From vista to 7...

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
i currently have Windows vista Home Premium... but now its time to upgrade to 7-
the problem is that i have a 32 bit version and wanted to upgrade to 64 bit, but according to Microsoft, this requires that i will have to delete ALL my drivers and software which is a huge pain, then reinstall them later(the 64 bit version) [:grahamlv:3] ...
is there anyway i could make this less hastle for me?
also, once i install 64 bit, will i be able to change it back to 32 bit without having to reinstall???
thanx in advance... :sol:

Solution
The reason you need to reinstall everything is that there is no direct upgrade path from 32 to 64 bit Windows. Likewise, there is also no direct path going from 64 to 32 bit. In each case, you must wipe the copy of Windows and reinstall everything from scratch.

The reason you need to reinstall everything is that there is no direct upgrade path from 32 to 64 bit Windows. Likewise, there is also no direct path going from 64 to 32 bit. In each case, you must wipe the copy of Windows and reinstall everything from scratch.

Solution

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
thanx...
if i were to only use my PC for gaming, which would be better?64bit or 32 bit?
i heard that most games dont run on 64 bit...is this true?
also, what amount of RAM would you reccomend? (DDR2)

games run perfectly fine in 64 bit Windows. Some older (7+ years) games may have trouble installing in the first place, but applications were never really an issue for 64 bit Windows, drivers were (stressing "were"). For ram, I always say the more the better, but try to aim for between 4GB and 8GB. If you going to be gaming quite a bit, go for 8GB. If games are only going to be a casual use for this machine, stick with 4GB if you want to save some cash.