How to block private status incoming calls

Last response: in Network Providers
August 21, 2004 2:23:13 AM

Anyone know how to do this?? I know how to keep my number from appearing on
the phone I am calling, but is there anyway to block incoming calls marked
private?? By this I mean that they would get a message stating I do not
accept calls marked private plz turn off the private status and call again.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:23:14 AM

"Chuck Drake" <drakechuck@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to do this?? I know how to keep my number from appearing
on
> the phone I am calling, but is there anyway to block incoming calls marked
> private?? By this I mean that they would get a message stating I do not
> accept calls marked private plz turn off the private status and call
again.

The only way to block them is to not answer them.
August 24, 2004 10:43:13 PM

"Chuck Drake" <drakechuck@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to do this?? I know how to keep my number from appearing
on
> the phone I am calling, but is there anyway to block incoming calls marked
> private?? By this I mean that they would get a message stating I do not
> accept calls marked private plz turn off the private status and call
again.

I emailed customer service that same question a week ago there response was
sorry you can't do that.
Seems to work fine on my land line though.

August 24, 2004 10:54:43 PM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:23:13 GMT, "Chuck Drake"
<drakechuck@insightbb.com> wrote:

>Anyone know how to do this?? I know how to keep my number from appearing on
>the phone I am calling, but is there anyway to block incoming calls marked
>private?? By this I mean that they would get a message stating I do not
>accept calls marked private plz turn off the private status and call again.

It's by no means fool proof, but it works for me.

I only give out my main home phone number. I have Call Forward No
Answer and Call Forward Busy Line on my line, as well as Anonymous
Call Reject. All calls ring here at the house, which allows ACR to
filter out the Private calls, but will still allow the ocassional
Unavailable call to come through. I just let VM take care of those.

If I don't want someone's call to ring through to my cell, I give them
one of my Ring Master numbers. Calls to htose numbers will get go to
my answering machine at home or will ring busy, but will never forward
to the cell, as calls to my main number will do.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 10:54:44 PM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:23:13 GMT, "Chuck Drake"
> <drakechuck@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone know how to do this?? I know how to keep my number from
>> appearing on the phone I am calling, but is there anyway to block
>> incoming calls marked private?? By this I mean that they would get a
>> message stating I do not accept calls marked private plz turn off
>> the private status and call again.
>>

> It's by no means fool proof, but it works for me.
>
> I only give out my main home phone number. I have Call Forward No
> Answer and Call Forward Busy Line on my line, as well as Anonymous
> Call Reject. All calls ring here at the house, which allows ACR to
> filter out the Private calls, but will still allow the ocassional
> Unavailable call to come through. I just let VM take care of those.
>
> If I don't want someone's call to ring through to my cell, I give them
> one of my Ring Master numbers. Calls to htose numbers will get go to
> my answering machine at home or will ring busy, but will never forward
> to the cell, as calls to my main number will do.

I think it's been 2 years or more now with PacBell (SBC) that
I've had ACR. On the features part of the bill they charge for
it and on the credits part of the bill they credit it back -- my
switch doesn't support it...yet. You would think that in San Jose
they would have gotten around to upgrading the switch?

-Quick
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 12:06:51 AM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:03:37 -0700, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I think it's been 2 years or more now with PacBell (SBC) that
>I've had ACR. On the features part of the bill they charge for
>it and on the credits part of the bill they credit it back -- my
>switch doesn't support it...yet. You would think that in San Jose
>they would have gotten around to upgrading the switch?

I've had BellSouth's Complete Choice package (which includes almost
all of their features, except for VM) for almost 10 years now, and
this is on a switch that didn't even support touch tone until 1982.
I'd say BS has done some upgrading in the last 20 years.:-)
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 7:03:13 AM

> Anyone know how to do this??

