Sign in with
Your question

Lag while playing almost every game!

Last response: in Video Games
July 29, 2010 12:14:26 PM

First of all, i have to say that my English isn't good at all.I will try to tell my problem.

My system components:
3.0 ghz intel CPU (single core)
HD4650 AGP Graphic card
P4P800-E deluxe Motherboard
1.5 gb ram
500W FSP SAGA II PSU

That's all i know about my system.

I think it's not too bad for playing GTA San Andreas , Civilization 4, Sims 2 , Rise Of nations :heink:  ( When it's too crowded) , Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 etc.

When i try to play any game they usually lag and this is really annoying. What's the problem? Because of this problem i changed my PSU ( I had another psu with 350W) But nothing changed. It's still really slow and it's hard to play any game with it.

I'm waiting for your answers. Please help me.

Edit: I forgot to say that, my graphic card driver is updated.

More about : lag playing game

July 29, 2010 12:39:39 PM

First, what resolution are you playing the games at? for those specs, i don't see you running them better than 1024 x 786, or even 800 x 600! Your graphics card is still AGP, maybe a definite upgrade there, that would mean new motherboard. Try upgrading to a dual core CPU, about double the ram running at about 800 or 1066mhz! what operating system are you using? hopefully xp, i don't see the possibility of you having a newer version of windows, the more recent versions are very spec intense

i don't think that changing the psu would have helped either, i think your system with those specs had enough power, but upgrading to my recommendations would need more power!

upgrading can get costly, but this will definitely solve your problem. I do apologise for being the bearer of bad news..... for the mean time, try running the games on low visual quality, this might get rid of a few lags here and there, but i doubt it.... worth a shot though!!!

hope this helps!

Dane
m
l
July 29, 2010 12:45:08 PM

Thanks for your recommendations Dane. I'm using XP ofcourse and playing GTA san andreas with 800x600 but it's still lagging. There must be another problem here. San Andreas is really old game and old games are ok for me. I'm not trying to play Crysis . What can i do with this system to increase performance ? This is the question.

Thanks again for your help Dane.
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2010 12:55:01 PM

here's what maybe fixed my problem with GTA SA back in the day, what is the type of harddrive you're using? IDE? or SATA! i switched to SATA and games can read quicker off the harddrive!

RAM can also be a good specification to look at... the speed? look what speed you're running your RAM at in the bios, with your problem, i'm guessing at 333mhz!

you'll need at least the ram to run at 800mhz, your first upgrade there, but like i said, this might incline a motherboard upgrade!

look at these two specs.... for older games, 3.0 ghz might be enough, but your graphics card.... i don't know... still AGP???

you see, upgrading a pc leads to the vicious train reaction of events, upgrade your CPU, GPU or RAM and you'll have to upgrade on motherboard and possibly PSU!

its not always easy upgrading, but playing the newer games are so much worth it as well,

give it a shot, spend a bit of cash on these specs, and you'll see definite changes to game play!! guaranteed, and whoever tried to tell you that upgrading your psu was the problem, just wanted to make a quick buck!!!

hope this helps tam35lee,

let me know how it goes!
m
l
July 29, 2010 1:00:15 PM

Dane Bouwer said:
here's what maybe fixed my problem with GTA SA back in the day, what is the type of harddrive you're using? IDE? or SATA! i switched to SATA and games can read quicker off the harddrive!

RAM can also be a good specification to look at... the speed? look what speed you're running your RAM at in the bios, with your problem, i'm guessing at 333mhz!

you'll need at least the ram to run at 800mhz, your first upgrade there, but like i said, this might incline a motherboard upgrade!

look at these two specs.... for older games, 3.0 ghz might be enough, but your graphics card.... i don't know... still AGP???

you see, upgrading a pc leads to the vicious train reaction of events, upgrade your CPU, GPU or RAM and you'll have to upgrade on motherboard and possibly PSU!

its not always easy upgrading, but playing the newer games are so much worth it as well,

give it a shot, spend a bit of cash on these specs, and you'll see definite changes to game play!! guaranteed, and whoever tried to tell you that upgrading your psu was the problem, just wanted to make a quick buck!!!

hope this helps tam35lee,

let me know how it goes!

