Security accidentally enabled?

Bobby

I can't connect my daughter's PC to my home network even though her PC
"sees" the home network. It just won't connect no matter what I do. I
suspect that it might be a security thing.

I do not have security enabled on my router/modem (Belkin) nor my own PC
(WXP SP2, Belkin desktop card). I don't *think* that I have security enabled
on my daughter's PC. But I'm not sure. How do I check?

Would this explain why I can see the network on her machine but can't
connect? The Belkin system tray icon is permanently red when it should be
green. But when I double-click this icon, it sees the home network on the
"list of available networks". I just can't get the damn thing to connect!
Help!

Bobby

On her PC go to network connections, right click her adapter and select
properties. Select the Wireless Networks tab. Check the tab, Let windows
configure my network settings and see if it will connect.
You can also check the security under the config tab after selecting the
available network
..

Bobby wrote:
> I can't connect my daughter's PC to my home network even though her PC
> "sees" the home network. It just won't connect no matter what I do. I
> suspect that it might be a security thing.
>
> I do not have security enabled on my router/modem (Belkin) nor my own PC
> (WXP SP2, Belkin desktop card). I don't *think* that I have security enabled
> on my daughter's PC. But I'm not sure. How do I check?
>
> Would this explain why I can see the network on her machine but can't
> connect? The Belkin system tray icon is permanently red when it should be
> green. But when I double-click this icon, it sees the home network on the
> "list of available networks". I just can't get the damn thing to connect!
> Help!
>
> Bobby

What kind of *error message* do you get? Any? What operating systems are
we dealing with? Is win2K one of them?

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in news:2u1en7F2594isU1@uni-berlin.de:

> I can't connect my daughter's PC to my home network even though her PC
> "sees" the home network. It just won't connect no matter what I do. I
> suspect that it might be a security thing.
>
> I do not have security enabled on my router/modem (Belkin) nor my own
> PC (WXP SP2, Belkin desktop card). I don't *think* that I have
> security enabled on my daughter's PC. But I'm not sure. How do I
> check?
>
> Would this explain why I can see the network on her machine but can't
> connect? The Belkin system tray icon is permanently red when it should
> be green. But when I double-click this icon, it sees the home network
> on the "list of available networks". I just can't get the damn thing
> to connect! Help!
>
> Bobby

It may have to do with the network protocols being used between machines in
order for the machines to network and see each other and share resources.
Or the machines are not in the same Work Group could be the problem as
well.

You should make sure all personal firewalls are disabled on the machines
too behind the router while trying to establish a networking situation
between machines on the LAN side of the router.

It would have been of help if you would have indicated what O/S(s) are
being used on the machines.

The link may help you.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

Duane :)

Bobby

All XPSR1 (except mine SR2).

Cheers.

"optikl" <optikl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Bobby wrote:
>> I can't connect my daughter's PC to my home network even though her PC
>> "sees" the home network. It just won't connect no matter what I do. I
>> suspect that it might be a security thing.
>>
>> I do not have security enabled on my router/modem (Belkin) nor my own PC
>> (WXP SP2, Belkin desktop card). I don't *think* that I have security
>> enabled on my daughter's PC. But I'm not sure. How do I check?
>>
>> Would this explain why I can see the network on her machine but can't
>> connect? The Belkin system tray icon is permanently red when it should be
>> green. But when I double-click this icon, it sees the home network on the
>> "list of available networks". I just can't get the damn thing to connect!
>> Help!
>>
>> Bobby
> What kind of *error message* do you get? Any? What operating systems are
> we dealing with? Is win2K one of them?

TRENDING THREADS