Wireless Network setup (up to 10x pcs)

I'm in the process of setting up 10x pcs to work in an office. The client
wants to use his private phone line to connect an ADSL wireless modem\router
along with wireless PCI cards installed in each of the pcs.

My question is, would he need just 1x ADSL filter if the phone line is an
independent line and secondly, is this the best option to take for a simple
wireless setup.

My client also wants to hook up 3x printers to use on the network, am I
right in saying if these are hardwired to 3x different pcs, can they be
shared with the other pcs when the network is set up.

TIA

John
10 answers Last reply
More about wireless network setup

    In article <ZHEed.9681$i02.8428@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    John \"O\" <itsme@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    :I'm in the process of setting up 10x pcs to work in an office. The client
    :wants to use his private phone line to connect an ADSL wireless modem\router
    :along with wireless PCI cards installed in each of the pcs.

    :My question is, would he need just 1x ADSL filter if the phone line is an
    :independent line

    He will need an ADSL filter for all extensions to the line that are
    -not- plugged into the ADSL router.

    :and secondly, is this the best option to take for a simple
    :wireless setup.

    Best?? It should function, but "best" is an entirely subjective term.

    You aren't telling us anything about internal obstructions in the
    office, or about 2.4 GHz wireless phones, or about the presence
    of microwave ovens, or about the size of the office, or about the
    amount of metal shelving or books (or other paper) in the office.

    :My client also wants to hook up 3x printers to use on the network, am I
    :right in saying if these are hardwired to 3x different pcs, can they be
    :shared with the other pcs when the network is set up.

    Not necessarily. Depends on the version of MS Windows, depends on
    the printer make and model. The drivers for some models assume
    that you are on a system -directly- connected to the printer,
    and don't let you install the drivers on other systems. Printing
    would then become a matter of having to transfer the document
    to the PC that had the printer, and remotely controlling (e.g.,
    via VNC) the PC to launch the appropriate program, read the
    document in, tell the program to print the document...

    If the printers use Postscript or one of the HPCL printer control
    languages, then you can probably print remotely no matter what
    the device -- but if the printer uses a proprietary internal
    language and is connected by USB, consider yourself fortunate
    if you are able to use it remotely.

    One thing you should beware with printer sharing is that it is
    layered on top of NETBIOS, and with NETBIOS you can't ever be
    sure that all the devices will be able to see each other.
    And being able to see another device is not transitive: the machine
    with the printer might be able to browse the PC with the
    file without difficulty, but the PC with the file might be
    adamant that the PC with the printer does nto exist.

    When you are using several PCs with NETBIOS, it is usually a good
    idea to dedicate at least one never-turned-off system to be the
    Primary Domain Controller (PDC), and perhaps even run a WINS server
    on it. Don't just count on the PCs electing a PDC amongst themselves:
    even Microsoft themselves say that you can never be sure which
    machine will be elected even though the algorithm is supposedly
    fixed and deterministic.
    --
    Contents: 100% recycled post-consumer statements.

    What speed of ADSL does he have. 10 pcs sharing a 512mbs download will give
    them about 5mbs bandwith each.
    10 pcs sharing a 54mbs with an actual throughput of about 22mbs wll give
    them about 2.2mbs each. If you run security or have interference it will be
    less than that. In this case, the client might be happier with 2 APs.
    5 pcs sharing 2 AP would give each an aprox bandwith of 4mbs which is more
    in line with the ADSL throughput Of course if they are not going to be using
    the web alot, then 1 AP will probably do.
    As far as the printers go, you can get like a netgear wireless print server
    for about 100 bucks or so that support 2 USB printers.

    "Walter Roberson" <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
    > In article <ZHEed.9681$i02.8428@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    > John \"O\" <itsme@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    > :I'm in the process of setting up 10x pcs to work in an office. The client
    > :wants to use his private phone line to connect an ADSL wireless
    modem\router
    > :along with wireless PCI cards installed in each of the pcs.
    >
    > :My question is, would he need just 1x ADSL filter if the phone line is an
    > :independent line

    From what I understand there is a main switchboard but my client informs me
    that there is a independant line available, if this is the case would it be
    only the one ADSL filter required ??

