New HP Pavilion is Slow

I have a new HP Pavilion 540J, which is great in most respects, except for
one annoying problem. The response time when clicking on an icon is very
slow, much slower than my old computer that had a clock speed 1/3 as fast as
the new one. When I click on the "Show Desktop" icon in the system tray,
for example, it takes at least five to eight seconds to respond. On my old
computer it was nearly instantaneous. The same is true for icons on the
Start menu or desktop. Do others have this problem with HP computers? I'm
not sure if it's a hardware problem, a Windows problem, a mouse problem,
etc. Any way to speed things up?
2 answers Last reply
More about pavilion slow

    Bob wrote:
    > I have a new HP Pavilion 540J, which is great in most respects,
    > except for one annoying problem. The response time when clicking on
    > an icon is very slow, much slower than my old computer that had a
    > clock speed 1/3 as fast as the new one. When I click on the "Show
    > Desktop" icon in the system tray, for example, it takes at least five
    > to eight seconds to respond. On my old computer it was nearly
    > instantaneous. The same is true for icons on the Start menu or
    > desktop. Do others have this problem with HP computers? I'm not
    > sure if it's a hardware problem, a Windows problem, a mouse problem,
    > etc. Any way to speed things up?

    On an new computer, you need to run disk cleanup, defrag, check startup
    applications, and eliminate some of the computer visual effects. Check
    this site for information: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

    Also, the amount of system memory is a major factor. Windows XP chokes if the
    memory is less than 256MB. It only gags, belches and vomits with a mere 256MB.
    512MB is a practical minimum for XP and other bloatware these days, no matter
    what Microsoft's propaganda machine may say... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:12:13 -0700, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

    >Bob wrote:
    >> I have a new HP Pavilion 540J, which is great in most respects,
    >> except for one annoying problem. The response time when clicking on
    >> an icon is very slow, much slower than my old computer that had a
    >> clock speed 1/3 as fast as the new one. When I click on the "Show
    >> Desktop" icon in the system tray, for example, it takes at least five
    >> to eight seconds to respond. On my old computer it was nearly
    >> instantaneous. The same is true for icons on the Start menu or
    >> desktop. Do others have this problem with HP computers? I'm not
    >> sure if it's a hardware problem, a Windows problem, a mouse problem,
    >> etc. Any way to speed things up?
    >
    >On an new computer, you need to run disk cleanup, defrag, check startup
    >applications, and eliminate some of the computer visual effects. Check
    >this site for information: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

Hewlett Packard HP Pavilion Computers