Simpleton

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
I have a new ASUS K8N and an Athlon 64 3000+ and I will like to know (I am actually assembling my first computer) what is the ideal boot up sequence at the time to set up BIOS settings
for a faster computer boot up.

I have one Hard drive. Two optical drives. No floppy drive...besides the other elemental devices (KVM) very simple system.

Does the BIOS detects automatically the onboard devices and sets the sequence automatically in an optimal way?...or I have to optimize it.

Thanks guys.

Most boards are set to "AUTO" on cpu,memory,hard drive, etc. And the computer will boot and run at these settings.
---You will need to set the jumpers on your hard drive,cd/dvd/drives.

Although it will boot at default settings, it will not perform at optimum levels. You will need to adjust things like memory timings,AGP settings ETC...

You may have to Enable something but most onboard devices are enabled by default. You will have to load drivers for your chipset and all other devices. But that is after you install your operating system.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 01/19/05 08:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most drives will be configured for automatic master/slave setting via the "cable select" option. This doesn't always work right, but more importantly, requires you to have the master on the end of the cable and the slave in the middle.

Western Digital drives use a different setting for Single than for Master with Slave on the same cable.

I'd use the master/slave jumper configuration. Make sure you put the hard drive on the primary controller and the other drives can go on the secondary controller.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>