• 7 x64

Votes: 40 62.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Which one is best for gaming? I have been having issues with my hardware being compatible and preforming on 7 so I'm thinking about getting a different OS.

Specs in sig.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Windows 7 has so many issues this forum is overflowing with them.

XP and Vista are great for gaming.

Makes sense... Was Windows 7 just a little hyped? I know its still new. I'm trying to find a copy of Vista x64 and see if that can fix my issue because my computer only preforms well in basic mode. I have it in the shop and they have also come down to the conclusion that its most likely 7 giving me the issues.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Seems like that's not really the best answer, I'm no expert but based on the comment above Windows 7 seems to be a little bit of a problem for most at this point. I could see why it is being used "mainly because its new?"

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the other two OS's be a better option than 7 because they have been debugged and updated?

well between my friends and I, we haven't been having any problems and it seems to work better than vista for them (not so much myself)

but like ZZF said, there are quite a few people on these forums having issues with Win 7

daship

Distinguished
The only people having issues, are having issues due to user error. Win 7 is Microsoft's best OS hands down.

To many idiots build PCs with incorrect hardware, and immediately blame all issues on the OS.

but you also can't blame them all on user error either

isamuelson

Distinguished
Uh, how can Vista be BETTER than Windows 7 when Windows 7 is Vista with all the performance issues removed and with some better tweaks? I haven't had any issues running games except those that were written under the old DOS/Win95 stack. But heck, even Ultima IX works fine under Windows 7 64-bit.

How about people who have issues playing Fallout 3 in Win 7?

From Bethsoft's site:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/games/f3-faq.html

Does Fallout 3 Support Windows 7?
Fallout 3 is not an officially supported title of Windows 7.

From Windows Compatibility Center:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/e6bd1345-d4d0-4c52-b9f9-546fef0323a6

Not compatible

Is that considered user error?

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

I have win 7 x64 and run fallout 3 perfectly fine...

No matter what OS, people are going to find issues; and like it or not, these issues are mostly the users fault

xNoXiOuS

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I've played a wide variety of games on 7 x64, some take a bit of tweaking as Herr said, but they aren't impossible tweaks. People who can't operate a computer whine when something doesn't work the first time. If you do the proper research before playing games you will be better off.

AWWWWEEEEEESOME avatar!

isamuelson

Distinguished

I've had issues with both Fallout 3 and Oblivion that usually gets fixed with a reboot. I attribute this to the program itself NOT the OS or the user as this problem persisted under XP as well as Vista for me (well, at least with Oblivion).

All my other games work just fine with the exception of the occasional game that uses a 16-bit installer (Blade Runner). In that case, I just run that in a virtualized instance (doesn't take much horse power to run that game) under VmWare which does DirectX/3D acceleration. Same with Diablo. But, those are the only two games I have to this with. All my other games work fine. Those that are DOS based, I used DosBox. All the Ultimas work just fine under Windows 7 64-bit, Duke 3D, etc.

Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista out of the box. No having to wait for major SPs to fix it, like Vista.

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
windows 7 is by far the BEST OPERATING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD!!! if you have a different opinion.. congratulations.. you have just become the first person in the world to have an opinion that is WRONG!!!

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

actually goto the very top of this page.. 77.3% said windows 7 64 bit.. OWNED!!!

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

you win this round randomizer!!! ;p

yeah, even though i voted Win 7 x64, i prefer Linux (preferably Arch linux with Xfce4) as my OS, but can't due to wanting high performance in video games (WINE is not a substitute IMO)

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

honestly ive never tried linux.. from what everbody says it'd be worth at least trying out..

Status
Not open for further replies.