Refilling laser cartridges?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Greetings,
What are the potential problems with refilling laser cartridges?
I recently priced a 92295A cart & was amazed at some of the
local prices.
<regards>
-het

--
"Anyone who consider arithmetic means of producing random number is,
of course, in a state of sin" - John Von Neumann

Computer Links: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/clinks.html
H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/
6 answers Last reply
More about refilling laser cartridges
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I did a quick search of ebay.New 92295A cartridges are as low as $12.99.
    "H. E. Taylor" <het@despam.autobahn.mb.ca> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > What are the potential problems with refilling laser cartridges?
    > I recently priced a 92295A cart & was amazed at some of the
    > local prices.
    > <regards>
    > -het
    >
    > --
    > "Anyone who consider arithmetic means of producing random number is,
    > of course, in a state of sin" - John Von Neumann
    >
    > Computer Links: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/clinks.html
    > H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I have been refilling my HP 1200 with GREAT success. I get at least 3
    refill per cartridge. I use www.tonerrefillkits.com

    You will save a TON of money. Just be as careful, avoid breathing this
    superfine powder, and also not spilling it. If you are over 15 years old &
    have played any game that requires a bit of concentration & coordination you
    will do fine!

    I refill ink & toner, I have never, never had a problem, other then getting
    ink on my hands occasionally, but I laugh all the way to the bank.

    "H. E. Taylor" <het@despam.autobahn.mb.ca> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > What are the potential problems with refilling laser cartridges?
    > I recently priced a 92295A cart & was amazed at some of the
    > local prices.
    > <regards>
    > -het
    >
    > --
    > "Anyone who consider arithmetic means of producing random number is,
    > of course, in a state of sin" - John Von Neumann
    >
    > Computer Links: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/clinks.html
    > H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Leave refilling to the professionals. They also recondition the cartridges,
    replace worn plastic parts, and manage to get all the toner into the cartridges
    without spillage. At least, that's what the best ones do. Refilled cartridges
    from a reputable supplier are the best bargain around. I stocked some refilled
    LJ5 cartridges from an eBay seller a few months ago at a little over 20 bucks
    (US) apiece. The two I've used so far are just fine... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:18:03 -0800, "H. E. Taylor" <het@despam.autobahn.mb.ca>
    wrote:

    >Greetings,
    > What are the potential problems with refilling laser cartridges?
    > I recently priced a 92295A cart & was amazed at some of the
    > local prices.
    ><regards>
    >-het
    >
    >--
    >"Anyone who consider arithmetic means of producing random number is,
    > of course, in a state of sin" - John Von Neumann
    >
    >Computer Links: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/clinks.html
    >H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In message <41e84c89.11079863@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers
    <ben_myers_spam_me_not@charter.net> writes

    >Leave refilling to the professionals.

    Tosh.

    I refill my HPLJ4M+ carts about 4 or 5 times before the quality
    degrades.

    > They also recondition the cartridges,
    >replace worn plastic parts,

    Probably not necessary.

    > and manage to get all the toner into the cartridges
    >without spillage.

    Well, that's not so hard, and nor is it so bad to clean up if you do
    spill a bit.

    > At least, that's what the best ones do. Refilled cartridges
    >from a reputable supplier are the best bargain around.

    Measured how ?

    > I stocked some refilled
    >LJ5 cartridges from an eBay seller a few months ago at a little over 20 bucks
    >(US) apiece. The two I've used so far are just fine.

    Maybe, but have you actually tried (and failed ?) to refill your own ?

    Seems to me that before you rubbish the idea you ought to try it.

    If you had tried it, you'd know that you don't have to be a
    "professional".

    What's more, you can get the cart really full if you refill it yourself
    !

    Cheers, J/.
    --
    John Beardmore
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    To each his own. At $US 20 each, I'll let others do it and spend my time
    otherwise... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:11:59 +0000, John Beardmore <wookie@wookie.demon.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >In message <41e84c89.11079863@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers
    ><ben_myers_spam_me_not@charter.net> writes
    >
    >>Leave refilling to the professionals.
    >
    >Tosh.
    >
    >I refill my HPLJ4M+ carts about 4 or 5 times before the quality
    >degrades.
    >

    >> They also recondition the cartridges,
    >>replace worn plastic parts,
    >
    >Probably not necessary.
    >

    >> and manage to get all the toner into the cartridges
    >>without spillage.
    >
    >Well, that's not so hard, and nor is it so bad to clean up if you do
    >spill a bit.
    >

    >> At least, that's what the best ones do. Refilled cartridges
    >>from a reputable supplier are the best bargain around.
    >
    >Measured how ?
    >

    >> I stocked some refilled
    >>LJ5 cartridges from an eBay seller a few months ago at a little over 20 bucks
    >>(US) apiece. The two I've used so far are just fine.
    >
    >Maybe, but have you actually tried (and failed ?) to refill your own ?
    >
    >Seems to me that before you rubbish the idea you ought to try it.
    >
    >If you had tried it, you'd know that you don't have to be a
    >"professional".
    >
    >What's more, you can get the cart really full if you refill it yourself
    >!
    >

    >Cheers, J/.
    >--
    >John Beardmore
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Several things to consider. Buying on ebay is a pig in a poke. You may
    get nothing at all, a brick, or some useless (wrong type) or even
    cartridges which could damage other parts of the printer (due to wrong
    toner type used). You also have to find them, wait for the transaction
    to complete and pay postage on them (laser cartridges can be heavy).

    Many laser cartridges are easy to refill, and cheaper to do than buying
    refilled.

    Both methods have their good and bad points.

    Art

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > To each his own. At $US 20 each, I'll let others do it and spend my time
    > otherwise... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:11:59 +0000, John Beardmore <wookie@wookie.demon.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>In message <41e84c89.11079863@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers
    >><ben_myers_spam_me_not@charter.net> writes
    >>

    >>>Leave refilling to the professionals.
    >>
    >>Tosh.
    >>
    >>I refill my HPLJ4M+ carts about 4 or 5 times before the quality
    >>degrades.
    >>

    >>> They also recondition the cartridges,
    >>>replace worn plastic parts,
    >>
    >>Probably not necessary.
    >>

    >>>and manage to get all the toner into the cartridges
    >>>without spillage.
    >>
    >>Well, that's not so hard, and nor is it so bad to clean up if you do
    >>spill a bit.
    >>

    >>> At least, that's what the best ones do. Refilled cartridges
    >>
    >>>from a reputable supplier are the best bargain around.
    >>
    >>Measured how ?
    >>

    >>> I stocked some refilled
    >>>LJ5 cartridges from an eBay seller a few months ago at a little over 20 bucks
    >>>(US) apiece. The two I've used so far are just fine.
    >>
    >>Maybe, but have you actually tried (and failed ?) to refill your own ?
    >>
    >>Seems to me that before you rubbish the idea you ought to try it.
    >>
    >>If you had tried it, you'd know that you don't have to be a
    >>"professional".
    >>
    >>What's more, you can get the cart really full if you refill it yourself
    >>!
    >>

    >>Cheers, J/.
    >>--
    >>John Beardmore

Hewlett Packard Hardware Printers Computers