Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Acer: We'll Overtake HP in Laptops By End of Year

Last response: in News comments
June 22, 2010 1:14:43 AM

I'm sorry to say, but acer does not make quality laptops. they're about staying cheap and *plastic-like*. Thus, selling laptops for Acer is much easier to accomplish, as most consumers don't even know what quality means, only price.
Score
June 22, 2010 1:20:26 AM

I laugh at the notion that HP has anything to do with quality. Their laptops are crap.
Score
Related resources
June 22, 2010 1:22:33 AM

Tayb speaks the truth.

Score
June 22, 2010 1:24:46 AM

amk09Tayb speaks the truth.

I second that notion.
Score
June 22, 2010 1:35:30 AM

Good luck LOL
Score
June 22, 2010 1:35:51 AM

I've been around HP's customer service a few times, and I'm at least happy to hear someone speaking clear english. However, the product "quality" is relatively similar.

However, a friend of mine was completely rejected for a replacement hard drive a month after getting his Acer laptop. Funny how the poster behind the CEO says "we hear you"
Score
June 22, 2010 1:36:22 AM

polly the parrotI second that notion.

me too!
Score
June 22, 2010 1:41:15 AM

chickenhoagiehp is more about quality with its laptops than acer is. I'm sorry to say, but acer does not make quality laptops. they're about staying cheap and *plastic-like*. Thus, selling laptops for Acer is much easier to accomplish, as most consumers don't even know what quality means, only price. HP's $1,000 laptops will always be better than what acer sells

Agreed. I had one die on me in 4 months. I thought I would give them another try. Died in 14 months. Ridiculous. Now I have an Acer, and happy. =)
Score
June 22, 2010 1:43:06 AM

taybI laugh at the notion that HP has anything to do with quality. Their laptops are crap.

I mean to quote this comment. Not the above one.

Agreed. I had one die on me in 4 months. I thought I would give them another try. Died in 14 months. Ridiculous. Now I have an Acer, and happy. =)
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
June 22, 2010 1:43:27 AM

Just buy a Dell then, best thing you can get for the money now.
Score
June 22, 2010 1:54:03 AM

chickenhoagiehp is more about quality with its laptops than acer is. I'm sorry to say, but acer does not make quality laptops. they're about staying cheap and *plastic-like*. Thus, selling laptops for Acer is much easier to accomplish, as most consumers don't even know what quality means, only price. HP's $1,000 laptops will always be better than what acer sells

Why should you have to spend $1000 to get a quality laptop? Are you saying less than $1000, hp laptops are worse or the same as Acer's? Hoenstly Hp and Acer are far to similar to say HP is better even by a small margin.
Score
June 22, 2010 1:55:50 AM

Why do they not do custom laptops like everyone else does? Acer? DO YOU REALLY HEAR ME?
Score
June 22, 2010 1:58:30 AM

not a fan boy, this is my very first notebook and is an ACER, I bought based on features, performance, tons of reviews and price range.

I think this is what any educated customer would do (a carefull research) before buying a new notebook (or pretty much anything else.)

with this said... after removing the all bloatware (which I was aware of) I'm very happy with my purchase.

note: for about 20 years I have always built my own PC's but given that this is my first
Notebook I wasn't confident on building my first one.
Score
June 22, 2010 2:00:31 AM

Acer: We'll Overtake HP in Laptops By End of Year

Me: yeas, and you'll beat them in the number of defects too!

Not an HP fan but Acer has a really bad track record for reliability
Score
June 22, 2010 2:14:55 AM

quintopJust buy a Dell then, best thing you can get for the money now.

Heck no. Get a Lenovo Thinkpad. They are about the best thing on the market right now in quality.
Score
June 22, 2010 2:15:02 AM

I'll take IBM over anything. :) 
Score
June 22, 2010 2:16:37 AM

When you comapair consumer HP and Acer laptops there realy isn't much of a difference. Complaining about how you had a hard drive or gpu that failed from one company to another doesn't say much when neither HP nor Acer made hardly any of the components in either. You do have to keep in mind that HP makes really 2 classes of laptops, consumer and business. I have always perfered the business class which have less extras but have better quality feel to them.
Score
June 22, 2010 2:17:04 AM

Do those laptop sales figures include netbooks or just actual (real) laptops?

Acer has always been pretty crappy. HP and Dell used to make quality products, but nowadays they're not much better. The best made PC laptops right now are ASUS, IMHO. They're not always the cheapest, but they're well-built and fairly priced. And they stand behind their products with a standard two year warranty (if purchased through the right distribution channel, like Xoticpc.com rather than a place like Best Buy).
Score
June 22, 2010 3:24:52 AM

ditto at whatever Tayb said. ^_^
Score
June 22, 2010 3:33:28 AM

FrozenGpuWhy should you have to spend $1000 to get a quality laptop? Are you saying less than $1000, hp laptops are worse or the same as Acer's? Hoenstly Hp and Acer are far to similar to say HP is better even by a small margin.

