Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mx11 + starcraft 2 optimize high vs med vs ultra frames + quality?????

Last response: in Video Games
July 28, 2010 8:15:19 PM

I have an R1 alienware m11x which comes with a SU7300 core 2 duo @ 1.3(overclocked to 1.73), 335M w/ 72 sp, it's basically between a 9800 gt and a 9600 gt desktop video card.

Anyways I am running the game on ultra (Campaign mode) with 25 to 40 fps @ avg mid 30s....

My question is does any1 know how much I can put graphics down to increase frames with out it having a HUGE impact on quality and over all look?

Example does high look close enough to ultra and does it justify the frame boost to turn it down?

Thank you very much

off iPhone ignore typos :p 
July 28, 2010 8:44:47 PM

L1qu1d said:
I have an R1 alienware m11x which comes with a SU7300 core 2 duo @ 1.3(overclocked to 1.73), 335M w/ 72 sp, it's basically between a 9800 gt and a 9600 gt desktop video card.

Anyways I am running the game on ultra (Campaign mode) with 25 to 40 fps @ avg mid 30s....

My question is does any1 know how much I can put graphics down to increase frames with out it having a HUGE impact on quality and over all look?

Example does high look close enough to ultra and does it justify the frame boost to turn it down?

Thank you very much

off iPhone ignore typos :p 

Turn it down to High and find out for yourself :) . Trial and error my friend. Turn down a setting, check fps, and see what you think. If you don't like how it looks, try adjusting something else!

Good luck.

EDIT: I'm still at work right now, but when I get home ill see what sort of visual diff it makes going from Ultra to High.
Score
July 28, 2010 9:29:19 PM

Yeah I kno I can try myy self I wanted ppl's opiNion, everything can be done ourselves but like Other ppl I want ppls opinions on wat is worth loosing and wat isn't. I am just looking for an easy answer which is why I went on forums but thank u for the screenie idea there r many options I can't decide
Score
Related resources

Best solution

July 28, 2010 11:42:34 PM

High and Ultra makes a difference mainly with shadows and lighting effects I believe, and maybe some other subtle details like some more texture on terrain. With medium graphics, you get a fine looking game with out missing a ton of detail. (It doesn't look like crap). I always thought game fluidity was of the utmost importance, so if you're getting tearing or spikes with ultra, I would cut it down to high and not look back. If you're still getting problems, I wouldn't hesitate to go to medium with this game because as I said - it still looks great and fluidity is more important.
July 28, 2010 11:57:00 PM

Best answer selected by L1qu1d.
Score
July 28, 2010 11:57:39 PM

Thanks urbanbill, that's exactly the answer I was hoping and looking for. I have a hard time making decisions on what does or doesn't look good, and its great to get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks again:) 
Score
July 29, 2010 12:09:43 AM

No problem, I was happy to help. Have fun with SC2!!
Score
July 29, 2010 1:17:49 PM

Oh I will:D 
Score
December 26, 2010 4:39:25 AM

I recently bought the same notebook for a thanksgiving deal and mine has a i5 quad core. Yet when I try to run this game even on medium settings it becomes laggy and almost unbearable... does this happen to other people? it seems fishy that a newer model wouldn't be able to run the same game at an improved performance level.
Score
December 26, 2010 3:12:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!