Sign in with
Your question

Windows (crappy) firewall

Last response: in Windows XP
December 9, 2004 9:01:09 AM

Windows firewall keeps re-enabling itself without my knowledge. After I've disabled it, I'll try running any one of a number of internet applications, and a window will pop up asking if firewall should continue blocking it or not. So I disable the firewall, and a few minutes later, it happens again! What should I do?
Thanks for your time!

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.
December 9, 2004 9:05:32 PM

you have to check the box that states that you "have another firewall that you monitor yourself" (even though you don´t) in the Windows Security Center (or whatnot) of sp2

Abit IC7 Max II Adv.- P4E3.0@3.6 - CNPS7000B-CU - i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-5 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b
December 13, 2004 8:29:45 PM

I am assuming you are running XP SP2. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and click Services. Scroll down and right click on Internet Connection Firewall, and click stop. Also change the service to manual under properties, so it doesn't start up again when computer is restarted. Also, want to get rid of that pain in the butt Security Center in XP SP2? Under services, right click under Security Center (I think) and do the same process as above.
!