I dont know BIOS well but i will try these. How can i see type of my Harddrive?
m
l
July 29, 2010 1:09:10 PM

there's a safer way of looking in the bios what harddrive you're using....here's a safer way... open your case up and look at your harddrive... what cable is coming out your harddrive? is it a wide cable with many wires linked together? or is it a single cable running from your harddrive to your motherboard?
m
l
July 29, 2010 1:34:46 PM

It's wide. Is it SATA ? I opened BIOS after reading your reply. I couldn't find a thing for RAM speed. I saw these: DDR referance volt , Cpu Core Volt , AGP/PCI frequence , Cpu external Frequence (Set to 200) , Dram Frequence, Graphic aperture size etc. Most of them set "Auto" . I dont know what is their meaning so i didn't change anything. Maybe you can help me about these.

Big thanks to you for your helps Dane

Edit : And forgot to say these important things.

1) I was using Nvidia FX5200 before this graphic card and it was giving better performance when running this games.I thought it is because of PSU bottlenecking and bought new PSU.(I said it before)

2)Most important thing in games is this: When i change graphic quality to the lowest in game options it doesnt work. FPS or performance doesnt change. It's same with highest. This is really intresting.( I tried it on different games like COD 4 , Sims 2 , GTA etc.)
m
l
July 29, 2010 1:48:04 PM

your CPU frequency is normally an option for overclocking your CPU but that WON'T be a safe option due to your system and CPU being older versions! your cable is wide, meaning its IDE, which is not recommended and a possible upgrade to e newer harddrive, to SATA which means a possible motherboard upgrade

for starters, upgrade your motherboard, which can first handle SATA drives, newer CPU's and PCI (Express) Graphics cards,

it all boils down to your system being too out-of-date my friend, an upgrade is staring you in the eyes, and upgrades are pricely, but can still be within budget,

maybe upgrading to a 9800 GT, more RAM running at about 800mhz (DDR 2), your CPU should be fine for now, but Dual core is recommended!! the SATA harddrive as mentioned before, and your power supply is large enough!!

you won't be sorry!!

talk to your PC expert in your area, they will know what i'm talking about if the jargon is a bit oo much, and they will agree, just don't talk tot he same guy that sold that PSU to you, telling you that that was your problem!!!

and maybe stay away from the Bios for now, until you're more clued up about what it entails, its a bit risky playing in there if your unfamiliar with its settings!!

and its only a pleasure helping someone that says a "thank you" now and then... it is truely a pleasure!!

Dane
m
l
July 29, 2010 2:45:24 PM

Dane Bouwer said:
your CPU frequency is normally an option for overclocking your CPU but that WON'T be a safe option due to your system and CPU being older versions! your cable is wide, meaning its IDE, which is not recommended and a possible upgrade to e newer harddrive, to SATA which means a possible motherboard upgrade

for starters, upgrade your motherboard, which can first handle SATA drives, newer CPU's and PCI (Express) Graphics cards,

it all boils down to your system being too out-of-date my friend, an upgrade is staring you in the eyes, and upgrades are pricely, but can still be within budget,

maybe upgrading to a 9800 GT, more RAM running at about 800mhz (DDR 2), your CPU should be fine for now, but Dual core is recommended!! the SATA harddrive as mentioned before, and your power supply is large enough!!

you won't be sorry!!

talk to your PC expert in your area, they will know what i'm talking about if the jargon is a bit oo much, and they will agree, just don't talk tot he same guy that sold that PSU to you, telling you that that was your problem!!!

and maybe stay away from the Bios for now, until you're more clued up about what it entails, its a bit risky playing in there if your unfamiliar with its settings!!

and its only a pleasure helping someone that says a "thank you" now and then... it is truely a pleasure!!

Dane

Thank you Dane i will think about your recommendations... I understand that i'm using a trash bin as a computer :D 

m
l
July 29, 2010 3:16:14 PM

tam35lee said:
First of all, i have to say that my English isn't good at all.I will try to tell my problem.

