Excel 2007 jpeg hyperlink problem

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
My excel 2007 spreadsheet has hyperlinks to photos that used to open properly in photo viewer. Now open in IE 8. Yes the file associations are working and set up. Hyperlinks worked properly until Windows 7 64 bit crashed so badly I had to reinstall. Hours on the internet and still no solution...help please

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Had to reinstall Office as well since all the associated registries went with it, outlook etc. Actually had to reinstall most programs because of the lost Start Menu and registry entries

Side note unrelated to the jpeg issue: found out it was a copy protection driver on the game "Brothers in ArmsEiB" that was the cause of the windows 7 crash in the first place (backwards compatibility yeah right)

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Directly opening the jpegs opens Picture viewer fine. The reason why I want it to open via Excel is because each link opens the first in a small series of photos that with Picture Viewer is easy to navigate thru.

My research to date has indicated I need to registry tweak an additional line for Office 9.0 and set a dword but this tweak disables spreadsheet to spreadsheet links. This tweak dates from the Windows Vista days, but I use Windows 7. I am also running Office 12.0, not 9.0 thus my reluctance to even attempt this "fix"

If you had some bad registry issues, this is where this is coming from. You have lost a connection that tells Windows what to use as a program, but there are so many different ones setup (just look for "MIME types" in the registry and online search) that I can't start to offer you a fix. I have attemted to fix these types of errors in the past when Firefox or Chrome took over http settings and would not give them back to I.E., but I have always just gotten partial success.

Unless someone on here can give you a better answer, the only true fix I know of is to re-install Windows.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Windows 7 64 bit crashed so badly I had to reinstall (this has already been done). This is when I discovered that the associations within IE 8 had taken over Picture Viewer (Sidenote - I did with Win 7 what I could never do with Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, Win XP: crash it so badly I had to reinstall the OS)

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Regretfully, I can say that I have had all versions of Windows crash so bad that a reinstall was necessary, actually Win ME was my favorite, no matter how bad it crashed if you did a reinstallation over what was there, it would repair itself and all the data was still there.
I have posted this a few times, but I always share when a hard crash and reinstallation is necessary, so read this, I haven't had any serious problems siince I did this, which now is about 3 weeks, considering that I have never had Win7 installation last to the end of the 30 day eval period before, this may make it

Win7 seems to have more than the usual amount of problems with BSOD's, lots of threads and lots of varied results, ATI drivers are a headache, but I am using a Nvidia card, I have 4 computers running Win7 Ultimate(64 and 32bit), 1 laptop and 3 desktops, none are reliable yet, have search the MSFT socials, and every place that my search engine(not Google) will find, lately tried switching to 64bit to see if there is any improvement, 15 days later and they started(BSOD's) again, I had always thought that Win 7 had a memory leak, mostly because the causes were so different, no rhyme or reason for them, everyone had different issues, so the last time I had to reinstall I did a dual boot with XP so I could run my old games, that destroyed being able to Restore to a earlier time, 10 days later the problems started again, this time I disconnected the HDD that has all my apps on it(WD 500G), figured I'd spend some time checking everything again, when I rebooted it ran fine, reconnected the HDD and rebooted and more problems, disconnect the HDD all is well, HMM though the HDD is dying right, NOT, it's a WD so I ran WD Diagnostic tools, no problem, ran every HDD Daignostic tool I could find, no problems, I am assuming the tools are right and the drive is good, so why is the the second drive causing me problems, looked in the System Settings, went to Virtual Memory, and checked the settings
Control Panel
Open System
In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.
Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change. "C" for me
Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.
the Page file size was 2046, but the recommended was 3069, that was strange, the system had allocated less page file space than it recommended, so I clicked on Custom size changed the Minimum size to 3069 and the Max size to 4096, clicked the Set button to the right and OK at the bottom, reconnected the second HDD and rebooted, started and ran fine and has been fine since then, 5 days now with out a BSOD, considering that it was BSOD at boot before I hope that my issues are done, so if you have tried everything alse and can't seem to get a handle on why you are having BSOD's, try this, and good luck, will advise later.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Don't think I have a prob with virtual memory, 8 Gig on the MB and have a 4GB USB key plugged in as additioal memory