Can't install XP on ASUS P5GD1

Leceur

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2001
I just bougth an ASUS P5GD1 mobo, an Intel P4 3Ghz, 1Gb RAM and a new XFX 6600GT Videocard. I swapped out all my "old" stuff and placed the new things. I booted up the machine and all was fine. XP started and offcourse I needed to install the Intel chipset stuff, video card drivers,etc but after that it all worked. The machine did seem to start slower then it should and in some games I got some lag, so I decided I would do a fresh install of Windows XP without the old software sitting in the way. With new hardware a new install is always better.
When I boot my machine from the XP CD (NEC 3500 DL DVD writer) I get the normal "Inspecting hardware...." message. This then turns into the normal blue "Windows Setup" screen. After that the machine freezes and I have to reboot.....
As I work in an IT company I have tried different XP cd's but there's no difference. I have also copied a XP CD to a harrdisk (FAT partition) and booted from a DOS floppy. Then in the i386 directory I start WINNT.EXE to setup XP. This all starts but when it wants to "inspect the INF file", again the machine stops. Now either my new mainboard or videocard is faulty or there's something else going wrong......? Any one any idea's?

Thanks

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just a guess... but I assume your old XP installation was to Service Pack 2. For the fresh install, do you have a CD that includes SP2? If not, you may have some sort of hardware incompatibility with the original XP version.

The later copies of XP from Microsoft have SP 2 already on the disk. If you can borrow someone's disk and it works, you can just put in your old product code for your own reactivation.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

G_K

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Scout is 100% correct. No one really come out and says it but as far as I know it is IMPOSSIBLE to install windows XP without integrated SP2 on a PCI-Express system (on a fresh install).

Recently I went through the SAME problem. I just build a 915P PCI-express system.

First I had to change PEG to PCI in the Bios to avoid a PCI.sys error while installing.

Also you have to hit F6 and load SATA drivers FYI if you have them.

THEN Windows XP would not Notice my 300 GB Hard drives at their correct size. ( SP1 corrects this problem) . The origional XP disc would only read my 300 GB sata Drives at 131 GB and as a FAT 16 partition. I tried to load but after the initial load screen, when it re-booted it did not boot to the windows installation screen just looped back to the inital load up.

at this point I opted to get the SP2 integrated version and it installed without a hitch!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by G_K on 01/22/05 09:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Leceur

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2001
Thanks for the reply's. The sollution is unbeleivable....
The XP I had running worked without any issue's so I was wondering why when installing the fresh copy it would lockup and the light on the floppy drive would go on and stay on. I unplugged the floppy cable, did a 180 degree trun and plugged it back in. Now the installation works! So the cable was plugged in incorrectly but then why did it work in the old version??? Software is a strange thing...
Thanks again