My system components:
3.0 ghz intel CPU (single core)
HD4650 AGP Graphic card
P4P800-E deluxe Motherboard
1.5 gb ram
500W FSP SAGA II PSU

That's all i know about my system.

I think it's not too bad for playing GTA San Andreas , Civilization 4, Sims 2 , Rise Of nations :heink:  ( When it's too crowded) , Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 etc.

When i try to play any game they usually lag and this is really annoying. What's the problem? Because of this problem i changed my PSU ( I had another psu with 350W) But nothing changed. It's still really slow and it's hard to play any game with it.

I'm waiting for your answers. Please help me.

Edit: I forgot to say that, my graphic card driver is updated.

Your CPU isn't going to be able to handle those games smoothly once you have a lot of Sims/Units/Guests in your park/Civilians and cars around. Your graphics card would also need to be changed into a mid-range PCI-Express card. Your RAM is OK, but it would be better to increase it to 2GB DDR2 at the very least.

Your whole rig actually seems a bit dated. I'll give you my suggestions for a mid-range rig, in case you're looking to upgrade.

-An AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (newer, 45nm models as this is unlockable to quad if you're lucky)
-A motherboard with the proper socket for your processor (AM2, I believe) with an ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration). You'll need that to unlock the cores (if ever).
-An ATi HD5770 or nVidia GTX460.
-2GB DDR2 RAM.

Thats just my suggestions though.
m
l
July 29, 2010 4:24:12 PM

johnxfire said:
Your CPU isn't going to be able to handle those games smoothly once you have a lot of Sims/Units/Guests in your park/Civilians and cars around. Your graphics card would also need to be changed into a mid-range PCI-Express card. Your RAM is OK, but it would be better to increase it to 2GB DDR2 at the very least.

Your whole rig actually seems a bit dated. I'll give you my suggestions for a mid-range rig, in case you're looking to upgrade.

-An AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (newer, 45nm models as this is unlockable to quad if you're lucky)
-A motherboard with the proper socket for your processor (AM2, I believe) with an ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration). You'll need that to unlock the cores (if ever).
-An ATi HD5770 or nVidia GTX460.
-2GB DDR2 RAM.

Thats just my suggestions though.

But i was handling them good for example i was playing GTA San andreas with no lag altough i had FX5200 about 1 year ago...
m
l
July 30, 2010 6:28:39 AM

johnxfire, all you said i said already, but lets not get into the debate of comparing ATI to Nvidia, and AMD to Intel!!!

Tam35lee, what drivers did you say was installed for your graphics card? remember newer drivers are a bit more resource intense, i hope its not the newer versions of Nvidia, I think its the 258.97??? not 100% sure?

do you know what drivers are installed for your graphics card?

if you can tell me then maybe i have a quick solution that helps me sometimes!!! but not gauranteed!!

try installing older versions of drivers fo0r your graphics card... closing to the 150 or 160 range... if you don't know what i mean, ask and I'll explain!

lets see if this quick solution can help, because it still bothers me that you said you have the latest drivers for your graphics card, but your card is so out dated!!!

let me know what happens! >>>> www.nvidia.com (download GPU drivers >>> older version drivers)
m
l
July 30, 2010 8:32:47 AM

Dane Bouwer said:
johnxfire, all you said i said already, but lets not get into the debate of comparing ATI to Nvidia, and AMD to Intel!!!

Tam35lee, what drivers did you say was installed for your graphics card? remember newer drivers are a bit more resource intense, i hope its not the newer versions of Nvidia, I think its the 258.97??? not 100% sure?

if you can tell me then maybe i have a quick solution that helps me sometimes!!! but not gauranteed!!

try installing older versions of drivers fo0r your graphics card... closing to the 150 or 160 range... if you don't know what i mean, ask and I'll explain!

lets see if this quick solution can help, because it still bothers me that you said you have the latest drivers for your graphics card, but your card is so out dated!!!

let me know what happens! >>>> www.nvidia.com (download GPU drivers >>> older version drivers)