I've honestly never seen a $1,000+ laptop for sale by Acer, so I'm saying HP makes their high-end laptops with better parts. My dad's HDX HP laptop looks as beautiful as any nice brand Asus laptop and works awesome, but seeing tiny acer netbooks makes me cringe at the quality. but like i said, the price is what gets consumers buyin those types of laptops.
Score
June 22, 2010 4:20:56 AM

Acer mostly makes low end consumer based laptops, make cheap, sell cheap and has low profit margin per laptop. HP, Dell, Lenovo, Panasonic makes money by selling business class laptops at a higher profit margin. It is really sad for Acer which brought out brands emachines and Gateway but they barely sell them with that name. For me, I brought an acer 1410 for my wife and I am using an acer aspire one right now. I can't complain its quality for its price but they will be an low end producer unless they do something about it.
Score
June 22, 2010 4:29:57 AM

i am a proud owner of an asus laptop
Score
June 22, 2010 4:51:14 AM

I agree 100%. Acer is doing everything right at this point and they have really impressed me. I'm very happy with 7740G-6364. They've got so many different options, and for me, their main selling point was that they not only offer affordable laptops, but they also don't forget the importance of video cards for those of us who like to game. Keep up the good work Acer, you deserve the top spot. Just don't forget what got you there.
Score
June 22, 2010 5:21:23 AM

amk09Tayb speaks the truth.

polly the parrotI second that notion.

and I third it too.
On my hand i have 2 HP laptops they constantly causing small issues which I need to take care all the time, not to mention the initial setup time to remove all bundlewares, most of HP own softwares are useless (taking resources and causing lags).

I have an Acer used as HTPC which 'every friend' touches and messes up, I can't say it's too great but at least it works as it means to be.
Score
June 22, 2010 5:45:14 AM

I choose acer laptops it serves me well for years.
Score
June 22, 2010 5:49:47 AM

Real life experience:

I'm "proud" owner of acer 8001 series laptop. That's a "premium" series, mind you. In several month, some keys stopped working. Went to Saturn, sent it for repairs (they said it would take several weeks, indeed, it took them 3 weeks). And it WAS NOT repaired. Stupid frucks ran some stupid tests and replaced my HDD (which I didn't ask for and wasn't prepared to lose), but not the keyboard....

Comparing the "premium" laptop to business laptops of Lenovo/Dell (Latitude series) - well, it's not in the same league.

Never owned HP notebook. But please, stop spreading crap about superior quality of acer.
Score
June 22, 2010 6:40:55 AM

Dilbert: Are they catching up to where they will be in a year, which is unknowable, or where they are now, which is stupid?

^_^
Score
June 22, 2010 7:33:46 AM

never owned a acer laptop before, so no comment.
but so far, all my friend who own acer laptop wont have good comment on it

Score
June 22, 2010 8:12:50 AM

HP has continued to have the least reliable laptops in every evaluation i have read. i know Acer wasn't the number one but they were far better then HP last one i read.
Score
June 22, 2010 8:53:50 AM

chickenhoagieI'm sorry to say, but acer does not make quality laptops. they're about staying cheap and *plastic-like*. Thus, selling laptops for Acer is much easier to accomplish, as most consumers don't even know what quality means, only price.

Neither does HP!

Acer makes cheap. They've got a reputation for breaking down. This is primarily because acer laptops are primarily used as cheap back-to-school systems. Those systems are victims of a very tough treatment, thus they break down from time to time.

HP makes midlevel laptops primarily. They're either built for business use (fingerprint reader, no webcam, slow harddrive etc) or light gaming/multimedia (cheap dedicated graphics, card readers and touchpads with disable buttons etc). So Acer and HP aren't actually direct competators. Anyway. Being part of the IT staff of a company with almost only HP laptops and tower systems, I can vouche for HP laptops being unreliable.
In the first half of last 2009 I had hardware problems on almost 50% of the laptops I got in. This year it's better, but not good. I'm writing this from a probook 6540b. This particular model has a habit of going in coma. To fix it you have to take it out of the docking station and remove the battery. Then wait a while, and reassemble it. In addition I've so far clicked the focus away from the comments box six times because the mousepad is situated in a way that makes my left thumbs first joint hit the mousepad when using space. And being a HP notebook for office use, it does not have a feature to turn it off.

