New Backdoor Trojan Nukes Windows Boot Process

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a more serious threat... usually virus are not that harmful even if they are really annoying.

I will start to fear when they will attack my motherboard Bios... until then, AVG is doing the job.

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]fix = fdisk /mbr[/citation]

Not necessarily accurate. If the system is still infected, repairing/replacing the mbr won't matter as when you boot back into windows it could just reinfect your system again.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Like red said, a virus is a virus, no matter how you put it. They all basically do the same thing - mess with your copy of Windows, not going any deeper than the Hard Disk. Until the day comes when someone finds a way to get past the HDD/Software level and truly embed a virus into the RAM or Bios, I'm perfectly happy. Besides, you shouldn't really have to worry as long as you're not doing anything illegal or watching pr0n and the like.

G

@redgarl
I do believe a while back there was a virus that did exactly that. It was early on when mobo makers started using flash to store the BIOS. Now days, they have a removable chip that you can replace (or high end systems with two separate copies of the BIOS) in the event that you flash improperly, or heaven forbid, another nefarious virus figures out a good way to wipe it out on you.
Back then, the virus basically shelled your mobo and you had to get a new one.

Google the CIH Virus

mothandras

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]fix = fdisk /mbr[/citation]

not to mention formating your MBR would sacrifice your OS settings.. thus making you reinstall your OS.

aeiouy

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
fix = fdisk /mbr

Not necessarily accurate. If the system is still infected, repairing/replacing the mbr won't matter as when you boot back into windows it could just reinfect your system again.

True, but that would at least let you run an antivirus program and find the dll. That avoids having to wipe your drive and lose everything.

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
So pull the drive, scan on another system, boot into recovery console after virus is removed, boot to recovery console, bootcfg /rebuild, fixmbr, reboot.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
No need for that, boot from a rescue disc such as ubcd 4 win. Also, fdisk command may not be necessary. I think if you boot from a Vista or Win7 disc, that it can detect and fix things like that correct?

psyic

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Mitch's solution is really the most elaborate and correct way to do it. I would advise another scan after those steps in safe mode within the machine, perhaps with MBAM.

All fdisk /mbr would do is clear the mbr (more or less), not really do anything directly relating to fixing it.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
It sucks how Windows, having one of the largest market shares of Operating Systems, is always under constant attack.

When UEFI comes out, if a virus was to take over THAT firmware then your computer would be screwed, could do almost anything!

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
next thing you know they'll have viruses that are stored in the capacitors of ur power supply and cause a mass overload, shortening the circuit in ur wall which will in turn make ur electricity go out in the house. Hell, pretty soon they'll find a way to give ur computer AIDS.

/kill C Drive

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I thought Win 7 was meant to be uber secure, with permissions to install stuff and such? This sounds like the bad old days again, when will they learn and implement tighter security?

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]I thought Win 7 was meant to be uber secure, with permissions to install stuff and such? This sounds like the bad old days again, when will they learn and implement tighter security?[/citation]

Are you the CEO of lifelock?

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]mothandras[/nom]not to mention formating your MBR would sacrifice your OS settings.. thus making you reinstall your OS.[/citation]

Formatting your MBR does not sacrifice your OS settings in any way.

Diabolical User

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
[citation][nom]MitchMeister-[/nom]So pull the drive, scan on another system, boot into recovery console after virus is removed, boot to recovery console, bootcfg /rebuild, fixmbr, reboot.[/citation]

Another alternative would comprise of loading a pre-installed environment via disc/flash drive, then running a virus scan from there.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]diabolical user[/nom]Another alternative would comprise of loading a pre-installed environment via disc/flash drive, then running a virus scan from there.[/citation]

Preferably the newest Windows PE where you can run the recovery console right after.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]This is a more serious threat... usually virus are not that harmful even if they are really annoying.I will start to fear when they will attack my motherboard Bios... until then, AVG is doing the job.[/citation]
Theres one out there. i lost a desktop motherboard to it luckily it was a junk computer

Status
Not open for further replies.