    > He will need an ADSL filter for all extensions to the line that are
    > -not- plugged into the ADSL router.
    >
    > :and secondly, is this the best option to take for a simple
    > :wireless setup.
    >
    > Best?? It should function, but "best" is an entirely subjective term.
    >
    > You aren't telling us anything about internal obstructions in the
    > office, or about 2.4 GHz wireless phones, or about the presence
    > of microwave ovens, or about the size of the office, or about the
    > amount of metal shelving or books (or other paper) in the office.

    There are no wireless phones, all are hard wired & this is for a dental
    surgergy to which all 5x surgerys are within 30mtrs (40 mtrs max) of each
    other and all on one floor. The structure of the building is mainly
    plasterboard partioning so I don't think there'll be a problem with the
    wireless setup. There's only one small kitchen and unsure if a microware is
    installed.

    > :My client also wants to hook up 3x printers to use on the network, am I
    > :right in saying if these are hardwired to 3x different pcs, can they be
    > :shared with the other pcs when the network is set up.
    >
    > Not necessarily. Depends on the version of MS Windows, depends on
    > the printer make and model. The drivers for some models assume
    > that you are on a system -directly- connected to the printer,
    > and don't let you install the drivers on other systems. Printing
    > would then become a matter of having to transfer the document
    > to the PC that had the printer, and remotely controlling (e.g.,
    > via VNC) the PC to launch the appropriate program, read the
    > document in, tell the program to print the document...

    I'll be using MS Windows professional on all computers and have in fact been
    looking at a wireless ADSL modem\router with a built in print server..this
    will be the option I'll most likely take to prevent any mishaps.

    > If the printers use Postscript or one of the HPCL printer control
    > languages, then you can probably print remotely no matter what
    > the device -- but if the printer uses a proprietary internal
    > language and is connected by USB, consider yourself fortunate
    > if you are able to use it remotely.

    The printers are not yet purchased so are you able to advise me on a brand
    or models which are good for networking.

    > One thing you should beware with printer sharing is that it is
    > layered on top of NETBIOS, and with NETBIOS you can't ever be
    > sure that all the devices will be able to see each other.
    > And being able to see another device is not transitive: the machine
    > with the printer might be able to browse the PC with the
    > file without difficulty, but the PC with the file might be
    > adamant that the PC with the printer does nto exist.
    >
    > When you are using several PCs with NETBIOS, it is usually a good
    > idea to dedicate at least one never-turned-off system to be the
    > Primary Domain Controller (PDC), and perhaps even run a WINS server
    > on it. Don't just count on the PCs electing a PDC amongst themselves:
    > even Microsoft themselves say that you can never be sure which
    > machine will be elected even though the algorithm is supposedly
    > fixed and deterministic.

    With my comment above regading obtaining a print server, would this over
    come this problem ??

    and finally many thanks for your comments....very much appriciated.

    "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message

    > What speed of ADSL does he have. 10 pcs sharing a 512mbs download will
    give
    > them about 5mbs bandwith each.

    I'm planning to have the 1Mbs service installed, having said that not all
    the computer are being used for Internet use, the main use is to play dental
    software through the computers for clients and to capture images with
    digital cameras etc. The internet will only be used in a small basis as well
    as sharing the printers wireless.

    > 10 pcs sharing a 54mbs with an actual throughput of about 22mbs wll give
    > them about 2.2mbs each. If you run security or have interference it will
    be
    > less than that. In this case, the client might be happier with 2 APs.
    > 5 pcs sharing 2 AP would give each an aprox bandwith of 4mbs which is more
    > in line with the ADSL throughput Of course if they are not going to be
    using
    > the web alot, then 1 AP will probably do.
    > As far as the printers go, you can get like a netgear wireless print
    server
    > for about 100 bucks or so that support 2 USB printers.

