Starcraft 2 - A Reskin?

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
I've been an RTSer most of my adult life, I've played 'em all. Heck, I've even been a Community Manager for a few of 'em (Rise of Nations, Age of Empires 3). I'd been waiting on Starcraft 2 to come out for seriously about a decade.

Now that it's out, it feels like the hype has been way overblown. Essentially and for the most part, it's just a reskin of the old Starcraft game. There's a handful of new units, one or two new features, but not really a whole lot that sets it aside as being a "2" rather than a remastered "1". I mean, it's polished to a high shine, superior quality, and very enjoyable. But I was kind've hoping for more. It's been a decade, after all.

What about you?

urbanbill

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I guess it depends how you look at it. To me, I feel that they have kept and built upon what made StarCraft and Brood War such awesome, long-lasting and balanced games.

A lot of the core units are the same, but the cool part about StarCraft are the uniqueness of the different races. In SC2 I think that they have really capitalized on the individuality of the three races, while still maintaining balance.

I played a lot of BW. If you go back and play between the two, there are definitely familiar elements, but the current product definitely feels improved enough to be a whole new game.

Per your comment, Cow, why complain about only Terran campaign? I'm thrilled they have broken this into three different installments because it's way more content for a great game. It's not like you're paying for 1/3 of a game - the Terran campaign is freaking huge. I look at it like Blizzard guaranteeing us the release of more content for an already amaznig game - For example, much better than what Square Enix has done with FF7.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

In truth, your pretty much correct. But for a lot of Starcraft fans, that's all they wanted, as well as a MASSIVE campaign to the point where they had to split it into 3 games. Its also easier to learn for the beginners, UNLIKE the original Starcraft. And the campaign/story is much more engaging. Although I was a bit surprised that for beginners, they didn't do what they did in Warcraft III and show the armor types AND what they are strong and weak against when you float over the icon of the unit. That made learning strengths and weaknesses of units easier. Sure you get a reminder every time you get a new unit through the campaign, but it was nice in Warcraft III to have a constant reminder instead of committing it to memory.