This is not really blocking, but it works. I set the ringer for anonymous
calls to a unique song in my LG 4400. When that song rings, I send it to
voice mail by pressing the outside button. If it was important, I receive a
voice mail in a minute. If not, no biggie.
reply address bot resistant and human safe
August 25, 2004 2:34:09 PM

"Ralph" <ralphd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Chuck Drake" <drakechuck@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to do this?? I know how to keep my number from
appearing
> on
> > the phone I am calling, but is there anyway to block incoming
calls marked
> > private?? By this I mean that they would get a message stating I
do not
> > accept calls marked private plz turn off the private status and
call
> again.
>

> I emailed customer service that same question a week ago there
response was
> sorry you can't do that.
> Seems to work fine on my land line though.

If it is anything like the regular telephone option I think it is *77
which makes the caller receive a message of " This party does not
accept private calls. Please press *82 and then the number to reach
this party" You do however have to have it active on your telephone
account.

Elector
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 1:23:38 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:34:09 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>If it is anything like the regular telephone option I think it is *77
>which makes the caller receive a message of " This party does not
>accept private calls.

I tried calling *77 and I got a message saying the number "cannot be
completed with your personalized service plan." I called VZW CS and
asked if ACR was available. The CSR said it wasn't and that she
looked and didn't see where they have *77 dedicated for any purpose in
their system.

Someone (maybe Product Marketing & Development) must have activated it
for some future use, else I would not have received that particular
message. Maybe ACR is going to be available soon. FWIW, she said it
was one of the most requested services to be added.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 1:24:05 AM

>> If it is anything like the regular telephone option I think it is *77
>> which makes the caller receive a message of " This party does not
>> accept private calls.

I solve that by having a silent ringtone for anonymous calls.

Roger
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:16:38 PM

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:34:09 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
>>If it is anything like the regular telephone option I think it is *77
>>which makes the caller receive a message of " This party does not
>>accept private calls.
>
> I tried calling *77 and I got a message saying the number "cannot be
> completed with your personalized service plan." I called VZW CS and
> asked if ACR was available. The CSR said it wasn't and that she
> looked and didn't see where they have *77 dedicated for any purpose in
> their system.
>
> Someone (maybe Product Marketing & Development) must have activated it
> for some future use, else I would not have received that particular
> message. Maybe ACR is going to be available soon. FWIW, she said it
> was one of the most requested services to be added.

I have the service on my home phone. Not my cellular. My point was that
Verizon Wireless can or could have the same function on the cellular as they
do on the home users if they wanted.

Elector
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 9:03:02 PM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:16:38 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>I have the service on my home phone. Not my cellular. My point was that
>Verizon Wireless can or could have the same function on the cellular as they
>do on the home users if they wanted.

At any rate, your point proved productive. It proved the code has
been reserved (damn what the CSR's are being told), and ACR could very
well be on the HZN for VZW.;-)
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 3:06:34 PM

OK - how do you set silent ringtones for anonymous calls? I have a
Motorola V120E and would like to know how to do this.

Chris

Roger Binns wrote:

>>>If it is anything like the regular telephone option I think it is *77
>>>which makes the caller receive a message of " This party does not
>>>accept private calls.
>

> I solve that by having a silent ringtone for anonymous calls.
>
> Roger

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 7:55:03 PM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:06:34 GMT, USENET READER
<usenetreader.biteme@earthlink.biteme.net> chose to add this to the great
equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>> I solve that by having a silent ringtone for anonymous calls.
>>
>OK - how do you set silent ringtones for anonymous calls? I have a
>Motorola V120E and would like to know how to do this.

Acquire or make an mp3 file of one second of total silence. Use
Bitpim and a data cable to upload it to the phone. Set it as the ringer for
anonymous calls.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I'm afraid of everybody. I'm afraid of you. I'm afraid of most people. I
always have been. Afraid of my friends, Afraid people won't like me. She's
the only person I've ever met -- outside of my family -- who I wasn't
afraid of." - Billy Bob Thornton telling a Washington Post reporter about
his relationship with his wife, Angeline Jolie
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 2:34:43 PM

David S wrote:
> Acquire or make an mp3 file of one second of total silence. Use
> Bitpim and a data cable to upload it to the phone. Set it as the
> ringer for anonymous calls.

In my case I have a midi of silence :-) Same effect and works
on more phones. If anyone wants it, send me email.

Roger
!