    I'm gonna go for a ADSL Modem\router with a built in print server so fingers
    crossed.

    Airhead wrote:
    > What speed of ADSL does he have. 10 pcs sharing a 512mbs download will give
    > them about 5mbs bandwith each.
    > 10 pcs sharing a 54mbs with an actual throughput of about 22mbs wll give
    > them about 2.2mbs each. If you run security or have interference it will be
    > less than that. In this case, the client might be happier with 2 APs.
    > 5 pcs sharing 2 AP would give each an aprox bandwith of 4mbs which is more
    > in line with the ADSL throughput Of course if they are not going to be using
    > the web alot, then 1 AP will probably do.
    The ISP will likely limit the mumber of actual connections that you can
    have any one time. A frequent number is three.

    The bandwidth could likely be a minor issue.

    Consider what each pc will be doing. Will each actually use much
    internet access?

    With 10 pcs, this will take a commercial router, not your standard 4
    port home model.

    > As far as the printers go, you can get like a netgear wireless print server
    > for about 100 bucks or so that support 2 USB printers.

    I have mixed shared printers with both XP and 98SE computers with no
    trouble except from the firewall program. There you have to "allow"
    computers on your intranet by address or MAC.

    John "O" wrote:
    > I'm in the process of setting up 10x pcs to work in an office. The client
    > wants to use his private phone line to connect an ADSL wireless modem\router
    > along with wireless PCI cards installed in each of the pcs.

    Depending on what type of setup you client is trying to accomplish, WiFi
    could be great, or lame. If the office has a file server AND folks use
    it *alot*, the wireless network will be s-l-o-w. A 100Mbs netcard
    usually can tx/rx at about 75Mbs and in the filesharing world a lowly
    PIII 500 could keep the network filled to the brim. If you are only
    using the network to surf, WiFi will shine as the connection speeds are
    much faster than the DSL connection. I don't know what part of the
    country you are in, but here in rainy cold Washington the typical DSL
    slow connection is 768/256 in which a 11M ( 802.11b ) connection will
    run circles.

    > My question is, would he need just 1x ADSL filter if the phone line is an
    > independent line and secondly, is this the best option to take for a simple
    > wireless setup.

    I install most DSL connections at DeMark. You then can split off the
    DSL before the phone system and put in a filter between the phone system
    and the DSL modem. Ok, so I assumed that there is a phone system as you
    did say the they have 10PC's? If no phone system, put the DSL
    splitter/filter before the building wiring saving you having to put
    filters on all of the phones.

    > My client also wants to hook up 3x printers to use on the network, am I
    > right in saying if these are hardwired to 3x different pcs, can they be
    > shared with the other pcs when the network is set up.

    PCL and PS printers are network hogs. Luckly most users print one or
    two pages which doesn't tie up the network for long; get a *big* report
    or multiple pages of high res graphics and you can bring it to its'
    knees. Most offices that I deal with usually have the fastest, latest
    and greatest printers ( 20+ ppm ) which usually means that you can
    connect to them via parallel, ethernet, ( appletalk ) or IrD. If memory
    serves, the parallel connection should transfer at 350K Bytes per
    second, while the ethernet/appletalk will conntect at the switch/hub
    speed. A direct cable connection ( parallel, ethernet ) will ALWAYS be
    your best connection. Once the data is on the hosting PC, parallel
    won't tie up the network, but it will somewhat slow down the PC it is
    connected to. Ethernet is probably the best connection choice as you
    don't need to leave a PC running and folks can connect to it from
    anywhere local assuming that you have the network setup proper.

    tod

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:57:00 GMT, "John \"O\"" <itsme@freeserve.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >From what I understand there is a main switchboard but my client informs me
    >that there is a independant line available, if this is the case would it be
    >only the one ADSL filter required ??

    If the POTS (plain old telephone service) line goes through an
    electronic switchboard, then DSL will not work. Same with lines using
    Pair-Gain, SLC95, VoIP, and various digital multiplexers. You need a
    POTS metallic connection between either the CO (central office) or the
    RT (remote terminal) to do DSL.

