Sign in with
Your question

Stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data"

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2005 12:10:34 AM

I have an older computer with a Gigabyte GA-6bxd board and just added 2 80GB Maxtor HDs.
The box would not boot because the HDs were too big. I flushed in the latest available mainboard BIOS and now it detects the HDs properly and boots from CD all the way through to complete a 3 CD Fedora Core 1 installation.
After the installation is complete, I try to reboot the freshly installed system, but I can not get beyond the "Verifying DMI pool data".
In the BIOS drive list, all drives, including the two new ones, are shown correctly (which was not the case before the BIOS update).
If I unplug the two big HDs, I can boot the system ok.
The two big HDs are used in a software-raid1 configuration. The Fedora installer shows, configures and even formats them correctly, so the system actually detects and handles them properly - just at boot time, something goes wrong.

Here is my configuration:
IDE0 master: 23 GB HD
IDE0 slave: CD-ROM
IDE1 master: 1st 80 GB HD
IDE1 slave: 2nd 80 GB HD

I had it sit there for half an hour, then gave up waiting...

Any ideas how I could fix this?

Thanks,

MARK

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by markarnold on 01/13/05 09:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 14, 2005 3:54:47 AM

I tried pulling out one of the big HDs (IDE1 slave) and then am able to boot. Then put it back in and pulled out the other big one (IDE1 master) - can boot too.
Just both of them on still doesnt work...
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2005 9:07:51 PM

Do you have the jumpers on the back of the driver set correctly? Master/Slave?

I aint signing nothing!!!
Related resources
January 14, 2005 11:55:03 PM

If I understand correctly, you are trying to setup a RAID array with 2 drives on the same channel. I dont know if it is possible, because first I dont know if that controller support RAID or if you need to setup a software RAID. the drives should be jumpered as master and slave to be use on the same channel. That what you'll want to check. to setup a hardware RAID array, you'll have to put one drive master on channel 0 and one drive master on channel 1. I dont know if you'll still be able to use optical devices as slave of HDD for each channel.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
January 15, 2005 12:33:27 AM

No hardware raid, just software raid, so the BIOS won't even know.
The software-raid does not care what master/slave configuration and what controller the disks are on.
Master/slave are jumpered correctly and all disks are accessable the way they should be when I boot from CDROM, I just can't boot from HD...
January 15, 2005 2:20:43 AM

i assume you are using fedora raid software. I am not familiar with it. I have done a software raid1 setup for windows. Under windows, to do a software raid setup, you must first load the operating system to one disk. Then you run the raid software, and it sets up the raid. This may also be the case with fedora, your system may just be hung up looking for basic dos protocals.
January 15, 2005 2:35:00 AM

try this:
<A HREF="http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm" target="_new">http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm&lt;/A>
Quote:

Issue:

Computer stops at verifying dmi pool data...

Cause:

This issue can be caused by any of the following:

Corrupt boot files on the computer.
Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
Floppy diskette or CD in computer causing issue.
Boot devices not set properly.
BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
Connections loose or disconnected.
Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.
Additional information:

See our DMI dictionary definition page for additional information about DMI

The loving are the daring!
!