Abit NF8 issues

dark_dregg

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
ok this is my problem:
I just got a brand new system and i was very happy. Then [-peep-] hit the fan and both my hard drives started getting corrupted files. This is what i've tried so far:
- I've tried 4 different versions of WinXP, with sp2 & w/o sp2.
-i've flashed my bios 2 times. (different bios)
-Upgraded from a 300w to a brand new 450w PSU.
-I've tried infinite amount of bios changes.
-I've formatted the comp.
-Checked for viruses
-Run total diagnostics of the hdd's
-tried switching graphics card
-tried failsafe bios settings
-swithed to a pci based ethernet card
-tried resetting the bios
-changing ide cable
-screamed alot at the system
-threatend it with a beer can
-had a bunch of them to ease the frustration of buying a $400 upgrading kit, and have it [-peep-] up my hdd's

i know all of this might not have been even remotly able to fix the system, but right now i've been trying to do anything i could think of to be able to use my system.

this is my system setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754
Abit NF8 mobo, nforce3 based (using on board audio & lan)
1 x Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL3 5ns Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V
Connect3D ATI Radeon 9600 pro 128 MB / some kind of GeForce2 Ti w/ 64 MB
Macron MPT-401 450w PSU
maxtor 120 GB hdd
ibm 80 GB HDD

pat

Expert
Are u using SATA or ATA HDD? because if you are using ATA drives, you may check that the cables you use are 80 wires and not the 40 wires. With ATA100 and 133 device, you need tem as the 40 wires will lead you to corrupt data.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

endyen

Splendid
You have a ram problem. Is the stick of ram in the slot closest to the chip. With s754 and the odmc, this is critical. Have you set vdimm at or slightly above crucial specs. Have you picked your own cas settings? Are you running by SPD?

dark_dregg

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I have now succesfully found what was wrong, and as you said it was a memory issue. But the memory was in the right slot, timings didn't matter if you had it on auto or if you set the timings manually. It was actually a faulty memory module. i don't know if i wrote it earlier, but i posted the wrong info about the memory. I have a friend who had the exact same memory model, but with 2 x 256 in his system. We swapped memory and my comp now works perfectly fine, and his system got fubar instead.. but at least i now know that the problem was ;)

Thx to everyone that have helped me with this problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dark_dregg on 01/15/05 06:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>