MadCellist

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Hey everyone!
I am in the rebuild stage for my rather dated amd 1900+ and I would like to replace the mobo/cpu/mem. I see some posts about how replacing the mobo=replace HDD. Is this true? will WinXP not tolerate a new motherboard? Still trying to fit my $600-$1000 budget and hoping not to have to do an entire HDD transfer. Am I crazy?

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Probably what they mean is most likely you will need to reformat your hdd. This is because while you can install a new mobo w/out a reformat, it tends to clog windows with driver conflicts and outdated drivers. But, assuming you have an IDE or SATA hard drive, you new mobo will definitely have and IDE channel, and will most likely have an sata channel too.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

pat

Expert
You dont have to change the whole HDD..maybe just reinstall it. Windows is not tied to the HDD..it is just another software that install on it.

Windows XP doesnt like major hardware change, so either it may run or crash. But it is always a good idea to do a clean install, especially in your case, as it is going to be a big jump in technology, so your new motherboard will have newer feature that need newer drivers. So, a clean install will get rid of the old stuff, running only the newer and avoiding some drivers conflict, crash, freezes,

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

TRENDING THREADS