2.4ghz question

Shawn

I have a few X10 video cameras around my house. A few of them are right on
the edge of the reception range.
Can I make a better antenna for the receiver ? Or can I buy a better one
somewhere ?
Thanks for the help.

--
Shawn McKenna

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:41:31 -0500, "Shawn" <S.McKenna@centurytel.net>
wrote:

>I have a few X10 video cameras around my house. A few of them are right on
>the edge of the reception range.
>Can I make a better antenna for the receiver ? Or can I buy a better one
>somewhere ?

Your unspecified X10 camera mutation usually comes with what looks
like a small patch or panel antenna. It's not. It's a circuit board
with a pair of cross polarized dipoles attached. That's crude and
fairly low gain (my guess is about -2dBi including circuit board
losses). If you disconnect the coax cable, and solder on a 0.141
semi-rigid pigtail, with an SMA, TNC, or N connector on the end, you
can attach any antenna that is made for 802.11b/g which uses the same
exact frequency range. I can't recommend a specific antenna because
you didn't mention what type of coverage or range problem you are
trying to solve.

Incidentally, beware of people "war driving" for X10 cameras:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/13/1838221&mode=thread

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

graham

> I have a few X10 video cameras around my house. A few of them are right on
> the edge of the reception range.
> Can I make a better antenna for the receiver ? Or can I buy a better one
> somewhere ?
> Thanks for the help.
>
> --
> Shawn McKenna

Google "pringles cantenna"

Whatever mental picture this evokes is probably correct!

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

TRENDING THREADS