I have Sapphire ATI HD4650 ( Not FX5200 it was my old card) I updated it in Sapphire's Web site. Have you got any solutions for this card ? :ange:  Thanks for your reply Dane.
m
l
July 30, 2010 8:54:48 AM

quite right, my apologies tam35lee, when answering so many questions on TH, you tend to get mixed up...

well, as my recommendation stated, try downloading older driver versions for your AGP card, newer drivers tend to use the cards for unnecessary functions that your card does not support... where i got this was when you said your games ran smoothly before! but now they don't...

it can only be unnecessary driver upgrades to your card.... remember, and i'll use nvidia for an example, its no use me downloading drivers that support 3D and all that jazz, if my card is 7 years old... the card will tend to be over-used by unnecessary functions! anti-aliasing smoothers, direct X upgrades, which are unnecessary....

example: ever heard of the testing program called 3d mark '06? after any upgrade i would run my system through the test and see if the upgrade did any good.... from CPU upgrades to GPU upgrades, the results from the testing would test everything... including the drivers i'm using for my GPU!

result: I have a GTX 260 Overclocked, I'm currently using the 197.45 drivers from nvidia, and i get a score around 14500, but then i installed drivers from the 150 range and got a score around 16700, its a huge difference because older drivers are so not so resource intense if you understand...

my quick recommendation, and not 100% sure it will work, but go to ATI's website and download older drivers, install them on your pc, your pc might tell you that more recent drivers have been installed, just uninstall before installing the older driver's!

really hope this helps... because it does for me!
m
l
July 30, 2010 9:01:29 AM

Really thank you for quick reply Dane. This can be my problem because they were running more smoothly . Where can i download or use this program ? ( 3d Mark '06 ) I will write here the results after test it.

Edit : I found it on this web site. It looks like a big program ( 581 mb) Is this true?
m
l
July 30, 2010 9:12:41 AM

thats the one, from www. futuremark.com ... and to download your driver's from ATI, well I think its from www.ati.amd.com but not sure, seeming as though i've been using nvidia all my life...

first download your older versions of driver's and play the games and see if there are any changes... whats also a nifty program to use for now, before downloading 3d mark 06, is FRAPS (www.fraps.com)--- what this program does is calculate your frames per second in a game, obviously the higher the frames per second of FPS, the better!!...

so step one download your ATI older drivers and FRAPS, then before installing your older driver's, install FRAPS and run the game and play around for about a minute, keeping an eye on your fps...

step two: install your older Card drivers and uninstall the newer ones if necessary, then run your game and check if there are any changes (higher fps, or smoother gaming!!

let me know how it goes
m
l
July 30, 2010 10:35:30 AM

I found something really intresting review on Youtube. He has got Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz CPU and 1 gb ram( I have 1.5gb). He can also play Crisis(low settings), Flatout, Cod 4(with high settings) with no lag! I cant even play GTA San andreas without lag? This is really intresting. Watch this review please ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8xQ63F1WUQ
m
l
July 30, 2010 10:57:14 AM

you failed to mention what his ram spped is running at and what GPU this individual has, this will make a big difference in performance!

have you tried my recommendation yet?

if my recommendation fails to increase any performance, a definite motherboard upgrade and GPu will be necessary!!
m
l
July 30, 2010 11:12:57 AM

Dane Bouwer said:
you failed to mention what his ram spped is running at and what GPU this individual has, this will make a big difference in performance!

have you tried my recommendation yet?

if my recommendation fails to increase any performance, a definite motherboard upgrade and GPu will be necessary!!

I couldn't understand you well. I'm using same Graphic card and same CPU with him. I compared values on CPU-Z and everything was same with him.Only different thing is that, my ram is higher.I'm asking that how he can play these games with no lag?

About your recommendations, I will try them tonight. I'm not at home right now

Thanks,
m
l
July 30, 2010 1:11:49 PM

Dane Bouwer said:

@Dane Bouwer, I merely posted my advice. His computer has a single core CPU and AGP graphics card, all of which call for an upgrade.