    You have two choices in wiring. You can use a splitter at the MPOE
    (minimum point of entry) also known as the demarc (point of
    demarcation), after the NID (network interface device). This is
    generally best as it isolate the ratty inside wiring from the rest of
    DSL part of the circuit. The wire going between the DSL modem and the
    NID should be a "home run" or direct connection. The splitter has no
    circuitry (except possibly a fuse in the Siecor/Corning incantation)
    on the DSL side of the circuit. The rest of the phones connect to a
    low pass filter in the splitter, thus isolating them from the DSL
    modem at the high frequencies (30Khz -> 1.5Mhz) used by DSL.
    Instruments can be added to the phone line without changing anything.

    The other way is to use microfilters. These are exactly the same as a
    splitter, but with limitations as to the number of POTS instruments
    that can be connected to the microfilter. More simply, the low pass
    section is not as good as the splitter. They're cheap enough that you
    could, and should, attach one to every POTS instrument on the line.
    That includes FAX machines, answering machines, satellite TV boxes,
    CATV settop boxes, modems, computahs with modems, etc. The DSL modem
    gets a direct connection to the line. The most common problem is that
    someone adds a new instrument to the line, and forgets to install a
    microfilter.

    For installation with ratty or lengthy inside wiring, or for marginal
    distances from the CO, or for VHDSL 6Mbit/sec connections, I recommend
    a splitter. For the generic ADSL line, that's fairly close to the CO,
    microfilters work well enough.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    In article <wbYed.151198$BI5.68115@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    John \"O\" <itsme@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    :From what I understand there is a main switchboard but my client informs me
    :that there is a independant line available, if this is the case would it be
    :only the one ADSL filter required ??

    If the ADSL modem is the only thing on the independant line, then
    you do not need -any- filters.

    If there are also phones on the independant phone line (e.g., if
    it is used for fax as well), then you must not filter the jack that
    the ADSL modem is connected to, and you must filter before anything -other-
    than the ADSL modem that is connected to that line.
    --
    Whose posting was this .signature Google'd from?

    > "Walter Roberson" <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
    >> In article <ZHEed.9681$i02.8428@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    >> John \"O\" <itsme@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >> When you are using several PCs with NETBIOS, it is usually a good
    >> idea to dedicate at least one never-turned-off system to be the
    >> Primary Domain Controller (PDC), and perhaps even run a WINS server
    >> on it. Don't just count on the PCs electing a PDC amongst themselves:
    >> even Microsoft themselves say that you can never be sure which
    >> machine will be elected even though the algorithm is supposedly
    >> fixed and deterministic.

    PDCs are not elected. I think you're confusing them with Master Browsers.
    You can force a Windows XP system to be the Master Browser with the
    following registry snippet (other versions of Windows may require slight
    changes):

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]
    "IsDomainMaster"="TRUE"
    "MaintainServerList"="Yes"

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message

    > "John "O"" <itsme@freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Walter Roberson" <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
    > >> In article <ZHEed.9681$i02.8428@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    > >> John \"O\" <itsme@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    > >> When you are using several PCs with NETBIOS, it is usually a good
    > >> idea to dedicate at least one never-turned-off system to be the
    > >> Primary Domain Controller (PDC), and perhaps even run a WINS server
    > >> on it. Don't just count on the PCs electing a PDC amongst themselves:
    > >> even Microsoft themselves say that you can never be sure which
    > >> machine will be elected even though the algorithm is supposedly
    > >> fixed and deterministic.
    >
    > PDCs are not elected. I think you're confusing them with Master Browsers.
    > You can force a Windows XP system to be the Master Browser with the
    > following registry snippet (other versions of Windows may require slight
    > changes):
    >

    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]
    > "IsDomainMaster"="TRUE"
    > "MaintainServerList"="Yes"
    >

    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Your comments have been very much appreciated indeed.

    John

Wireless PCS Wireless Network Wireless Networking