External Power Control

hipbemovin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
I knew I made a mistake when I built my sister a new PC! Here's her question. Can we install "something" that will turn off external devices (monitor, printer, or a power strip) when the PC is shut down or goes into hibernate mode with Windows XP? Can a MOBO or some other additional device do this? I have no clue. Thanks.

IMHO, the easiest solution would be the power strip. Shut down the computer and then hit the power switch on the strip.

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

hipbemovin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
When the PC goes into hibernate mode, no one is around to turn off the power strip. That is the crux of the problem. What I need is a triggering mechanism of some sort.

I don't know of anything that will turn everything off when the comp goes into hibernate. How about putting the auxiliaries on a separate power strip and last person on the PC turns off that power strip when they're done.

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

hipbemovin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Someone from Microsoft replied separately and said there is no way to get WIndows to alert a relay when it is shutting down. Thanks to all.

pat

Expert
On my computer, when my computer goes of... then the screen go to stanby mode.the printer goes to standby mode and my scanner goes to standby mode...

By going standby, the component just keep a minimun system working to detect the start signal from the computer then start the whole system. it is like a electronic switch. consume little power.

So, unless you have good reason to completely turn them off, I would just leave them going standby.

Oh, by the way, what mistake did you do???

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

hipbemovin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Yes, the mistake I made was building the PC for my sister, who thinks that means I know everything about the PC world.