• 0 %
  • Vista x64
  • 2 %
  • 7 x32
  • 7 %
  • 7 x64
  • 64 %
July 27, 2010 4:29:18 PM

Which one is best for gaming? I have been having issues with my hardware being compatible and preforming on 7 so I'm thinking about getting a different OS.

Specs in sig.

More about : gaming

July 27, 2010 5:11:08 PM

Quote:
Windows 7 has so many issues this forum is overflowing with them.

XP and Vista are great for gaming.

Makes sense... Was Windows 7 just a little hyped? I know its still new. I'm trying to find a copy of Vista x64 and see if that can fix my issue because my computer only preforms well in basic mode. I have it in the shop and they have also come down to the conclusion that its most likely 7 giving me the issues.
July 27, 2010 9:26:02 PM

honestly, it really doesn't matter, though going to a decent size LAN party (100+) most people are using windows 7 x64
Related resources
July 27, 2010 10:22:17 PM

mindless728 said:
honestly, it really doesn't matter, though going to a decent size LAN party (100+) most people are using windows 7 x64

Seems like that's not really the best answer, I'm no expert but based on the comment above Windows 7 seems to be a little bit of a problem for most at this point. I could see why it is being used "mainly because its new?"

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the other two OS's be a better option than 7 because they have been debugged and updated?
July 27, 2010 10:25:13 PM

benson733 said:
Seems like that's not really the best answer, I'm no expert but based on the comment above Windows 7 seems to be a little bit of a problem for most at this point. I could see why it is being used "mainly because its new?"

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the other two OS's be a better option than 7 because they have been debugged and updated?

well between my friends and I, we haven't been having any problems and it seems to work better than vista for them (not so much myself)

but like ZZF said, there are quite a few people on these forums having issues with Win 7
July 27, 2010 11:41:50 PM

The only people having issues, are having issues due to user error. Win 7 is Microsoft's best OS hands down.

To many idiots build PCs with incorrect hardware, and immediately blame all issues on the OS.
July 27, 2010 11:46:40 PM

daship said:
The only people having issues, are having issues due to user error. Win 7 is Microsoft's best OS hands down.

To many idiots build PCs with incorrect hardware, and immediately blame all issues on the OS.

but you also can't blame them all on user error either
July 28, 2010 7:47:27 AM

All my XP games work on 7 as well, including some 1990's classics. It takes a bit of tweaking but is certainly not impossible.
July 28, 2010 6:52:35 PM

Uh, how can Vista be BETTER than Windows 7 when Windows 7 is Vista with all the performance issues removed and with some better tweaks? I haven't had any issues running games except those that were written under the old DOS/Win95 stack. But heck, even Ultima IX works fine under Windows 7 64-bit.
July 29, 2010 12:10:09 PM

Supporting Piracy is not allowed on these forums.
July 29, 2010 12:32:15 PM

We'd appreciate it if you didn't quote the spam as well. It means we have to manually delete/edit it out of your posts as it doesn't get removed when we delete all of a spammer's posts.
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2010 6:48:19 PM

daship said:

How about people who have issues playing Fallout 3 in Win 7?

From Bethsoft's site:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/games/f3-faq.html

Quote:
Does Fallout 3 Support Windows 7?
Fallout 3 is not an officially supported title of Windows 7.

From Windows Compatibility Center:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr...

Quote:
Not compatible

Is that considered user error?
July 29, 2010 7:25:14 PM

jaguarskx said:
How about people who have issues playing Fallout 3 in Win 7?

From Bethsoft's site:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/games/f3-faq.html

Quote:
Does Fallout 3 Support Windows 7?
Fallout 3 is not an officially supported title of Windows 7.

From Windows Compatibility Center:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr...

Quote:
Not compatible

Is that considered user error?

I have win 7 x64 and run fallout 3 perfectly fine...

No matter what OS, people are going to find issues; and like it or not, these issues are mostly the users fault
July 30, 2010 8:16:19 AM

I've played a wide variety of games on 7 x64, some take a bit of tweaking as Herr said, but they aren't impossible tweaks. People who can't operate a computer whine when something doesn't work the first time. If you do the proper research before playing games you will be better off.
July 30, 2010 10:24:10 AM

xNoXiOuS said:
I've played a wide variety of games on 7 x64, some take a bit of tweaking as Herr said, but they aren't impossible tweaks. People who can't operate a computer whine when something doesn't work the first time. If you do the proper research before playing games you will be better off.