Bottom line - I've seen so many HP laptops that I no longer consider them higher quality than acer. We had among others had acer laptops before we standardized on hp. They weren't as feature rich, but they broke down a lot less.

ps. hp towers are not of the same low quality. I've had only two visits from onsite support guys in the last 5 years! And only two systems have outright failed ; one for unknown reasons, and the other because of a wiring accident that gave the usb port 230v ac
Score
June 22, 2010 9:09:18 AM

Both Acer and HP use these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanta_Computer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wistron_Corporation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compal_Electronics

These 3 is making 75% of all notebooks manufactured in the world annually.
ASUS (mostly via Pegatron), MSI, and some others have manufacturing by themselves. HP and Acer are R&D and branding but not manufacturing. In my opinion quality by the end is depends on manufacturing. So there is not so much difference :) 
Score
June 22, 2010 10:32:39 AM

I had a Acer before.
Cheap, fast, and reliable. Until it died after 7 years of use.
Score
June 22, 2010 12:13:12 PM

Shouldn't be so hard considering the amount of DEAD HP Laptop's I have seen...

The new HP Compaq's aren't so bad... but any HP's between 2005 to 2009 DIED within a year.

If you want an HP, make sure it's a LaserJet
Score
June 22, 2010 12:27:05 PM

Well, I have an $800 HP Brick from the Nvidia graphic chipset debacle. Clearly a manufacturing defect the me and about 5 or 10 THOUSAND other people had that HP refused to fix. It was exactly the same problem that MS experienced with the XBOX (BGA sockets coming unattached due to heat/cool cycles), but HP refused to fix it (well, they would accept $400 to replace it with a board with exactly the same defect).

No more HP laptops for me.
Score
June 22, 2010 12:28:56 PM

to me, all laptop brands look the same to me.
each one had its ups and downs /\/\
Score
June 22, 2010 12:31:45 PM

ASUS FTW! Acer makes crap products, so does HP actually, but ACER is worse and somewhere at that bottom is Dell.
Score
June 22, 2010 2:22:10 PM

"In other news, Acer laptops still suck and their support is worse!"
Score
June 22, 2010 2:34:14 PM

Asus? ehh, they're not as bad as medion, but definetly not a brand I would recommend to anyone.
But to be honest I wouldn't recommend any laptop except a select few lenovo's or cheap toshiba units.
Score
June 22, 2010 2:51:31 PM

note: for about 20 years I have always built my own PC's but given that this is my first
Notebook I wasn't confident on building my first one.

U obviously have never touched a computer in your life if u think you can build a laptop
Score
June 22, 2010 3:00:50 PM

PS

Acer Sux
Score
June 22, 2010 3:10:17 PM

won't generalize on a brand. they all seem to be in the business a long time and should have sufficient knowledge on producing good products. i won't pay top $ for a laptop that will last 5 years. i still have a working laptop with a P3 cpu but do i use it now? i'll settle for one with value (good features at reasonable price) and then take good care of it.
Score
June 22, 2010 3:34:31 PM

they both build laptops for price point. if you want quality, buy an asus or lenovo. otherwise acer= hp so which ever is easier for you to swallow imo
Score
June 22, 2010 4:00:09 PM

Every Acer laptop I've had the chance to use was flimsy and felt like I was going to break it too easily. They have been able to compete on price point for overall system specs but I don't think their units currently hold up to the durability of their competition.
Score
June 22, 2010 4:34:55 PM

Using an HP Elitebook right now (work laptop) and it seems like pretty good quality. Of course it was around $3500 new (I think).
Score
June 22, 2010 5:15:49 PM

I personally love Acer. The fact that you get the same CPU, same amount of RAM, same hard disk capacity, same screen size and same features as an HP (except for the bloatware) but for a fraction of the price makes me go for Acer every single time! When you really think about it, there isn't much in a modern laptop that the maker on the sticker actually makes. For example, CPUs are made by Intel/AMD, graphics cards by nVidia/ATI, hard disks by WD/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung, displays by Samsung/LG, optical drives by Sony/Toshiba/Liteon and so on. I doubt a laptop maker actually makes more than maybe the motherboard and the case!

I have been using my acer Aspier 5920G laptop since 2007 with absolutely no problems except for a crack in the plastic where the air from the CPU fan exhausts. I didn't take it for repairs or anthing, I'm leaving it as is because the laptop still works fine. In fairness, I used to run World Community Grid software with this laptop - the program keeps both CPU cores at a constant 100% utilisation so it really puts the cooling system through its paces. CPU temperature used to peak at 92 degrees C if I play a game at the same time WCG is running, in summer.
Score
June 23, 2010 4:43:51 PM

I call intense bullshit on Mr. Wang.
Score
!