Sign in with
Your question

MSI K7T266 Pro2 with Athlon XP-Mobile 2500, died?!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2005 4:47:35 PM

Recently bought an Athlon XP-Mobile 2500 and 1GB or Corsair Value Select to upgrade w/ an old MSI K7T266 Pro2 MB. After I upgraded the BIOS, I swapped out the old 1.2G and 128MB with the new stock, but it wouldn't boot up, 4 LEDs in the back which means "Processor not istalled correctly", so I thought damn, may be it won't support an Athlon XP-M afterall, even if I underclock it. Took it out, put old proc back it, now it has 3 LEDs! "Bad Memory"! Which shouldn't happen, it's just DDR. So I took those out too and swap in the old RAM so that we're using all the old stuff again.... still 3 LEDs!! Has anyone encountered these problems before? Is the motherboard blown?!

Please help ASAP, do you think it would blew the CPU too? I'm hoping to just buy a new motherboard to rectify this issue.

Thanks.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20011126/kt266...
January 17, 2005 8:12:41 PM

At least try reseting the CMOS. Read your mobo manual if you don't. Sometimes this is necessary when switching CPU's.

Basically
1) unplug the power
2) open the case
3) jump the jumper (hehe) or remove the battery for 15 seconds
4) put the jumper back
5) plug in the power
6) Say a small prayer
7) Hit the power/start button

The loving are the daring!
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2005 1:40:20 AM

First of all, I know what you need to do in order to get your board to support newer CPU's. Second of all, you probably need to reset your BIOS to get it working with the old one again.

I encountered this problem when a customer's system had the same board as yours: It doesn't even support Thoroughbreds. Unfortunately her CPU was fried due to an improperly attached heatsink, and I had to replace it. And I couldn't find anything to replace it with, except thoroughbreds!

Now, the thing is, there's a detection circuit that has to be disabled in order to make the board not error out when encountering a .13 micron core. The easiest method to disable that circuit is to remove a resistor.

If you'd like photographs showing the location of the resistor and its removal, you'll have to give me an email address to send it to.

The modification won't fix your BIOS issue, so take care of that first, get the board running with the old CPU, and then if you're interested in modifying it for new CPU's, I can send you the photos.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 8, 2009 5:54:49 PM

Crashman said:
First of all, I know what you need to do in order to get your board to support newer CPU's. Second of all, you probably need to reset your BIOS to get it working with the old one again.

I encountered this problem when a customer's system had the same board as yours: It doesn't even support Thoroughbreds. Unfortunately her CPU was fried due to an improperly attached heatsink, and I had to replace it. And I couldn't find anything to replace it with, except thoroughbreds!

Now, the thing is, there's a detection circuit that has to be disabled in order to make the board not error out when encountering a .13 micron core. The easiest method to disable that circuit is to remove a resistor.

If you'd like photographs showing the location of the resistor and its removal, you'll have to give me an email address to send it to.

The modification won't fix your BIOS issue, so take care of that first, get the board running with the old CPU, and then if you're interested in modifying it for new CPU's, I can send you the photos.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Hi, I inserted Thoroughbred processor to my K7T266 Pro2 board and now it's dead :(  Can you send me photos to my email what resistor should I remove. martin_jur@yahoo.com Thank you.
!