@tam35lee, its possible he has set his resolution very low and turned off certain features in the game. If you are not seeking a hardware upgrade to improve performance and wish to stay with your current set up, I suggest opening up your computer case and check if theres dust. Use a can of compressed air to remove the dust and see if performance improves.
m
l
July 30, 2010 1:18:36 PM

johnxfire said:
@Dane Bouwer, I merely posted my advice. His computer has a single core CPU and AGP graphics card, all of which call for an upgrade.

@tam35lee, its possible he has set his resolution very low and turned off certain features in the game. If you are not seeking a hardware upgrade to improve performance and wish to stay with your current set up, I suggest opening up your computer case and check if theres dust. Use a can of compressed air to remove the dust and see if performance improves.

I will try these all when i go home. Does hair dryer work to remove dust?

Thanks
m
l
July 31, 2010 3:23:41 PM

Probably. I use a vacuum cleaner myself. XD

Good hunting, tam35lee!
m
l
August 2, 2010 1:29:37 AM

well at 800x600 it's your CPU doing the work, the 4650 AGP is a fast card for the older games as it's installed in my father in laws PC with a 2.8HT socket 478 motherboard, you also have a DDR motherboard, not DDR2 so can't change memory for better type, what you need to do is go to ATI website and download the AGP hotfix for ATI video, it is to make sure videocard is running optimum. My father in laws system had an Nvidia 6200LE and ran Vice city better then the 4650, after i installed the hot fix he was getting almost 2.5 times the framerate, went from like 25fps to 65fps average, was awesome.
m
l
August 2, 2010 6:28:37 AM

tam35lee said:
I will try these all when i go home. Does hair dryer work to remove dust?

Thanks

dust only causes heat problems the longer you play games!! and if the CPU or other components get too hot, an immediate shut down (safety requlation) will occur, I highly doubt that dust can be the reason for lack of performance.

as i'm not fmiliar with ATI, try the hotfix recommended from rattman169, this is definitely a technical problem, rather than a physical problem, your card is an older than usual model, but should still run those games pretty fine!

again, did you try FRAPS and the older drivers?

P.S. be careful using vacuum cleaners and hair dryers with pc components, due to Static electricity and motherboard component damage, trust me on this one, I thought i was giving my computer a good clean about 7 years ago, when...... well.... lets just say I needed new components!!

a can of compressed air would be better! but yet again, its not the dust! your computer doesn't have random shut downs?

anyways, let us know what the progress is so far!!
m
l
August 4, 2010 8:05:52 PM

Dane Bouwer said:
dust only causes heat problems the longer you play games!! and if the CPU or other components get too hot, an immediate shut down (safety requlation) will occur, I highly doubt that dust can be the reason for lack of performance.

as i'm not fmiliar with ATI, try the hotfix recommended from rattman169, this is definitely a technical problem, rather than a physical problem, your card is an older than usual model, but should still run those games pretty fine!

again, did you try FRAPS and the older drivers?

P.S. be careful using vacuum cleaners and hair dryers with pc components, due to Static electricity and motherboard component damage, trust me on this one, I thought i was giving my computer a good clean about 7 years ago, when...... well.... lets just say I needed new components!!

a can of compressed air would be better! but yet again, its not the dust! your computer doesn't have random shut downs?

anyways, let us know what the progress is so far!!

I have updated hotfix drivers.But nothing changed on performance. I'm really sure about that, this is a technical problem. I have still didn't tried installing older driver.I tried FRAPS with GTA san Andreas. Sometimes frame rate reduce to 10-15 . And this cause game lag...

Thank you rattman169 and Dane.
m
l
August 5, 2010 1:04:19 PM

yeah those FPS are too low, lower than usual for an older game!

try the older driver's but if that doesn't affect anything, the worst will be to upgrade!
have you thought about console gaming, it will work out better (price wise) to upgrade your rig...

but an upgrade is calling, but to only play games in that calibre, not a major upgrade! maybe just a graphics card, and a bit more RAM!

but thats all i have to offer, thats what i would recommend anyone with that problem!

Best of luck!!

Dane
m
l
!