Windows System Error

barrada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Hi. I have encountered a problem with a couple of PC's I've been given to fix. They won't boot and display the error 'file windows/system is corrupt' If I reinstall Windows it works fine for a while then after a week or so bang - the same problem. I've swopped out the main components - memory, mainboard graphics etc but this keeps comin back. Anyone any thoughts what the main cause of this might be? You can get all my contact details at www.barrada.co.uk thx Paul

thistownsucksnj

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
sounds like the hard drive to me. Many manufacturers have drive fitness tests that you can use to determine whether or no a drive has bad areas. If it even has one area that needs to be repaired I wouldn't trust an O\S on it. generally hard drives are built to last about 5 years... sometimes a lack of ram can cut the life span of the drive because of all the constant page filing.

Also newer hard drives require more ventilation than older ones did, a lack of breathing room could kill a hard drive almost overnight.

Last but not least is the ammount of protection the system has when it is operational. Without an up to date virus scan and a decent adware scan utility most computers don't last more than a few months with internet security threats at their current level.