new MSI motherboard: weird stuff!

menards

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
Hi, I just bought a brand new motherboard and CPU:

motherboard: MSI K8M NEO-V K8M800/DDR/agp8x/SATA/SND/LAN
CPU: AMD athlon 64 2800+ 333mhz

and it's really weird -- when I start my pc, when it's still the black screen showing those white text, it says

No disk attached

but my Windows xp loads fine.

but sometimes when I start my pc, even before it gets to the Windows loading screen, it restarts automatically! (fortunately I haven't experienced an instance wherein it restarts more than once on its own)

and it frequently prompts me for safe mode. what the?! I didn't make any hardware changes!

and sometimes when it loads windows, my display becomes windows98-like (you know, light-gray taskbar, etc) weird!

menards

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
oh, and I forgot to mention...

this happened to me twice already, (right after windows starts up) but not all the time...

a message appears:

One of your files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

then an error log appears:

username\Locals\Temp\WER384c.dir00\Mini011705-01.dmp
username\Locals\Temp\WER384c.dir00\sysdata.xml

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's no disk attached to your added-in controller, disable it in BIOS and you won't see the message.

Restarts on a system that usually enters windows could be caused by a hardware issue, such as voltage fluctuation, or a driver issue.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Registry corruption could have something to do with RAM.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tweebel on 01/18/05 01:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

menards

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
aaaah....it's the memory. Tested it with memtest and it was full of errors.

(the memory with the error is a 512MB DDR266)

though when I attached it to my old Athlon XP 1600+ rig, it works fine (yet still shows errors with memtest)

hmmmm maybe that stick of DDR266 is not compatible with my Athlon 64.

-------------------------------------------------
Athlon64 Newcastle, 2800+, 640KB Cache, 1800 MHz
MSI K8M Neo-V, VIA K8M800 + 8237 chipset
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 256MB

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Did you use <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com/" target="_new">this</A> memtest or <A HREF="http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html" target="_new">this</A> one? The latter is a Windows-based version. The other is what I think everybody is familiar with.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.