AWWWWEEEEEESOME avatar!
July 30, 2010 12:25:10 PM

jefe323 said:
I have win 7 x64 and run fallout 3 perfectly fine...

No matter what OS, people are going to find issues; and like it or not, these issues are mostly the users fault

I've had issues with both Fallout 3 and Oblivion that usually gets fixed with a reboot. I attribute this to the program itself NOT the OS or the user as this problem persisted under XP as well as Vista for me (well, at least with Oblivion).

All my other games work just fine with the exception of the occasional game that uses a 16-bit installer (Blade Runner). In that case, I just run that in a virtualized instance (doesn't take much horse power to run that game) under VmWare which does DirectX/3D acceleration. Same with Diablo. But, those are the only two games I have to this with. All my other games work fine. Those that are DOS based, I used DosBox. All the Ultimas work just fine under Windows 7 64-bit, Duke 3D, etc.

Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista out of the box. No having to wait for major SPs to fix it, like Vista.
July 30, 2010 12:35:24 PM

As Fallout 3 is made by Bethesda I would also attribute the blame to the game.
July 31, 2010 4:03:28 AM

windows 7 is by far the BEST OPERATING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD!!! if you have a different opinion.. congratulations.. you have just become the first person in the world to have an opinion that is WRONG!!!
July 31, 2010 4:14:37 AM

I guess that means that 85% of people are wrong then :) 
July 31, 2010 4:18:29 AM

randomizer said:
I guess that means that 85% of people are wrong then :) 

actually goto the very top of this page.. 77.3% said windows 7 64 bit.. OWNED!!!
July 31, 2010 4:26:11 AM

Yea they said it was the best OS for gaming. You said it was the best OS in the world. Totally different things.
July 31, 2010 5:58:25 AM

randomizer said:
Yea they said it was the best OS for gaming. You said it was the best OS in the world. Totally different things.

you win this round randomizer!!! ;p
July 31, 2010 3:11:06 PM

randomizer said:

yeah, even though i voted Win 7 x64, i prefer Linux (preferably Arch linux with Xfce4) as my OS, but can't due to wanting high performance in video games (WINE is not a substitute IMO)
July 31, 2010 8:34:51 PM

mindless728 said:
yeah, even though i voted Win 7 x64, i prefer Linux (preferably Arch linux with Xfce4) as my OS, but can't due to wanting high performance in video games (WINE is not a substitute IMO)

honestly ive never tried linux.. from what everbody says it'd be worth at least trying out..
July 31, 2010 8:56:28 PM

i think it is worth trying, though for gaming you might be very disappointed (ie it kind of sucks to do)
July 31, 2010 9:27:29 PM

mindless728 said:
i think it is worth trying, though for gaming you might be very disappointed (ie it kind of sucks to do)

ewwww... i couldnt do it then.. battlefield bad company 2 isnt gonna get head shots for me. :D  lol.. and then we have medal of honor and a new modern warfare coming out too.. caaaannntttt do it...
July 31, 2010 10:48:25 PM

well you can always dual boot to see if you like linux (and keep windows for gaming)
August 1, 2010 2:20:00 AM

If you want to use Linux, use it for native Linux software. Trying to use it with Windows software is going to cause frustration. You don't try running Xbox games on your PS3 for the same reason.
October 11, 2010 8:00:04 AM

Well, the major problem with Windows 7 is that those using 2 GB of RAM, Windows 7 eats 800mb already, so XP-64 bit is way MUCH better because it only eats 200mb at most while still recognizing >4GB memory RAM.
Although those who are more pocket-moneyed can go to standard 4 GB and both Win 7 and XP-64 will run fine.

Vote for XP-64.
October 17, 2010 8:11:38 PM

many people making mistake about voting for win 7 64 bit , win XP 32 bit is greatest IMO , i have reasons , reasons is that win XP is not heavy windows & it doesnt have DX 11 or 10 which make games slower but with better quality ( only little ) , after that 64 bit windows isnt compatibkle with all softwares but good point is that it can support more than 4GB ram , so if u have more than 4Gb then go for 64 Bit . BUT any way i experienced games on those WINDOWS & all i saw was that XP can perform GAMES faster & better because its simple windows with no 3D icons & Taskbars & ...
December 10, 2010 9:14:29 PM

For older games, 32 bit is a bit less buggy, but most of the newer games coming out are made for 64-bit.
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2010 11:40:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!