys WRT54GS (Firmware v2.07.1)

Wireless-connected computer: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter (WMP54G)

My other two computers are hard-wired to the router. It is only my upstairs
computer (two levels up) that has the wireless connection.

All my computers run XP (SP2).

When connected, my upstairs computer has excellent signal strength (at least
that's what it says).

I am running WEP security with a wireless mac filtering, allowing only my
computers access.

I have made sure that I configured my wireless connection to only connect to
my network and not any available network, as I read that this may cause
intermittent drops.

I hope I have provided all the relevant information. I want to fix this
problem, as it has been driving me nuts.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Alanb

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:59:47 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Alan
Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>My problem is simple to explain. Every 30 minutes or my only
>wireless-connected computer drops connection and then re-establishes
>connection.

power saving is enabled for the wireless card?
--
Mark McIntyre

"Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:59:47 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Alan
> Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote:
>
>>Folks,
>>
>>My problem is simple to explain. Every 30 minutes or my only
>>wireless-connected computer drops connection and then re-establishes
>>connection.
>
> power saving is enabled for the wireless card?
> --

No, that has been disabled.

It looks like it might have been our cordless phone, at least that's my
preliminary assessment. No drops so far today, after disconnecting the
cordless.

Alanb

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:36:09 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Alan
Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote:

>It looks like it might have been our cordless phone, at least that's my
>preliminary assessment. No drops so far today, after disconnecting the
>cordless.

Very possible - a lot of them use the same frequency.
--

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:36:09 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Alan
> Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote:
>
>>It looks like it might have been our cordless phone, at least that's my
>>preliminary assessment. No drops so far today, after disconnecting the
>>cordless.
>
> Very possible - a lot of them use the same frequency.
> --

Well, I don't think that's it.

I'm going to run through the channels and see if one sticks with no
disconnects.

One question, though. I have an XBox wireless adapter. As far as I can
tell, that has never disconnected, but it is on the same floor as my
wireless router.

Now, as far as these intermittent disconnects go, is it true that the
farther away a wireless-connected computer is the more likely it will have
disconnects? If that is not the case, then these disconnects have something
to do with the settings on the computer that is getting disconnected, since
my wireless XBox connection doesn't seem to be prone to these disconnects.

Thanks,

Alanb